WDFW Announces Puget Sound river closures for 2012

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Wild Steelhead Coalition, Jan 6, 2012.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Evan,
    I really like that idea and spoke out about doing this years ago (like 1989-90) on the Green River. Close down the hatcheries, close down all fishing; sport, tribe (not much immediate control on commercial's outside Puget Sound unfortunately) and use the system as a test to see how well native stocks replenish w/o any help from us other than maintaining/improving river riparian, creating side channels, spawning creek restoration, etc.

Suffice to say myself and the few others were not the most popular in pushing this line of thought. What turned me that direction was having worked on the wild capture program which sought to move adult fish above Howard Hansen Dam so they could access the watershed they desperately needed. After not seeing the results and becoming concerned we might be doing more damage than just simply leaving them be in the lower river, I and a few others began suggesting the "let's try something completely different"... as you are suggesting now.

I'd love to see one of the WA state rivers used a test to see what might happen. There would still be plenty of other waters to fish and if the results are positive; pick several more and keep building on that track record. Not saying it will work, but it is worth a honest try.

I don't think you, Kerry, Sean and I are that far apart, just some differences in how to go about getting to the end game. One thing I've learned in my life concerning politics and business is that polarized, hard line stances will, more often than not, never yield great results.

Tightlines

2. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    What does any of this have to do with puget sound rivers? Nothing.

I've heard people mention the quinalt tribes seemigly productive hatchery program. Again, what does that have to do with puget sound? Apples to oranges. How are the quinalt natives doing?

I'm not sure what some of you are trying to prove. And I gotta ask, do you call the puget sound S rivers home? How in touch with the river system are you in a given year?

These rivers have issues unique to the sound. Comparing them to coastal streams, SW and eastern rivers is pissing in the wind and they need to be treated as such. Blanket statements do.not apply here.

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Bingo. Puget Sound rivers are a whole different animal. Very different than the coastal streams, worlds different from the Columbia River tribs. The fact is that the fish are not making it out of the sound. Not hatchery fish, not wilds. Pumping more hatchery fish in is not going to bring more back. If the money wasted on failed hatcheries went in to research to find out why the Salish Sea is killing our fish, we might get somewhere.

4. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    So your telling me that the steelhead being caught by tribal gill netters in the puyallup river right now and for the last month is not specific to puget sound? Your right though for the most part it is not commercial fishing effecting steelhead in puget sound but it could be somewhere else up north. I totally agree that more research needs to be done in order to figure out why none of our fish are coming back but I really dont think that closing down the hatcheries would equal a rebound in native stocks especially a significant one unless it was from a different factor such as ocean conditions or runs of fish escaping commercial fishing fleets up north some where else.

Obviously this is a different species but a lot of chinook and coho hatcheries have been closed, and fewer and fewer fish have been released from the existing hatcheries in puget sound and guess what, fishing has got consistantly worse with every year that has passed and every hatchery that has been closed down. Yet there is no increase in native chinook or coho numbers. Now we just have no fish period in area 11 and 13 hatchery or native.