NFR Website Help

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Michael Morris, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Hi All,

Not a computer whiz but not completely ignorant when it comes to them either...question thou. I cannot log onto this website at my house (which is a problem for me). Works fine at my work, and I am on the same computer, so it leads me to believe it is more an IP thing ? Anyone ever deal with this issue and any troubleshooting advice ? thanks in advance.

2. msteudel

msteudel Mark Steudel

Couple things to try:
    1. Clear your cache
    2. Clear your cookies for this web site
    3. Try a different browser
    4. Reboot your machine (if you leave it on all the time)
    5. After that google "what is my ip" and send it to the Chris/Admin

3. teedub

teedub Active Member

Who is your Internet provider?

4. Thanks msteudel Ill give it a try..

Tee - Internet Provider is Comcast...I also should preference that I never used to have a problem, just started 2 weeks ago...Ive tried my work computer, personal computer, and iPad and non work from home, but all work when I'm not home. Not sure what changed.

5. msteudel

msteudel Mark Steudel

Oh yeah, you're probably right then maybe the forum is blocking you. That many different computers seem like it's outside of your machine.

Michael Morris likes this.
  6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I'm on Comcast and had this happen twice. Both times I just e-mailed Chris with the tracet and IP address and he was able to resolve. In both cases it was the WFF host service (not Comcast) stopping the routing. I suspect it is when we reply to spam threads which gets us on the block list? Jerry sent an e-mail on this not too long ago warning to stay clear of those (suspicious) threads.

7. GAT

GAT Active Member

Freestone is correct. You need to contact Chris. We had a problem with spam and only Chris can resolve the problem. There is nothing you can do. You are not the only one who has had the problem and only Chris can correct it. The mods can do nothing to fix it.
    You must contact Chris.

8. Thanks for the info guys, I sent him an email so hopefully I will have access soon.

9. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

It's happened 3 times in the past few months to me as well. First 2 times Chris cleared my home network's IP address. 3rd time I am still blocked and just not going to bother Chris again until he fixes the more global issue he's having. The first time, he said it was a "valid block" based on a security heuristic that detected malware coming from my network. It might be that Chris just has a server setting on hyper vigilant because the only PC I ever browse to WFF from is the one Microsoft issued to me and manages (I work at Microsoft), so I'm pretty sure it's not infected. I also get no blocks from any other website on earth, so this appears to be isolated to WFF's server.

10. Oh interesting...I also work @ Microsoft (finance, not computers) and it is the only place I can get on the site...something must have gotten on my home computer (MacBook) which caused a block to the IP, since I have tried multiple machines from home and no dice on any of them...Guess it's time to check out my personal computer and see what found its way on there. Thanks for the info.

11. teedub

teedub Active Member

Big IP's like Comcast lease you your IP address. They also subscribe to black list data base suppliers who list IP addresses that have done something amiss. If you pick up a new leased address after it gets in the data base, it could be blocked for no fault of yours. Not sure who CS uses for his security but that is often the case of Comcast, Time Warner, Charter and larger providers. They usually can clear their addresses in less than two weeks, but sometimes problems linger a bit longer if the offensive user did some damage (especially with spam and other unmentionables).

12. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Michael, the point is that it is NOT likely something on your PC, but is instead either a problem or overly conservative setting that's kicking lots of us off WFF when we try to access from our home networks. Having said that, it's a good idea to make sure your devices are clean and secure!

Teedub - If Comcast (my provider) were blacklisting my home network IP address, then I'd be blocked from many websites. It's just WFF, so that leads me to believe the issue is on WFF's server.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I had this same problem a few years ago. Since then I only open up on sites that I know and trust. I've been clear from all the problems you all are having.

14. Thanks everyone appreciate it. I sent an email, so we will see. As now still nothing, and hopefully this doesn't become a regular theme.

15. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Michael,

Try turning off your bullshit filter.

16. Can you elaborate their Bill...not sure what you're trying to get at.

17. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Do you use a DSL modem at home?

I had the same problem. I couldn't log on to WFF from my home computers but anywhere else was fine. I tried the usual of clearing the cache, history, etc. Then a light bulb went off in my head --

My DSL modem. I rebooted it and everything was fine.

Trapper