Waterproof digital camera

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by poirierpro, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    Wow, Thanks! for your insights tkww. I too wish the review had included the Panasonic. The Gizmodo and Digital Camera HQ comparisons agree the TS1 is a more refined camera that gets better images and HD video. The 10 foot depth rating kinda bothers me because I can get even my tired old butt below 10 feet when snorkling and the reason my bride liked the Canon is that the depth rating is adequate for SNUBA. Form factor might make a difference for me though because I would likely want to keep a camera on a strap around my neck stuffed down inside my vest for faster access. Consumer Reports is currently testing both cameras. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

2. Brian Miller

Media:
    OK, I'm obsessed. The tests now include a Pasnasonic TS1 and Pentax W80. Sadly the W80 does not perform as well as the W60. The Canon and Panasonic are co-contenders for the top spot; each having its own strengths so that how it will be used can help define a clear choice for the buyer, in addition to price. I have to admit I'm a Canon Customer Support fan boy for fixing a camcorder I told them my PC broke and a 5 yr old advanced P&S camera with a dead CCD; both for free.

3. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    Yeah, I saw that. I don't know what to say. That is impressive support from canon, and generally I'm a big fan of their compacts. That said, the D10 is just so underspec'ed. When I bought the Pany, the D10 wasn't available, but I wouldn't have chosen it if it was. I refused to get the Optio because of the battery life.

Basically I bought the pany because I wouldn't buy the others. Not the way I like to buy things, but for better or worse I bought it and I'm using it and enjoying it and sure beats not having one!!! ;-)

(Edited: See if you can pick up the w60 on close-out, and get a spare battery for it?)

4. myflysdown

myflysdown Member

I just bought a Oly. Stylus 6000, for Costco for $219.99. One nice thing about the camera, is the touch feature. Just touch the camera and you can change the settings or take a picture. Even works with gloves on. Plus buying at Costco, you get 90 days to try the camera out. If you don't like it or find something better you can take it back. VM

5. Brian Miller

Media:
    My initial observations on the Canon D10. First off it does take beautiful photographs but this is my first PS camera and it shares several PS Cons
    It fits into a fishing shirt bellows pocket but it is bulky
    Menus seemed a bit cumbersome at first, but OK after you get into the first tier of sub-menus
    Exposure settings are made with "scene" program modes. Some slight brightness adjustments and ISO can be changed, but this is my first camera with no full manual mode . I guess most PS cameras have this "feature".
    No viewfinder and the view screen can wash out in bright light
    The biggest Con so far is the proprietary strap attachments. Versatile but if I want a conventional neck strap config I have to buy an $80 kit with a bunch of stuff I don't want.
    Despite the cons, I am very pleased.