We doin' this again or what?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Burke, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +568 / 5
    I'll have my Camper on my truck. In all my years fishing out there, never have had a hotel room. Usually either tent, trailer, or camper it.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,234 / 9
    I might be towing a pop up tent trailer. Anyone know if there are appropriate RV parks with plug ins, primitive places to pull out or other options? I'll likely be trying to do it on the cheap, in a tent, tent trailer, sleeping in my SUV, spitting a hotel/motel or cozying up to a bear in its cave. Kidding about the bear...not interested in hearing about all you guys who are making buddy snuggling plans either, keep that crap to yourself.
  3. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Are you kidding me? If you wants lights, you have to bring your own power. Same goes for water, if you want it, bring it along. All that is at the oxbow is a shiter and parking spots. That is all you need.
  4. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Well...there is a few other things you all need to know. Never under any circumstances are you to pass out from drinking in front of this crowd. I like sleeping in my car. I like to think that if rounds get thrown on the fire, that inside the vehicle they may not penetrate. As with any gathering of testicles, there will be snot slinging, pissy puke drunks everywhere. I sleep thru it behind locked doors, wake up before anyone else, think about cutting a few throats while they sleep and I go fish. Beyond that, I figure it's like leading a horse to water. You can't always make it drink. So you horses just be happy with what you get and I know I have Zero front money for shirts on this event. I’ll be there to fish.
  5. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    :clown: Now there's a happy camper! :hmmm:
  6. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Well that sound all pretty manly, not sure if I can handle it or not.....better bring my mother just in case. LOL. Although, splitting a room or sleeping in my SUV sounds like a good option. The tent, well, it's just not as flat and sound proof. Not to mention wind and water-proof. So, Oxbow, nothing but dirt huh. I suppose I could figure out how to charge the lap-top from the car, but a room is sounding better all the time.... :)
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,404 / 0
    I take it you have never fished with Matt. He's all business when it comes to fishing and from the many times I have fished with him I have found out that he doesn't drink. Smoking is different. He gets up and goes when most people are asleep. But he is fun to fish with. I just wished that I could of kept up with him back then but I was in my high 60's then and was a step or two behind him.

He's the one I used to like to fish with.

Jim
  8. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,387 / 0
    Camping at Oxbow ain't that rugged. Frankly, I don't understand how anyone who can't handle camping at Oxbow can have the modest physical attributes necessary to effectively fly fish for steelhead. It's winter steelheading for cripes sake. If you don't know how to stay warm and dry when it's cold and wet, you really don't belong on a steelhead river. Just being candid here.

Sg
  9. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    I believe there is a RV camping spot not too far south of the hwy 101 bridge over the Hoh, if my memory serves me correctly. It is on the W side of the hwy. Haven't been up that way recently, so I don't know if it is open.

I'm not committing to anything, at this point. I bailed on going last year, and I hate winter camping if its raining all the time or snowing.
  10. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    I've never been to the site but I'm sure it's like most other NW camp sites. There will be dirt, some trees, a place to park a car, clear ground and if your lucky a fire pit. :beathead:
    I'm leaning toward the motel. :)
  11. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    iagree
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,404 / 0
    Ouch.

Jim
  13. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Is this a camping thing or hotel/motel thing? If so, how does the whole food thing work?
    Why don't we just rent a huge house and split the cost? We could have guys crashing everywhere. It would be really cheap and would be a lot of fun. Plus the food thing would be a bit easier.
    Buck.
    I just talked to a lady who has a house for rent and it sleeps 10. Full stocked huge kitchen w/ stove,coffee pot, and microwave,2 baths, a BBQ, free wifi, a garage with boat storage, a fish cleaning station, a fireplace, deck........165/night. Available from the 22 till the 28th.
  14. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,387 / 0
    Sorry Jim. I often stay at motels or hotels for convenience, but when the outing is in a campground, I camp. And if a guy, or gal, can't stay halfways comfortably warm and dry while standing waist deep in the river while it's pouring down rain, he or she ain't gonna' be very effective at the winter steelhead game. Otherwise it's sort of like wanting to fish for steelhead but wanting to be able to do it indoors.

Sg
  15. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Got to Agree with Salmo g on this. Last year we endured rain, snow, and myself I took a short float down the river without a boat for a little ways. Had to walk out about a mile though the snow back to my truck but never felt the cold. Put on the dry cloths at the truck and to town for some drier action at the local laundry then to the fire for some internal warmth after drinking about 1/2 of a 5th. I was lucky since my coats keeped me mostly dry and the wadder belt was tight letting in only a little water.
    Only old man Jim stayed in a motel out of the whole group and I will excuss that due to him driving all the way from Montana. We all were up to fresh snow each morning and all fished hard though a few like myself caught nothing but a good buzz it was still a good time.
  16. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Jim,
    I couldn't resist making a comment on that statement...too funny! I understand about the business end of fishing. I tend to have a few beers, and probably won't be the first up in the morning, I just hope my throat is still intact ;)
  17. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +568 / 5
    I have to also agree with Salmo G. It's not that bad. Primitive, but not harsh (and when I say primitive, I mean in the hookup sense). I've spent many a days camped at the Oxbow. One of my favorite places to camp when I'm fishing the Hoh. I'd say the majority of the time we tented it over the years. But have slept in the back of my K5 Blazer many a times, then my campers, and think I've brought my trailer once. It's steelheading, not bonefishing in the tropics. LOL.

And, I would call this a "gathering". Place to fish, but also hang out, drink, eat and BS a bit.
  18. Bitter Rocklark Malma Confluensis

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Count me and my bottles in. Always look forward to the first camping trip of the season despite its wetness.
  19. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    So is that where we're staying/camping? The Oxbow Campground? I'm not sure if that has been decided upon yet.
  20. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +208 / 1
    I've got the whole week off with the wife. We will be there. Going to be in the motorhome/rolling palace. so I don't know if there will be room at Oxbow. Might have to stay up at the park.

I was just wondering if anyone was interested in towing my drift boat over?:rolleyes: I'll be towing the car and unfortunately can't take both. This ain't Montana.

I live in Edmonds, so pickup wouldn't be much out of the way for anyone taking the ferry over. It's a 14' Fishrite with a good trailer.

There's a open seat with someones name on it.:)

Jeff

Attached Files: