Waters West materials

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Steve Knapp, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

This past weekend I made a trip out to the OP. I swung some awesome runs and got some more time on the water with the two hander which was awesome. No fish, but thats besides the point. On the way home I was able to stop into Waters West. Holy $#@! The shop is amazing. The materials are the best I've seen and their dye jobs are amazing. I spent almost an hour just drooling and trying to decide what to buy. I must have picked up and put down a dozen different materials before I made a purchase. The prices are fantastic as well. By the time I made it to Port Townsend, where my wife and I were staying for a couple of nights, I called in another order. The full Guinea skins, Rhea, Arctic fox, and Amherst tails are perfect. Obviously I'm on a steelhead tying binge right now so thats what I was focused on. I've got some tying to do.

If you get a chance, stop by their shop. It is awesome and the guys are great.

JesseCFowl, cabezon, Big_E and 2 others like this.
  2. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

I was really impressed with their selection as well. The custom dyed Arctic Fox is the schiz. Waiting to take another trip to the coast and shop there on the way.
    Keep up the nice work on those Intruders Steve!!

3. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

+1 for the awesome quality of Waters West flytying material. Never been to the store but everything I've ordered from there has been top notch. When comparing items like Rhea, Ostrich, Artic Fox, Guinea, Amherst you get from Waters West to that of big brand named sold everywhere items, there is a very noticeable difference. It may cost a bit more up front but the product is so superior that there is no denying that you will save money in the long run. Have a look at the pics...the bottom material in each pic is the well known brand. I think it's a pretty easy decision where my money is going.

Here's their Ostrich. Top is a jumbo plume, middle is their "Intruder" ostrich, and the bottom is the name brand.
    [​IMG]

Here's their Rhea compared to the name brand on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

I'll be the first one to raise my hand and say that I don't buy from my local fly shop. I can't see paying premium dollars for crap when I can go online and pay much less for the same crap.

Waters West is a game changer though and has definately earned my business.

JesseCFowl and Jamie Wilson like this.
  4. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

I agree as to the quality and selection. Now if they would only open early or stay open later so I dont have to cut my trips to the OP short.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  5. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Steve, was that your first time at Waters West? It would surprise me if it was. Dave has had the premier shop, IMO on the wet side for many years. He has always had the best and most variety of materials, flies and just about everything you could want. I also used to stop by whenever I went to the OP but haven't been up there for a couple of years due to the Elwha being closed but I'm definitely thinking about going up just cause it's such a great shop and great people.

I'm sure your intruders worked perfectly and gave you some new ideas, be sure and let us see them and good luck next time you hit the OP.

Mark

Steve Knapp likes this.
  6. Jeff Peacock

Jeff Peacock Member

A few years ago I struck out for an evening of fishing on the Elwah. Got all the way there and began to get ready when I realized I had somehow forgotten my reel on the dining room table. Crap, I'm nearly 2 hrs from home and was totally psyched for some October Caddis fishing. After whining to myself for a few minutes I decide what the hell, I'll run back to PA and see if I can pick up a cheap reel at Waters West and I might be able to still get a couple hours fiishing in. I walked into the shop and was greeted by Dave's big lab that can't help but put a smile on your face. I sheepishly told Dave had had happened and asked if he had something in stock that could help me out. He walks back and pulls a reel out of a drawer,hands it to me, and says just drop it in the postal slot when you come back through this evening.
    Not only is the inventory in the shop top shelf, but WOW. That kind of generosity = client for life!

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

You can order online or call the shop and place an order, if you know what you want. That would be safer than going in and browsing the racks, where all that eye candy is arranged to induce impulse buying, which in some individuals can set in and drain their wallet down to "barely enuff gas money to get home" in nothing flat!
    (Now I wonder what I can tie up with all this stuff, and where am I going to find the time?):rolleyes:

Their fly bins are awesome, too. Incredible selection of well-tied flies that work on the O.P.

Steve Knapp likes this.
  8. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I was at the Sandy Spey clave and there were a couple of guys tying some gorgeous patterns and their materials were very, very good. I asked where they got their materials and that was the first I had been aware of Waters West. I've dropped some $$ there and they are also great on the phone. I get most of my materials the Red Shed, but also use Tolt and Waters West a lot. Can't go wrong with any of them.

9. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Glad you guys have had the same experience.

Mark, this was my first time in WW, I actually haven't gotten out to the OP very much. That has changed. I can't wait to get back.

I'll post my next bunch of intruders and other swinging flies once I get some time at the vice again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

10. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I've been shopping at Waters West for a while and it's a great shop. Might be the best in Washington State. There materials are awesome. You guys should also check out there Artic and Marble Fox tails. There the best I've found.

11. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

It's better than any shop in Seattle - blew my mind two weeks ago.

I'm with Rob though. I wish they'd stay open a bit later. That's why all fly shops need to turn into a bar after 6PM so I can swing in after a day of steelheading and get my materials and microbrews.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  12. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

When I call in orders from them I get them 2 days later in Manhattan. Always fantastic quality and customer service. Simply the best shop in WA.