Watershed Pram

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tyler Speir, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    What you you pram guys think of the Water Shed Prams? Im in the market for my first pram and I want one that is going to fit me and my daughter. This needs to fit on a rack on the back of a 26' travel trailer so I need something light that I don't have to tow. I was looking at the 10' Water Shed Prams and wanted to get any feed back some of you might have.

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I'm a boat builder and have built many 10' boats in my life. Just from looking at the website I would say it looks like a nice boat and I'm generally impressed. I can't seem to find detailed specs so it's hard to guess how it will handle with two people aboard. Are the dimensions listed anywhere? The main problem with 10' boats is trimming the boat when you have two people in it. You don't want a boat that rides with the bow or stern in the air. In this case it looks like they have the seats in the right position and as long as the passenger is not heavier than the rower it should ride level. Leg room looks a little tight if you're a tall guy. The raised oarlock pads are essential. The most important thing with a boat this size is to try it out.

3. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    Pram Description
    • Center line 10ft
    • Beam 62”
    • Bottom 47”
    • Stern height 27”
    • Transom height 22”
    • Oarlock height 22”
    • Boat weight 110lbs approx.
    • Carrying capacity-2 persons or 500lbs

4. Patrick Gould

Media:
    The dimensions look pretty typical. Should be a good boat.

5. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Tyler
    I have owned one of those same prams. If you have a tall person as a passenger its not too comfortable. It was real wide and stable but hard for me to put in the back of a truck. You also have to be a little more gentle with a glass boat than an aluminium boat. But the price is right. Good luck. Bob

6. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Looks like a nice craft to me. Definitely think about the weight. I have a 10' aluminum that ways 10 lbs more than that and I can't get it into the back of my Dodge by myself. If the weight isn't an issue then I'm sure you would be quite happy. And if your daughter is.anything like my 9 year old she will absolutely love the time spent out in the boat with dad

7. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    She is only 2 right now so size is not really an issue. The only prams that would be lighter would be wood correct?

8. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I can't say for sure as I only have any useful pram experience with my current aluminum but I would assume that to be the case. Mine weighs 120 lbs, which I can move around no problem but it is just too big and akward to get in my truck by myself. I have a trailer for mine so its not a huge issue but the trailer broke last week so I've been trying to figure a way to get it into my truck solo. So far no luck but ill figure something out. I will have to get it in the truck when we take the travel trailer anyway.

If you have a wife or someone who will be around to lend a hand I'm sure you wont have any issue. I'd suggest shooting yellowlab a pm and picking his brain. He is quite knowledgeable on Prams and I'm sure could give you some lightweight options to consider.

9. Patrick Gould

Media:
    I've built some 10' wooden skiffs that are much lighter than 110 lbs but I wouldn't consider them strong enough to use as river boats. A 10 wood pram that would be suitable for river work would generally weigh about the same as the Watershed, but different types of wood boat construction affect the weight.

10. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Tyler:
    Hi fellow flyfisher. I wish I could share some info. about Water Shed Prams for you, but I've never owned one. I have fished out of my Smith Built 10 foot all marine mahogany from Africa fly pram and it does exllent for me and my 11 year old grandson on all the lakes we've been on. I have used both a 46 lb thrust/12 volt and an 80 lb. thrust 24 volt electric motors on it for power as well as the elevated 6 foot natural wooden oars on it, and it has worked out well. It is less than a year old. It has both for and aft anchors as well as a fishin buddy depth finder/fish finder, fly rod holders , removable carpet, enclosed storage area up front, new cushioned sliding swivel seat in the middle of the boat, three carrying handles, and I'll inclued the saltwater edition 46 lb thrust with the boat. I have decided to get a much larger boat for fishing the Columbia instead. It is a very beautifull all natural marine mahogany boat made buy a professional boat builder with 48 years of experience. It only weighs around 90 pounds so it can be put into the back of a pickup real easy. It has 3 oak ribs on the bottom to make it track straight and also protects it against rocks, ect. If you or anyone else are interested in it, let me know and I'll gladly send some pics. of it so you can see how I've got it set up for fly fishing. Thanks and good luck.
    Denny

11. ribka

ribka Active Member

I have one and used the past 6 years. Me, wife and two dogs. WA, BC, SK, MT, WY OR lakes and river. I fish on class 2 or less.

Have no complaints. Throw in back of pick up by myself. Use on the Yak often

12. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    Denny,
    Lets take a look at some pics of your boat.

13. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Tyler: Good morning. I tried to send you some pics of the fly pram at the above address in red, but for some reason my computer said it wasn't a valid address. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I tried to load some on this sight here too, but no luck. Don't know how to do that. Is there another address that might work? You might call me at 1 360 703 7718 if necessary.
    Thanks Denny

14. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page: