We made a fly tying box

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by JackJester, Feb 8, 2011.

1. JackJester Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    My Brother built me a fly tying box as an Xmas present. He built the frame out of mahogany and cherry, and his wife painted some nice NW art modeled after a Joe Wilson pic. Here’s the box closed:

View attachment 38795

The box was empty on Xmas day and we went off exploring ways to fill it with compartments and attach the tying vice, etc. We found this picture on the web and used it as model:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-37115255191728_2136_46991361

So, Super Bowl Sunday, we drank beer and went to work. We added the compartment dividers, and got a nice piece of hemlock plank to support the vice. The hemlock is on hinges so it folds out of the box. It has a wood support that swings out on hinges. We cut up some plexi-glass for doors over the side compartments. Fashioned dowel rod pieces for supporting thread spools. Got some stretch straps to secure hackle and such. We put in a small bolt slider to lock the vice panel into place (through the wood support) so it won’t move when tying flies. Lots of little things that had to be done. Still need to get some foam to store the tools under the vice plank. Drum roll…………. here’s the completed product pics (empty and filled):
    View attachment 38794 View attachment 38793 View attachment 38792 View attachment 38791
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,471 / 9
    Oh that will never do. I'll come pick it up to take it to the recycling station. Honestly, that is some really nice looking art and craftsmanship.
  3. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +365 / 1
    Looks great. What are the little silver clips around the edges? When are you going to have mine done and how much is it going to cost me?
  4. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +384 / 0
    Yeah, that is sweet!
  5. JackJester Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Jeff, not sure what you are referring to, but there are silver clip corner brackets to protect the edges since I know I will be banging it into stuff a lot. This a mobile fly tying bench for camping trips that I'm sure will see lots of abuse. Hopefully not too much. My previous "mobile bench" was a breakfast-in-bed tray that I clamped my vice to and a big bag of stuff. This was a very rewarding project. It took about 25 hrs of fun labor. I had Wood Working 101 in high school many moons ago (with Brother Bill in Catholic school as the instructor that lost a finger in the wood shop....hmmmm), so I'm not a master carpenter to say the least. I think the average Joe could handle it.
  6. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +365 / 1
    Took another look at the photos. I now see they are the hinges for the plastic covers. very nice.
  7. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +241 / 0
    Very nice, JJ. I just throw stuff in a plastic tub. Your solution has a real touch of class.

Steve
  8. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +237 / 3
    That is sweet. That's how I would like to roll on my fly-fishing travels. If you have any desire to make more let me know. I'm sure appropriate compensation can be agreed upon.
  9. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +567 / 0
    Very nice.
  10. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Great job even if just for the fun of it. makes it worthwhile too.
  11. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    Wow. It really puts my milkcrate to shame :(
  12. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +225 / 1
    Pretty snappy JJ! :thumb::thumb:
  13. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    That looks great!
  14. willburrrr2003 Member

everett, WA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    A fantastic Job, anyone who ties would love to use it!!! Did I mention I have a birthday in a couple weeks ;)
  15. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    Man, sweet box and great brother. I wish I had a brother that could do that. Any thought of possibly making and selling those. I would be the first in line.
  16. JRSly Oncorhynchus clarki clarki

Bellingham, Washington, USA.
    I have to admit, that's a little prettier than my sticker covered briefcase I use for my travels. I often tell people, a good tying kit for travels makes every trip an awesome trip. If the rivers are blown... hang out and tie some flies, if the fish are being really selective and you didn't bring it... tie some up, if you are on your lunch break at work... tie some flies (completely serious). What I'm getting at is that's an awesome looking box and I'm sure you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. My tying kit is the second thing I pack, right after my rod/reel, and before my waders and flies.

Sly
  17. DaveH New Member

Eastern wa
    Truly beautiful! Anyone would be proud to own it.
  18. Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I am suffering from Box envy, how will I ever face my old bag again?
  19. Duane J Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    JJ and Brother: Add my name right behind "New Tyer 1." An astounding piece of craftsmanship; excellant use of space.--Duane J
  20. James W. Haan Member

Benicia Ca
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I do a lot of work with wood and I am impressed. Compact and practical.