weather at pass?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Nick Clayton, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Any locals who can give me a current weather report for around the island area? Debating whether to try to hit pass tomorrow or stay local. Any idea what its supposes to do tomorrow? Reports say mid thirty's with chance of snow and some mild wind. Think that's accurate?

2. wik

wik Member

3. Islander

Islander Steve

Rain and snow showers here now. A good friend lives on Fidalgo Island and they have pretty much the same. Temps in the low to mid 30's.

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

"The best laid schemes o' mice and men
    Gang aft a-gley;
    An' leave us nought but grief and pain,
    For promised joy."

I'm almost certain that Robert Burns would have been a superb fly fisherman!

My plans are to hole up and attempt to organize my fly tying stuff, and then get down to creating a beach fly. Its even supposed to snow by morning here on the coast. If its gonna be snowing here, its gonna be snowing up there.

5. Nick Clayton

Eh snow doesn't bother me much. And it certainly won't stop my son. No way he will allow another day to
    go by with me not taking him out in the new boat. As long as it's not a blizzard were going for it

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Nick,
    I think your biggest concerns will be icy roads. Temps are dropping. Snowed some in north Seattle today. It melted and now is feezing up solid. My garbage can is now frozen to my driveway.

7. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Nick, I like your enthusiasim. Now, announce you are bringing cookies, and you can be our next pied piper! This seems to be just enough to nudge a few folks into leaving their warm domiciles. Heck, if I can re-kindle my winter fishing passion, maybe I'll set out some bait in a few weeks.

8. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

What stonefish said. Probably the other drivers, more so than icy roads. Beyond that, anyone who goes should be in for quite a treat. In the past I've had the place to myself when it snows along with the best scenery of the year. As of yesterday it's still on the same routine from the last couple of weeks - first/last light are great, morning hours ok, afternoons still dragging. Best tip: stay there till dark if dead in the afternoon. Everyone takes out by 4:30 and the frenzy starts promtly at 4:31. I was by myself when it happened last night.

9. Nick Clayton

In for a treat indeed! Well we went for it. My son was only able to handle the weather for a couple hours
    but it was a productive morning. Fished from about eight till ten with five to the boat and two lost all coming o leeches. I was using my type III and my son was rigged with an intermediate. He landed four and lost one. I landed one and lost one. Wish I could have stayed all day but it was mighty cold for a nine year old. It was snowing something fierce. Only had about fifty yards of visability.

Roads were manageable. Oak harbor had a bunch of snow and was a huge mess. Beautiful morning on
    the lake. No one else fishing and wind was dead still. Beautiful

10. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Nick: You're starting to sound like me when I was in my younger years at Pass lake when we used to live near Sedro Wooley. Now I"m in my middle 60's. I've slowed down a little, but I still love fly fishing for trout on still waters. Always have. Always will. Sure glad to see you're including your son on some of your fishing adventures. You both will fondly remember those times spent together.
    Denny

11. Nick Clayton

Thanks Denny. I'm very grateful that my son is taking to fishing as I did at his age. There we were in the
    middle of the lake, covered completely in snow, feet wet, can't see more than fifty yards and my son looks up and says "you know, lots of kids don't have their own fly rod and reel and a boat....you're the best dad ever. No amount of twenty inch browns can match up to hearing that. Of course his overall happiness was
    increased ten fold since he caught four fish right away lol

12. Islander

Islander Steve

Nick, the south end is not quite as bad as up north as far as snow. If you are taking the ferry and going up Island you might consider fishing Lone. It will cut 40 minutes off your drive time and it's fishing good right now. Typical of this lake; mid afternoon time frame is the ticket.

13. Nick Clayton

Thanks for the tip Islander. I definitely need to check lone out one of these days. Never fished it but it is on
    my radar, especially after seeing that dandy bow you stuck the other day.

Oak Harbor was by far the worst. They had several inches. No problem in my big truck but still. Pass area
    was pretty clear when we got there but it dumped the whole time we were there.

It was nice when we got on this side of the water so we drove up to my favorite local lake just to check it out. My son talked me into dragging the pram down and we did a quick lap of the lake with my son landing one
    and losing one. The last two or threw times I have taken my son to this lake I have used a 4 wt with an aqualux intermediate. My sons reel also has an intermediate in the camolux...similar line but he has outfished me probably eight to one using the exact same fly. I usually troll with my son since he is not the best caster yet
    and I guess that camolux must get the fly into a slightly different zone than the aqualux. Deeper or
    shallower, I'm not sure yet. I'm gonna hit it again in the morning and will definitely be bringing my 5 wt
    with the camolux line.