weight distribution in drift boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by bfunk13, Jul 8, 2009.

1. bfunk13

bfunk13 New Member

I recently bought a 16' LP Clackacraft.
    I am wondering about weight distribution of passengers.
    I am 6'4 315
    I took a friend and his son for a float tuesday.
    My buddy is a BIG Hoss, 6'5 375? ( no wonder my forearms are killing me ) His son is 150 or so.
    I put big boy in the front and the son in back.
    I think this was the right move..? Say i have only one passenger, front?
    Am i thinking this right? More weight to the front?
    I would imagine equal weight front and back would be ideal.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Brad

2. TrappedinCO

TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

Media:
    "Fat guy up front" is the rule in trimming drift boats for fore and aft anglers. The key to trimming the boat is to make sure that the stern is out of the water so that water slides under the transom instead of pushing against it. Some boats handle weight in the back a lot better than others, so you'll just have to see what works best for your boat.

3. bfic

bfic Member

I have a Koffler Rocky Mountain Trout Boat (big ass pram). If I have too much weight in the back it swings back and forth at anchor. I'm not sure if this is the case with a regular drift boat. I assume it is magnified in my boat by the wide stern, but I have to keep the weight down stream so the back is out of the water. a relatively small shift in weight distribution makes a big diference but I notice it most when anchored.

4. Bryan Williamson

Bryan Williamson Willybethere

bfic - I'd say the "sway" is definetly attributable to the weight in stern. It was mentioned already but keep the stern out of the water is a good "rule of thumb" to help prevent this with DB's, not sure about your boat. My experience with different DB's is that the sway is different for each boat, even with stern out of the water. I had a Lavro that would sway quite a bit under anchor from side to side weight shifts. My Clack LP is much better at staying straight and seems to correct itself when weight shift happens.

5. T Wolf

T Wolf New Member

Media:
    Hi Brad -

A properly trimmed drift boat should, when loaded, have the same distance from the transom to the water, as the front to the water. A drift boat too front heavy will have a tendency to drag you down the river, and too heavy a rear makes you work too hard to slip water. This is most important when running whitewater and rapids where a big move is needed on the run. We usually have some one not in the boat look at trim and adjust people and seat position till it feels just right. After a while you'll be able to know just where everything and everybody goes by just looking at your passengers. For larger rapids or where there is a danger of "touching" a rock, be sure that the folks hang on the the rail with one hand and have the other on the front deck. This will make sure they don't eat the front deck or have an unexpected weight shift during larger rapids.

T Wolf