WDFW on Puyallup

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Sep 2, 2013.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    My wife and I went for a long walk this morning along river road trail (Fred Meyers heading west). Seeing only a few rigs on the north levee road on our drive there, I got to wondering if this section of water was closed. Not planning to fish that nut-house fishery, I'd not paid too much attention, but did recall the state deciding to close the lower section of the river this year due to the conflicts with tribes last year and the prior pink year.

On our walk, we saw several folks fishing on both sides of the river, but after the recent hordes of folks, pretty much then figure it must have closed. On our return, we saw the WDFW with what looked to be about 20 guys right near the bridge. Fish were being loaded into the back of a cooler in his p/u and I suspect some tickets were getting written. Sure enough, river is closed...kinda weird set of dates too...damn rules are complicated enough...just shut the whole friggin thing down and save some folks the added aggravation of getting fined just trying to enjoy a holiday weekend.

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/erules/erule.jsp?id=1336

2. Jon Q

Jon Q Member

Tickets are deserved they should have been aware of the updates to the regulations.
    The bottom line is this, there is no sports fishing on the Puyallup River from the 11th street bridge to the Freeman Road and North Levee Road during the time the Indians are netting. The tribe began netting Sunday the 1st and again on Monday the 2nd. The river will be open again to sports fishing on the following dates, Sept. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20,21,26, 27,and 28th. Before you go salmon or steelheading make sure you check for updates and emergency closers.

Chris Johnson likes this.