We doin' this again or what?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Burke, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    My wife say's the same thing when I am about to be gone a week Jim.. Gotta get those licks in while you can!

2. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    Not sure if any of the non-local guys know this but there is a possible razor clam dig in the calander the weekend of the Hoh down, so if anyone is on the search for some greatly tasting sea food treats it might be worth hitting the beach for 30 min of your day and grab a limit of clams. Found out today that I will definitly be up there for the weekend, maybe the week next so I hope to see some of you guys on the river. So if you see an older kid in a pair of Dan Bailys with a centre pin and a pink worm....dont throw rocks at me. :clown:

Jake

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    OOOOOOOOOOOO. Razor clam dig huh? Morning or night tide? Damned, I could make fresh razor clam fritters. Damned you Jake!!!! I may have to bring my shovel with me.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Centerpin and pink worm? I'm tossing mad rocks, big as I can hoist.:thumb:
    I've got my avalanche shovel in my truck, will that dig up a razor clam? I've got my full combo license but have never dug razor clams, only little butter clams and stuff like that. I can bring a clam rake basket thing, hand trowel or one of those long slender clam shovels. My wife uses that stuff sometimes on our beach while I fish. Recommend what would do the trick and I'll pack it in my rig.

5. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    My mom makes great steamed clams. We have a place on the canal and there are millions of clams and oysters on our property. She adds garlic, celery, carrots, onions and of course steamed clams together. The broth is great for dipping bread. I'm so looking forward to this summer.
    You guys are gonna have a blast! Damn job. If I didn't need the business so bad I'd be there.

6. Ed Call

Media:
    Attention two handers that might consider showing me how to cast one of those persnickety rods: If you were to invest some camp downtime to offer some guidance on simple two handed casting techniques, what type of beer would you be drinking? Simple question, either you are interested in helping a COOLASHELLDUDE out and like _____ beer or you are not interested and this COOLASHELLDUDE could give a crap less about the ______ beer that you prefer!:thumb:

T-48 hours until my road trip begins, it is a long and torturous trip, but I'll be fishing in t-72 hours or less.

7. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
  8. Ed Call

Media:
    Guinness. I can do that. Change my avatar? It is either current Mumbles with the bucket hat, upside down bucket hat Mumbles, bald Mumbles with the soul patch or shirtless/hatless Mumbles. There is no naked Mumbles. Why, are you spooked out by my avatar? Like being watched in the woods or riverside?

Off to do the required reading, and thank you!

9. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    Any reports? Fishing or otherwise for those of us that are stuck at work...

10. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
  11. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    That makes two of us Mumbles! I am getting my new spey rod dialed in with the right line today, and will make attempts at casting it this weekend. Maybe we could pool our beer resources and have a mini spey casting clinic to rival the Spey Days happening on the other side of the sound on the Skagit?! But God knows I need some help! It's ugly :eek:

12. Ed Call

Media:
    Dinker...pooling of beer - Good Idea. Read Bill's required reading. Great presentation using less technical terms than what has overwhelmed me a bit. Makes a good read.

Don't stand within 50 yards of my anchor point!

After a day of fishing we can unwind by getting spey lines wound up. I'm sure that would make for some campsite entertainment, fodder for the fire and posts here later.

13. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    Might be a good idea to check the tides but I am pretty sure it is an early morning dig around 7 AM. I will definitly be hitting the beach on my way up there as them damn things just taste to good to not grab a limit. Mumbles, Im sure that will work. It might be hard digging them if its your first time as you cant really just go a dig freely upon the beach and expect to be in and out, you must spot the "dimple" in the sand and then start digging before they dig to deep. At least if you go home fishless you can still say that you got something out of the deal. :thumb:

jake

14. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Mumbles; bring two big shovels.

15. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
  16. Ed Call

Media:
    Thanks Bob. That keeps me from lugging more crap out to the Hoh. My list of crap to pack is growing and growing. Fishdontcare will be arriving riding atop my pontoon as all the passenger space in the cabin of my POS Pathfinder will be full of useless crap.

17. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    If it's a morning dig, I'd rather go fishing and be out on the water then do the dig. But razors are totally different then butter clams. But I like them. Batter them up and fry them. Yummmm. You'll want an actual clam shovel. Which is like a long spade (guess that's best comparison). I have several. But yeah, Jake is right, if you don't know what you're looking for you could have a hard time. I sight dig in the surf, so get them near the top. If you don't know what you're doing you'll drive them down fast. And they are called razor clams for a reason. If you do decide to dig, always dig with your hand TOWARDS the surf, not towards the beach. Their shells literally are like razors (hence the name).

I bought all the food. It's packed away and only stuff sitting is the refrigeration/frozen stuff. So we're good to go. :)

18. Ed Call

Media:
    Screw the clams. I'm coming to NOT catch big native steelhead!

19. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    It was already Bonked... :(

20. Ed Call

Media:
    Alas! Maybe I'll stumble upon some willing whitefish or a decomposing carcas to apply a hook point to and get my line stretched, rod bent and photo taken.