Ways To Add Weight To A Spey Reel?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by HauntedByWaters, Oct 22, 2008.

1. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

So I was talking with a fishing buddy of mine today about how it is better to have a spey rod counter balanced by a heavy reel, as in balanced in general. This got me thinking of ways to really dial in the balance until it is perfect, which is mostly a preference to each individual angler. This especially makes sense with a lot of the more modern reels that can be extremely large which is good for spey and yet extremely light.

I was wondering what some of the ways to add weight to a reel are. I was thinking of maybe some very thin lead impregnated line or something like that to wrap on the reel under the backing, or even tungsten type line if that is available.

Do you guys have any of your own tips or techniques for adding weight to reel? It seems like a little dialing in could go a long way towards making a spey outfit even more easy on the body.

2. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
    Years ago, I used to use lead tape on the back of some of my golf clubs to bring more weight towards the sole of the club.

3. wolverine

wolverine Member

Get some 3/16" pencil from a gear fishing friend. Wrap it around the butt. It may not be the prettiest but it gets the rod balanced.

4. C O D Y

C O D Y Oh, this is so good it just HAS to be fattening.

5. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    Jason, you can use some leadcore trolling line on the spool before you put your backing on.
    If I remember correctly, 100 ft is about two ounces-but I'd really recommend weighing it out on a mail scale first.
    the only problem with it is that it really cuts into your backing capacity- but if you use micron over the leadcore, it should work out ok.
    and if the outfit is really unbalanced, a couple ounces will only help a little. You'll be surprised how much weight you have to add, especially on longer rods.
    hope this helps, Bob

6. HauntedByWaters

This looks interesting.

I can't find any info on which reels are compatible and where to buy it. The link just take me to a picture.

7. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Just get some lead-core like was suggested and save yourself 10 of those 15 bucks.

8. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Media:
    The full article can be found here "http://www.beaucatcher.com/Spey_Info.htm" part way down the page. These weights are not for sale. I had mine made by a local machine shop. Any machine shop should be able to do the same for you. I designed them so I could balance a rod without reducing the line capacity of the reel.

9. HauntedByWaters

Yeah that looks like a really cool idea and my buddy has a machine shop.

10. SpeySpaz

Media:
    that bushing picture has got me thinking though-
    maybe I can wrap sheet lead or lead wire onto my litepeed and put some duct tape over it--
    hmmmm.....;)

11. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

Make sure you check the balance or the next time a steelhead takes off it could be pretty interesting.:)

GBeeman

12. herl

herl Member

iagree

It would be best to add the weight to the frame rather than the spool. Any loose or unbalanced pieces could spell disaster when the spool starts spinning.

maybe just lead tape or sheet on the inside of the reel frame.

13. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I've heard, though I haven't done it myself, that one can insert lead (sinkers?, shot pellets?) into the hollow hub of a Pflueger Medalist reel.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Jason,

Think physics and moment arm for a minute. I recommend not adding weight to the reel, especially the revolving part. You'll make your whole outfit heavier by adding weight to the reel to balance it. You will achieve balance with the least weight by adding it as close to the butt of the rod as possible. That would be by removing whatever rubber dohickey is on the end of your rod and stuffing some solid core pencil lead inside the butt end of the rod blank until you get the rod to balance at the desired point, usually where you hold the rod during the swing or about two inches forward of the cork grip.

No charge.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

15. C O D Y

C O D Y Oh, this is so good it just HAS to be fattening.

Both Galvan and The Spey Company make weights that fit in their reels. The reels were designed to accept the weights and makes balancing a spey rod easy. A Galvan reel is a thing of beauty.

[​IMG]

16. sashjo

sashjo Member

I'll play the devil's advocate here. I believe that balancing is overrated especially with a 2handed rod. I prefer to fish a lighter, unbalanced rod and reel over a heavier, balanced one.

17. HauntedByWaters

Good points guys.

Salmo G, has a point; remove the rubber dohicky, see if I can put anything in there, more torq from that point than at the reel.

18. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jason - I asked that question here back in 9/2006 I hoped to open up the butt of my 8126, but got nervous about damaging the rod. I tried wrapping the reel seat with 3/16 lead, but it got in the way of the reel and looked like hell. If I could find some 1/8 or smaller lead, maybe that would work better.

After losing my Ross Canyon 4, which really wasn't big enough for 8wt spey lines, let alone any wraps of lead core under the backing, when LiteSpeed's were being closed out, I got the biggest LiteSpeed they had in the catalogs because I wanted more weight. Not the biggest, I guess, it's the 4. It turns out that these reels are really light. That's why they named them "Lite"Speed, Duh! This inch reel looks kind of dumb, chasing little mid Columbia Steelhead, but, hey, I got lots of backing. I'll never be spooled. Besides, I figure it will work well for saltwater too.

Salmo_g - I thought the desired balance point was right at the top hand placement. If it's right above the corks, I'm there now with the huge Litespeed.

Dec wrote how he likes his old unbalanced reel because the noise and jackhammer effect adds to the excitement during runs. I'm a little odd, I guess, because I prefer quiet reels. I guess it comes from my days sneaking in under "No Trespassing" signs or onto a reservation
    and trying not to attract any attention to myself. I saw that the click on the LiteSpeed is produced by an entirety superfluous strip of plastic like a length of zip strip inside the spool under the handle counter weight that engages a plastic gear on the spindle. Sometimes I feel like just clipping that off with a pair of side cutters, but then I consider haw that might negatively effect the resale value. It looks like I could pull it out of there by using a little allen wench to remove the counter weight.

19. SpeySpaz

Media:
    I'm thinking of adding weight to the nonrotating tower in the center of the reel body, I think adding weight to the spool could get me fragged...:)
    and really, I'm only thinking about it for my 15' rod. I disagree politely with sashjo- one day with a tip heavy 16' rod convinced me! I have a buddy who put a reel weighing a full pound on his 16' rod. says it takes half the effort to cast and fish, and his right hand pain went away.
    I kind of like my shorter rods to be balanced when reeled in and a little tip heavy with line out, I generally swing with the tip just above the water, but that long rod...the perceived weight and effort to fish it are greatly reduced, despite an increase in total weight of the outfit...and this is true for SH rods too. an unbalanced outfit wears you out quicker, especially in 8 wt and up.

20. SpeySpaz

Media:
    the only drawback I can see to this is that the rod and reel would be permanently married then, unless you can figure a way to remove or add weight.

I failed to mention before, but you may have to add ten ounces or more to achieve balance on some spey outfits. would be tough to fit that into the butt of a blank.

Paul, there's several schools of thought about DH rod balancing, but most guys go with the rod slightly tip up when held at your normal grip position during the swing, with your average length of line out. Spey rods have heavy lines so this makes sense. The only guys who balance the rod with the line reeled in are Spazzes...