We doin' this again or what?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Burke, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

My pontoon would be atop my SUV, there is a free seat up there. This seems to be a cool group, I'm sure some arrangements could be made. I'm already picking up one other passenger so room might be tight in my humble rig, but there are 15 pages of chatter by those who claim they are headed that way.

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Depends on what my schedule looks like, I may be able to take someone if they need a ride. I have an extendicab, so could take a couple. Just need room, so won't be able to sit anyone behind me though. But could take one, maybe two. I'll either be leaving Friday or Saturday. Hopefully Friday early if I can get the day off.

3. Ed Call

You should hijack a big brown vehicle...lots of space!

4. Jerry Daschofsky

With the state of the economy, I don't know if I'd want to be on the unemployment line with the years of service I have in now. But this is my rig.

[​IMG]

The bonus is, my trailer will hold alot of gear. Torn down pontoon boats, cooking gear, camping gear, etc. Then my truck has shelves, and can sleep on them. Could sleep 8 people in there. Plus more storage. Hmmmmmmmm, could be an option. LOL

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'll bring this setup instead (except I'll probably have my alaskan on instead of the security camper in the pic).

[​IMG]

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Well I ain't coming that way I usually end up driving around and end up going thru Aberdeen. The road is much straighter down there.. But if I see somebody with a fly rod down in that area on thursday I'll pick him up.

I hope you will all do a sun dance because last year the weather sucked big time. Nothing but rain and snow. And I have now lost my web feet after moving to Montana, where it never seems to rain.

Jim

6. Ed Call

Jerry, I was thinking that your truck would have a web ceiling net to stow some soft gear or stuff that needs drying out, some drop cots that could accomodate a few bodies and then lots and lots of room on the bottom. I've been inside many of those brown, yellow and white type rigs sniffing out all the cookies in care packages if you get my drift. That back trailer is so bonus. Your alternate private rig seems every bit as capable though.

7. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Watch out for that new Aberdeen Pass Bridge Jim; I hear it is going to be 300 feet high!:eek:

8. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

I will be there for sure monday, and tuesday. I might be leaving sunday night.

9. Hoopa

Hoopa cantreMember

Put me on the list. Me and my pontoon will be there Tuesday, Wednesday. First time on the Hoh so will use discression with the pontoon.
    ForrestM

10. Ed Call

Hoopa, when I floated it last weekend with my friend it was my first time seeing the river from the Oxbow down to G and L Shake. There were a few areas that concerned me, but we did them all quite fine. Those more sketchy areas did have ample room on one bank to tether a pontoon and wade it through the rough spots. I've had others suggest a good scout of what is ahead, a good bow line to walk your boat through sketchy spots and a good PFD. You'll be there and home by the time I depart, let us know how your adventures went. Ed

11. Jerry Daschofsky

It's been a good year and a half since I last floated the Hoh. But normally the Oxbow down float is pretty mild compared to Park down to Oxbow. The slack water Mumbles was talking about is usually there. Gets worse when you hit below G and L and start hitting that tidal influenced water. I prefer the upper river. But, I haven't been up there since this last flood. Heard what Triggs said, and have a few friends who have done it since. Sounds like you just have to scout, scout, and scout to judge it. I may still bring my DB, but definitely my cat and spare toon. If I get out there on Friday early, may do a scouting/fishing run in my steelheader from Morgan's down to Oxbow to check it all out.

12. Hoopa

Hoopa cantreMember

Thanks fellas. I'll do a bit of web surfing to see if there are sweepers or find what class rapids are on the upper river at expected flows. I ain't no kid anymore looking for thrills and do wear an inflatable pfd, carry a 50' rope to line the pontoon thru hairy water. Nor do I want to lose any gear in a flip. I once holed, flipped and sank a drift boat on the Trinity losing my best two rods and reels. Did save the cooler of beer.

13. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Oxbow down was pretty easy last week except for the lack of water

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Jeremy, it's always been the easy float. Can't remember it ever really being that technical. I used to drift our old pram down it as a kid (as in age 10-11). Just alot of frog water. Even on high water, just runs a bit faster, but not much to it.

Hoopa, what float do you plan to do?

I do think we should try and figure out or own shuttles. Say if I bring my DB, Can toss a bunch of guys in my truck, stash the toons to my boat, and all launch at same spot. Then one guy driving me back to pick up the truck.

15. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

I've updated the list on the first post/first page. Am I missing anyone? Not that it matters. Just curious.

16. Ed Call

Jerry, I'm up for some coordinated efforts for shuttling. Maybe in the AM we can put your DB in the sand at the Oxbow, drive your rig down to G & L for the takeout. I can follow you, drive back up to the Ox and we can hit it. I'm sure many others would be willing to do the same. I'm all for turn around service, but with so many of us there I'd be up for saving the cash.

17. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

This thread has almost 7,000 views. What thread had the most? Is it the forum rules? Anyone. Mumbles, that avatar.....I thought we talked you out of that one?

18. Ed Call

Buck, Pan got a new boat, told me that I could be his friend if I changed my avatar. He did not give any specifics so I went back to my old avatar. For a half rack I'll change it back to the other one.

19. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Look how he has worked the value of his avatar. If yours is worth a half rack, what's Mingo's worth?

20. Ed Call

The full beer truck before it has made a single delivery! Here is to Mingo.:beer2: