Weantchee area?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by OlyFlyguy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. OlyFlyguy

OlyFlyguy Member

I'm heading to Wenatchee tomorrow and would appreciate any suggestions on lakes to 'toon along the way. I fished Lenice a couple weeks ago and that was fun and happened to be a warm, near windless day, but have not tried others in the Central region but would enjoy a little time on the water.

Any suggestions ??
    ptyd

2. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Olyfly, try picking up a map, a gazetter ,google earth etc. explore ,read.etc.

3. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    There are at least three different lakes in the foothills southwest of Wenatchee that just opened up. All carry trout. I heard the opener was fairly slow as they are a little higher and the water is still pretty cold but they should be picking up very soon. They should be very quiet on a Wednesday. Feel free to PM me for more info.

4. OlyFlyguy

OlyFlyguy Member

Thanks BDD, I spent 2 hours last night reviewing all the sources I had including maps, gazeteer, and online, there are many options but of course I like also to check in with anglers. Will PM you, thanks much. BTW I am happy to provide input to others about opportunities I'm familiar with, but have never tried Wenatchee area.

5. Jack Murphy

Jack Murphy Member

Media:
    Beehive reservoir is open for fishing but I heard there is some ice still floating on it. Lily lake is ice free. Clear lake is ice free.

It is snowing just above 2000 feet today and it snowed yesterday also. You might run into some snow at Lily and Clear. Beehive sits at 4200 feet so there is obviously snow up there.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I was just looking at my map of Washington and I find that there isn't many places to fish around Wenatchee. Most of the Skinny water around there is closed and there are very few lakes close by in which to wet a line.

No wonder you people in that area all go to RFC. If I lived there I probably would just shoot myself. Ugh

7. Jack Murphy

Jack Murphy Member

Media:
    Well, there is the Methow, Entiat and the Icicle rivers. The Yakima a little farther. You could also count the Columbia River, which isn't exactly skinny, as it runs right through town.

Within about 45 minutes drive there are actually quite a few lakes: basin lakes, the lakes around Lake Chelan and the lakes south of town.

8. nick42

nick42 basket weaver

In general the fishing around Wenatchee sucks, imo. Everything worth a damn is either overstocked, closed, or poached out.

don't say I didn't warn you!

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I understand that. But I was commenting on close to Wenatchee. It used to be nice when all the closed water was open as you had many places to fish. Then they closed it all down to protect the Natives and they still get poached.

I used to get some big trout out of Nason Creek, and a few others when they were open.

Jim

10. tankiewiczj@kroybp.com

tankiewiczj@kroybp.com HPIC

I think there is a lake called Fish Lake just outside of Wenatchee that is a decent lake, nothing real big, but some browns and brookies in there. Fished it a few years ago and had a good day, but never went back because there were no big fish.

JT

11. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Fish lake can and does produce some big fish. Browns are huge fish for them at dusk and into the night.

12. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Having previously lived briefly in Wenatchee, it is not a great place to flyfish after work as its mostly a gear show fishing big water. But if your willing to travel an hour or two for day trips, there is plenty of very diverse flyfishing opportunity.

If WDFW and Chelan PUD can get their steelhead program clicking, then the Wenatchee River has great potential to be a world-class October and November fishery. :thumb:

13. Jeremy Logsdon

Jeremy Logsdon New Member

Fish lake there are some nice fish in it and alot of them.:beer1: