waterproof digital cameras

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by toadthedry, Feb 15, 2010.

1. toadthedry

toadthedry Member

HI,

There have been several new waterproof digital cameras that have come on the market in the past months. I've read some online regarding the canon D10, Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1, Pentax W60, W80 and also some of the Olympus cameras. Can people with some experience with these point me in the right direction for use as a fishing camera with some use also as a everyday around the house camera?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    waterprood digital cameras

I don't have experience with any of them, but have put in plenty of research. The Canon D10 seems to be the best option if your doing serious underwater stuff. I plan on using it for snorkeling in rivers and lakes, so I need the D10s 33 feet underwater rating over the panasonic 10 foot underwater rating. If your not going to be taking it underwater that much, I would go with the panasonic. It takes better pictures and has an HD video setting. The other cameras don't compare to these two.

3. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

i have a pentax optio w60 and love it. my son bought it for me on the internet. i just got a pic of a steelie under water last saturday. mike w

4. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:

for what its worth i bought an Olympus simply because I found a great deal on a refurbished model. It is slender and bombproof. I have also shot with the new cannon d10 and it is a great camera.

this is the new top end olympus http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1497&page=features underwater P&S and i would def look into this as well as the d10.

Honestly though most cameras are real good these days, and the most important things are gonna be how well you like the menus, the size/wieght, and battery life.

5. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I purchased the W60 last year (right before they released the newer model) and it's performed great. We use it snorkling, in the pool with kids, for all-around family photos and for FISH.

I don't recommend attempting to change SD cards or batteries while at the beach if the camera has been used underwater. Save that for when you get home and after you've rinsed it well.

enjoy.
    Jeff

6. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Media:
    Hey Mike,

I had one of the earlier Pentax WP's the WP20. It has been bullet proof for me, surfing in Nicaragua, in my jeans pocket, at work, under water, and lots of fishing trips. I have totally abused this camera and it is still taking good shots. I really like it. The camera performs best outside with good lighting but it also takes pretty good indoor shots to.

Recently the company I work for bought me a camera for use on the job. They got me the new Pentax Optio W80. The camera is rated for drops from 1 or 2 meters and can be submerged to greater depths than the early model wp20. It also has 12 Megapixels. Despite all these supposed improvements, I have not been overly impressed, indoor images are consistently blurry and the colors don't pop.

One of my friends who is a pro photog shoots only with Canon, and I have always been impressed with image quality (granted we are talking SLR and not Point and Shoot). I have also been very impressed with my friends Canon point and shoots. They take good pictures in almost all conditions and always seem to produce brighter images. The term I have heard used is Canon Color.

For my next personal camera I am going to go with the Canon D10. I just wish they would slim it down a bit. One other thing that most of the newer Digital's have that the new Pentax doesnt is Image stabalization.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

7. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Taken last month w/ a Canon PowerShot D10. Fired a burst in drive mode, resolution stayed pretty high. Get less blur than with the old Pentax Optio WP.

[​IMG]

c/22

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I purchased the Olympus Stylus Tough-6000 last September. I have not stuck it underwater yet, but have dropped it out of my truck. So far I really like it. I have used it in the rain and with wet hands with no problem. I like it. I think it is a tough camera.

9. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:

I can't argue with Rory's claim that the picture of the Panasonic is better than the Canon D10 because I didn't look at the Panasonic. I received the Olympus 6000 model for christmas and, although I liked how it was built I wasn't impressed with it's picture quality. I too did some research and I really liked the Canon D10. It's ease of use and picture quality is pretty much the same as it's out of the water models.

10. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    I've been using the pentex optio w10 for three years no prolems...almost wish I did have a problem so I'd be moved to get the W80. Takes great pictures, see the albums in my profile for an example of the camera's quality...and remember those pictures are of a lessor quality for the net.

11. Dustin Bise

Media:
    also remember that sometimes the bad pictures are user error or shooting in an envirometn that even a nice SLR will struggle with. a P&S still needs to be used correctly to produce a good image :)

there are some websites like dpreview.com that i would check before any major camera purchase. let us know which route u end up going!

12. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

13. Dustin Bise

Media:
    my main objection to the d10 is it doesnt fit in a pocket well.

14. jpooh

jpooh New Member

another vote for the olympus. I had the older waterproof models, they take decent photos underwater. I'll probably update to the newer tough 8010 when they hit the stores near me. The best part is Olympus finally got away from those ridiculously overpriced xD memory cards in favor of the common SD's. Image stabiliztion has been the reason my last few cameras were olympus. it takes crystal clear pictures even when you're waving the camera around.

15. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I sit next to a person who works at a camera store in class, and I asked him about waterproof cameras and stuff. He said one big issue with waterproof cameras is the fixed lens don't let as much light in as a regular camera. Just a little fact I remembered that I thought might be useful.

16. shawn k

shawn k Member

17. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    A vote for the Panasonic. I have the TS1, and like it. I would like the canon except for the zoom range and it's bulky size. Otherwise I generally like canons. The Panny isn't perfect, but I had the Pentax OptioWP (one of the very early ones), and battery on it was so horrible that it drove me insane. It drained a significant amount of juice while it was off, so between being too small of a battery and sucking the juice out, it was always on low battery when I needed it most. With the Panny, I can shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot--movies too--and not even think about the battery. On a recent fishing trip I shot 5 GB of data, and it took 1 of the 3 battery bars off. I just love having a camera that I can pull out and know it will turn on.

18. Kenneth Yong

Kenneth Yong Member

Media:
    Exactly why I didn't get it in the end. I try to fish light, and the D10 wouldn't have fitted in a shirt pocket, for example.

I finally got the W60 because quite a few reviews said that it actually performs better than the W80 -- apparently due to the fact that the W80 tries to cram too many pixels into what is effectively the same sensor size. The W80 can go deeper, but since I also have a camera with a scuba housing, that didn't really matter. And the W60 was way cheaper.

The W60 has been great so far. It's really compact, slips into a shirt pocket, decent picture quality plus it really doesn't mind getting wet! One caveat: make sure you have more than one battery -- small camera equals small battery equals only about 200 pics or less before you have to recharge.

Here's a sample:

19. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Media:
    Buy the Canon D10 and you to will catch fish like Catch/22.

Nice fish man.

20. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I have an Olympus, and in many ways it's a great camera. It takes very good, but not great, photos. My older Canon P&S cameras take more 'colorful' and vivid pictures. However, my Olympus is really sturdy/durable and certainly waterproof (I stick it in my swimsuit pocket when I swim). It's built like a tank (for it's size, it's quite heavy). One feature it offers that both of my little Canon P&S cameras don't is ease of using fill flash. Fill flash, to me, is a necessary feature when taking pictures, even in the sun, because most of us wear hats and our face is shadowed if no flash is used. It's super easy to set it on the Olympus, and it's a pain on the Canons (you have to set the entire camera to a manual mode instead of just a simple flash override like the Olympus offers). It's time limitation on video is the size of the card. It's an incredibly convenient camera, and I don't have to worry about it.

With that said, I still use my (older, but still good) little Powershot Canon for other non-outdoor/fishing/wet times. Those little Powershots just take beautful pictures.

Could be just me, but I find both my Olympus and Canon P&S cameras seem to shoot more 'blurry' pictures when the batteries are low on charge . . .