weight units for Airflo skagit heads

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Paul Huffman, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    I was thinking about making a floating tip for a new Airflow Skagit head from a SA steelhead line that I accidentally chopped in two a couple years ago. There's a table in the box that gives some weights for sections and tips as a guideline for making tips. Are those weights in grains or grams? I found another table online that uses the abbreviation gr. on a weight column, but that still could be either grains or grams.

2. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Paul, The numbers are for grains.

3. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks. Now that I've made a floater, what should I get to make an real sinker? I had a chance to throw a ten foot chunk on the material that came with the head and thought that it didn't sink as much as I might sometimes like. How long and heavy can I go?

4. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    You can go as long and heavy as is practical for you to handle although it seems like lots of skagit fishers use around 10'. The tip material supplied with the head weighs 10grns per foot. Airflo does make Custom Cut Tip material in 330grns @ 20' (16.6grns per ft) and 470grns @ 20' (23.6grns per ft) or you can get some Rio T-14 or other brand of sinktip and just make your own. Only a little experimentation you show you what "will work for you".

If the Airflo skagit head isn't dense enough to turn over whatever "bigstuff" you might be trying, turn it around and hook the heavy end to the tip.