Weight Forward Fly Line

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fred, Mar 18, 2002.

1. fred

fred Member

Hi,

Please can anyone recommend a good weight forward fly line around the $30 - $40 mark?

Thanks
    Fred

2. guest

guest Guest

Cortland has some in that price range and so does Scientific Anglers. But it would probly serve you better to spend a little more and get a good quality line. But what do I know I'm just an old man.Jim S. :BIGSMILE

3. Fly rod

Fly rod New Member

Hi Fred
    Try cortlands 333ht lines They list for 30 bucks in Cabela's Better lines usually start at about $40.
    Al The Fly Rod from N.J. :THUMBSUP

4. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

I got Wulff Triangle taper on sale for $41 including shipping. Might still be having the sale, try mossycreek.com

5. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

I believe I paid quite a bit more than $41 foo mine, but the Wulf Triangle Taper is a GREAT line. There may be no such thing as a line that does everything well, but the TT comes close, and most things it does exceptionally. Can change your mind about your casting. Highly recommend.

6. westie

westie New Member

Hi Guys,

A lot of you mentioned that a "good" fly line starts around $40. What the heck makes a fly line "good"? Mine all seem to work and they were all around $25-$30.

Enquiring minds want to know!

Jeff

:DUNNO

7. chrisnwflyfish

chrisnwflyfish New Member

A good fly line will cast well, should have low memory, and last for about five years. I picked up an AIRFLO River & Stream line a couple years ago that I really like. However it is more in the $50 to $60 price range. I also bought an Orvis Wonderline about four years ago in the same $50 to $60 range. I liked it at first, until I found that it was very brittle. After pulling line directly from the reel a couple times, I found that the line peels like a carrot. I still have it, but it is falling apart.

I also picked up a line a couple years ago in the $20 range. I was planning to cut it up as I was experimenting with building sink tip lines. When the experiment was over (Completed sucessfully), that line went in the garbage. The coating was crap and stuck to my guides. It felt like epoxy that wasn't mixed right and didn't cure.

Here is my advice. Spend an extra $10 to $20 and get a good line. If you take care of it, it will last you at least 5 years and will make your life much more enjoyable. Divide that $20 over the number of times you will use it, and you will find that is only costing you a couple pennies for a much happier experience on every trip.

Chris Grieve
    www.northwestflyfishingadventures.com :COOK