We doin' this again or what?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Burke, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    FDC, if you are flying in I can certainly schedule some shuttle service. I'm thining of buying a new toon...and am considering selling my current one. Maybe I'll keep it for now so that someone else could use it.

Oh, PT, that is some funny shit!

Jim, don't go dying. Who the hell cares if it rains. If there are rooms in use, great. I've got some tents, some better for rain than others. If losers like me are not excluded I might not mind floating fifteenth through some hole and picking up the mystery fish that all STUDS before me could not entice to rise. Ha, how is that for some shit talking from a non steelhead experienced fly flailer?

As a full time but non benefit employee right now I'm not earning any vacation...so I guess I can take time off as my self generated benefit.

2. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Mumbles,
    Do you posses anything like a large old army tent? Good for say...a chow hall/poker room/place to hang at night? Something big!
    Pancho.

3. Ed Call

Media:
    Buck, admittedly I do not. I can ask around though. I do have a 10x10 canopy with walls that I bought to do outdoor presentations and crap...like at a farmer's market. I have a large family cabin tent with a screen porch, it is probably also 10x10 plus the screened area. There have to be some of the "Cast and Blast" crowd that have a huge tent like an old Temper Tent.

Who else out there has such a sheltering/partying device?

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have a big shelter, just to damn big to tow along. I never bring it, since it's not really that portable. The poles alone fill up the bed of my pickup. Think my buddy still has it, he's using it at his house still. Borrowed it for his yearly halloween party. I do have my 10'x20' tent. Just has screen sides. But it too takes up room, just not as much as the other tent. Wouldn't be hard to put a wrap around it. But other buddy has that one too. LOL.

If I go, I'll probably put my Alaskan on and camp out of that. Wouldn't be hard to put tarps up and make a makeshift area. How I normally setup my basecamps at Oxbow campground. Usually have my big tarps and set them up first, then when I'd put up a tent I'd find the high spot under it and put it there.

I do have 2 10'x10' ez ups. Use it for the camp cooking thing. No walls on them though.

5. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Jerry, I'm really hoping you can make it because I'd like to get some camp cooking secrets from you. Also, I could bring my buddy's (gas) smoker and we could do a brisket/chicken or even salmon in it. It would be pretty easy. But like you I have to see how the whole timing thing works out. Not sure if it's in the cards. Either way, if it poured down like mad and there wasn't a community tent of some, kind that would really segregate everyone.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    If people wanted briskets, pulled pork, etc, I could toss my gas smoker in. Have all the stuff to bring it all with. It's all in the prep work when it comes to running a camp (and designating people to bring some of the food for you to cook lol).

7. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Jerry,
    I'm not going to speak for everyone, but just about everyone. Yes, I'm certain brisket and pulled pork is going to be a hot commodity with the guys after a cold ass day of fishing. Bring that shit! Maybe a head count of all those that are going to have dinner on ".....day night" put money in a pool for the meat.
    I could help with the prep/bringing items for the cooking. I could also stop at my folks place on the canal and get some smelt, clams and oysters for the cook out too. We could shuck the oyster, fry the smelt and do like a clam soup, i could hook that up!

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    We have to see what days it is first. Could do some deep fried oysters, tons of homemade fries, fresh battered onion rings, smoked smelt, etc. Not hard to do. But depends on the dates. Have to lock something in soon, may be a go. But brisket is an all dayer. So is pulled pork. But we could work around that. Especially if we camp at the Oxbow, used to be a couple good wading spots nearby. :)

9. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    I tried smoking smelt and it tasted like shit. What kind of brine do you use? or do you use one? I have found that flour/panko then frying them is great! But let me know if you need any help. I could bring fire-wood too.

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    I do both actually. Just a quick drop in flour and toss into a hot pan. But when we would smoke them, just a simple salt water brine with some brown sugar in it then alder smoked until almost crisp.

Will let you know. I'll be bringing at least 2 maybe 3 of my camp stoves. Then maybe my smoker. We'll go from there. Can always use help, that's for sure.

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    i seem to have a curse when it comes to actually getting to fish on the OP. I'm supposed to be there right now... lame

anyways, i'd be in if everything works out for me. i have no boats or anything useful to contribute though. just my bad self

12. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    I will go to the mount and speak with god regarding T's. There was probably 20 or 30 cars around the Oxbow. One shiter. No water. No light. It takes a cord of wood to dry out the burn pit. We need several cords, if you can keep them dry. Matney had the A frame blue tarp/King dome. He hasn't chimed in on this so he may too good for us white trash. As you travel up the Hoh, there are some smaller, two car plus campsites. I'm not really sure what the big debate is on living conditions. You are only doing two things over there. Either fishing or sleeping. No luxury in the rainforest. If you are not careful you can die on those rivers. Prepare accordingly. Aint no sponsors teaching some damn class either.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    What? No flycasting displays? No flytying clinics? What kind of outing is this? LOL!!!!!

It's nice to have a good basecamp though Matt. If we're hunting or fishing, we have a stocked and ready basecamp for when we come back. I'm trying to talk my Dad out of his old posts. Think they can be bought out of Cabela's though. Makes it so you can take a standard tarp and make an awening out of it with help of some stakes and rope. We used to make shelters all the time at our elk and deer camps. Usually more a mess hall/lounging area if weather went crappy at night (while we were hunting or fishing, wasn't a big deal).

Most of the time, I just put up a simple tarp I'd string off on trees and such. Just made sure to put enough slant so water would drain off. LOL.

14. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    I would love to make it to this outing. I missed it last year, and am still in the hunt to pop my steelhead cherry. Maybe the Hoh could help!
    Don't know what days I'll be there yet, but should soon.

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ok, that just sounded plain wrong Dinker. LOL.

Can attest that I caught my first steelhead on the fly on the Hoh circa 1980. That's been a kind river to me over the years, probably why I love it so much.

16. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. Ed Call

Media:
    Jerry, how is the Hoh to float? I have hiked along it for many miles. I fished a short stretch out of my friend's drift boat many years ago. I would hope to be pontooning it in the sections near any potential camp or stretches that are not terribly technical. Thanks.

18. Ed Call

Media:
    Matt, nice artwork...is that first caption directed at OMJ?

19. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Mumbles I haven't rowed the Hoh in about 2 years, so not sure how it's changed. Morgan's down to Willoughby isn't bad at all usually. It's usually the Oxbow and just below Willoughby that gets most people. Not really that hard, but enough rocks to put you under if you're not running the right line. Nice thing with the Oxbow, you can pull off to the right and walk it down. Have a long lead line and let your toon go for a ride. LOL. Have seen guys do that, I usually just run it. May bring my 10' Steelheader with me. Figured we may have shuttles there, or toss our boats in a DB of someone heading downriver.

20. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh, and since you're in a pontoon, will bounce you around. Doubt willoughby would flip you, but would jar you pretty good. Now oxbow, not sure if the drop has changed. But if you hit that wrong, that could toss you over. Have seen that once. Buddy in a fishcat missed a few oar strokes and went over sideways. Thankfully his gear was lashed down to the boat.