WDFW needs help with clipped vs. unclipped resident coho

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, May 11, 2006.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

For the past several years I have been in contact and provided information from my fishing journal to Andy Appleby who heads up the delayed release coho program for Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. I was talking to Andy this week and he mentioned WDFW would like to get information about the number of clipped vs. unclipped resident coho. It seems like WDFW is uncertain what the percentage of resident coho that are wild fish(30%?) He asked me to keep a record of clipped vs unclipped resident coho which I catch in the near future and send him that information.

Andy said that approximately 20% of delayed release coho become "resident" coho in Puget Sound. For example, 1.8 million delayed release coho(6-7") will be turned loose from the Squaxin Island net pens(joint Squaxin Tribe and WDFW) sometime this June. So approximately 360,000 of these fish should become "resident" coho to provide us with an enjoyeable Fall, Winter, and Spring fisheries.

I hope that some of you other resident coho flyfishers would be willing to help Andy out and keep a count/record of unclipped vs. clipped which you have caught. Data can be sent to his e-mail address(appleaea@dfw.wa.gov).

Next Nov. I will bring this thread back up to remind those flyfishers who would be willing to participate.

Roger

2. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Thanks for the headsup Roger.

Leland.

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yep...Thanks. :)

4. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Will do Roger. Now I can tell my spouse that I have to go fishing....WDFW needs my help! :clown:

5. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

That's a wonderfull excuse and I am going to steal it to use with my wife.:thumb:

6. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

ummm....honey....i have to go because i'm part of a scientific research team coupled with wdfw researching resident coho in the sound...

that's sure to work. i will probably need a new rod for that too.
    :rofl:

7. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Roger, once again, you're a service to the resource and this community. Cheers! :beer2:

8. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Roger,
    Does Andy just need info on just clipped Coho caught, date and where? or would additional categories be helpful? like presence/absence of sea lice, size...?

9. martyg

martyg Active Member

Man I couldn't even catch a silver this spring if my life depended on it.:beathead:

However catching SRCs in the South Sound yesterday was like shooting fish in a barrel.:beer2:

10. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Jim:

Andy would like those flyfishers willing to participate to keep a tally of the number of unclipped and unclipped fish which were caught in the future. I have a plastic windshield on my boat so I have a crayon to keep a running tally by marking on the windshield.

To answer your other question, since Nov. 2003 Andy has asked that flyfishers in Marine Areas 10,11, and 13 provide him with information about their encounters with resident coho. What I have done is provide him with a yearly summary table of requested information from my fishing journal up until 1997 and am working on 1998 to present. Once I get caught up I will send him a yearly summary table. The table headings are: date, location(general ex. westside Tacoma Narrows), number of fish caught, size, feeding on(amphipods, krill, sand lance, etc.), behavior of fish(schooled, shallow water, or open water), numbers of fish(just a few, small school, can't remember seeing so many, etc!!). I use codes for the table: ex. westside Tacoma Narrow = NW, amphipods = A, few fish = F, etc. Andy has indicated that there are other flyfishers which are providing information.

Since we are a user group that enjoys the resident coho fisheries, I strongly believe that we need to get involved to help WDFW manage and understand this fisheries. WDFW has used wire coded fish and radio telemetry(Squixin Tribe still doing it) to monitor and track the movement of the resident coho. Maybe we can help them fill in a few pieces of the puzzle with our data and observations. In my opinion, the resident coho fisheries has gone way downhill since the heydays of the early 1990's and before. Andy's data shows such a trend. Hopefully this trend can be reversed with a better understanding of this fisheries. WDFW and Squaxin Tribe are committed to the resident coho program and we should as well with any input that we can provide.

Roger

11. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Roger, anything that we can do to help the tribe and fisheries keep this wonderful resource has my full support. I will be keeping a tally to report annually.

By the way, I would be glad to help you tally the results from your fishing journal. Being a finance professional, you would have confidence in the accuracy of your numbers.

Best regards, Steve:thumb: