Waterproof digital camera

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by poirierpro, Nov 10, 2008.

1. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I've got the w10 and the w60 they are awesome...
  2. Ray Member

Post Falls, ID
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    I've got an Olympus 1030sw and love it. It goes in my pants/shorts pocket when I'm wet wading and I never have to worry about it. I left it out in a complete downpour while backpacking with no worries. It takes great underwater shots and is a great all around point and shoot camera. It also has a great action sequence option for taking a series of fast photos.
  3. qrider13 Member

pasco, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have the Olympus 1050 sw. I love it and would recommend it to anyone except someone who wants a true divers caomera. Small, lightweight, waterproof ~8ft, shock proof, a truely great fishing camera.
  4. Olympus 790sw water proof shock proof takes good pics. What else could you ask for.
  5. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +230 / 3
    My Costco has the olympus (cant remember if its the 1030 or 1050) right now for $250. Seriously looking at it.
  6. KBarton10 New Member

woodland, ca
    Another vote for the Optio, I have the W20 and am hoping Santa might see fit to toss me a w60. With a 4GB memory stick it's 1120 pictures worth of storage - which I've never come close to using - even on an extended trip.

I don't care much for the 3X digital zoom, but that's more of a general statement that covers all the vendors and cameras - rather than an indictment of this camera.
  7. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +345 / 3
    I posted some pix in the gallery of some underwater shots we took at Sea World in San diego. You can see the quality of the underwater mode.
    Blessings
    jesse
  8. poirierpro Member

Spokane, WA

WOW! Jesse those underwater pics are great!
  9. jasmillo Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    I recently picked up an Olympus Stylus 850 SW and I am very happy. I am going to HI in two weeks and plan on using while snorkeling, fishing, etc. We'll see how it stands up to a daily dunking in saltwater.
  10. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +264 / 0
    Seems a small handful of us are looking at the 1030. I haven't seen any deals on it after limited surfing.....anyone sees a sub 350 deal on it, put the word here and I'll do same.
  11. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Any of the Olympus Stylus SW series. On Amazon you can find reviews of the various models, which should be helpful.

I have the Olympus 725SW (from Costco), and it's a very good camera. The pictures are very good, but not great. However, it's tougher than heck and waterproof, and I never have to worry about if it's going to work or not. I've used the video function frequently, and it's so convenient to take video and stills from the same compact waterproof, durable camera.

I recently listened to a Brian O'Keefe presentation, and he said that he takes his Olympus SW (I can't remember which he head, the 1030 or 1050 or . . . ?) everywhere with him. He loves it. If Brian endorses it, then it's the real deal . . .
  12. poirierpro Member

Spokane, WA

iagree Thats for sure!
  13. jsuyes FFF-CCI

Kent, Wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Great thread. Does anyone have experience with the 1030's in saltwater? Sure they are water proof but are they corrosion resistant as well?

Thanks,

John
  14. Gatorator Member

Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I have the Olympus U720SW. I like it for what it is, a weatherproof camera that is easy to take where it can get wet. It does work fine underwater if you can find the fish.;)

It has some major drawbacks for me though.

You have to frame the picture by looking through the screen on the back. There is no 'look through' like on most other cameras. It is very hard to even see what you are trying to with light at your back.

The same thing applies to changing the settings. They change by pushing a little button and you must scroll through all 22 options to find the one you want. It is hard to see the screen outside in bright light and if you are trying to deal with a fish or action it is darned near impossible.

The lens is digital and thus picture quality is not as good as an optical lens. Even at 7 megapixels. Just as optical recordings, you lose on both ends.

I much prefer my old C-50 when I can safely carry it.
  15. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Nice article Josh and great pics from the WFF users.

I carry a Canon S1 or my phone (with a real good camera for a phone) in a dry bag but it takes too long to get ready for a shot. I have a Rollei 35 that has been repaired (but never been quite the same) after a dunk so I'm ready for an overbuilt weather/splashproof camera. Googling "digital camera waterproof" brings up a hit on a review site where the author has a lot of nice things to say about the Olympus but reader comments are alarmingly negative about reliability. Quite a few users say that their 1030 SWs have leaked from day 1 to a few months after purchase even though they have followed all of the directions in the manual, and when they call or send the camera to Olympus that they are told it's their fault.

This thread is a few months old now and I wonder if there are any 1030 SW and W60 users that can offer any updates.
  16. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
  17. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +496 / 2
    I played with that camera at the PMA trade show. And while I'm typically a Canon fan, in this instance I would suggest that WFF people steer towards the Pentax or Olympus models. The Canon is easily the biggest and chunkiest of the current waterproof cameras. I got the feeling that htye were designing it more for people to use with ski gloves or while snorkeling than while doing something like fishing. It's hard to tell from the images on the web, but the Canon's lens barrel actually sticks out fairly far and so the camera is a lot less "pocketable" then the others in it's class. That having been said, I have no doubt that image quality and user interface will be up to Canon's usual high standards.

There is also the new panasonic TS1 waterproof camera which I also checked out at PMA. Slightly less of a depth rating for this camera than others. But I'm not sure that many people on this board intend to use theirs at 3 meters underwater.
  18. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    Thanks for your common-sense insights into both the new Canon and the new Panasonic waterproof digicams. Like other cameras, it sounds like these each have their own unique strengths and weaknesses. Nonetheless, it's nice to see other players in this product niche.

K
  19. rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

E34
    I own the black Olympus Stylus 1030 SW and its a champ...you'll see (the sweet pictures)
  20. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I use my 1030SW in salt water without fear, even for the occasional underwater shot. But when I get home, it gets a rinse, a buff, I look at the lens and the gaskets on all the little doors just to be safe.
    I paid 400 for mine, and later saw the 1050SW at Costco in Lacey for 200, but still don't regret the purchase at all:thumb: