Weighted line?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steelieblue, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Steelieblue New Member

Issaquah, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey all!

I am looking to pick up a cheap sinking line for my 5wt to fish chironomids and drag buggers etc around some of these great Washington lakes. Will these be referred to as sink tips or what? I guess I need the lingo too because I am going to try to get it on Ebay. Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Steelieblue
  2. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    I prefer a full sink line for lakes over a sinktip. I've had good luck with the SA Uniform sink in Type II or III (eg. WF5S type II). Ebay is a great place to shop for lines.

Rod:beer2
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

If you are going to fish chironomids. I think that you would be better off with a floating line. That way you can go to sleep waiting for them to hit your chironomid without having to watch your line.
  4. Steelieblue New Member

Issaquah, WA.
    Old Man Jim!

Do you think this to be true even if I need to fish 20 to 30 feet of water? Just curious. Thanks for your help

SB
  5. Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    :thumb
    Yeah.. ditto on the floating line for chironomids..it's glorified bobber fishing with a 15-20 ft leader and a strike indicator...sinking line for buggers, leeches, and streamers

Brrr..rad

Calmness is power....
  6. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +434 / 0
    One of Brian Chan's techniques involves fishing a chironomid on a full sink line. He lets it sink to the straight down position then does a dead-slow hand twist retrieve. The key seems to be d-e-a-d s-l-o-w! At least you're doing something and it's not as boring as watching a bobber.
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt

Very long leaders w/bobber. But I'm not to keen on this type of fishing. I prefer skinny water.

Jim

Edit: Here it is after a long wait it shows up.

Jim
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt

I just answered this and I don't know where it went :dunno . But looooong leaders w/bobber is one way to do it. But I don't like to fish sitting still. To easy to fall asleep at the switch. What I like is skinny water.:thumb

Jim
  9. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Heh just wanted to throw this angle in on ya...I use a shooting line system for my 5wt. That way I just change tips for the different situations that I might encounter. I must admit it's a lot nicer then carring several different spools with different types of lines like I used to. Just thought I would put my 2 cents in.
    Harleydeen:beer1
  10. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +508 / 0
    A couple of years ago I got a Rio Mainstream type 4 for 27.00 at a local fly shop. It is a good line and casts easily.
  11. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.
    RiverFishing

Sir...

If you decide on a full sinking line after all this advice, and want to start with a low-risk option, I have a spool of Cortland Fairplay WF6S that I picked up on eBay last winter when I was first gearing up and trying to cover all the possibilities. It's never been out of the box and since I've settled into stream fishing I'll probably never use this.
    If interested (and you'll probably get some opinions as to the Cortland products) let me know. I'd let it go for less than I paid to see someone get some use from it.

Mike :D
  12. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +123 / 1
    Check out www.fortackle.com, sinking lines for $8.50. I bought a couple for "guest" rods, they work.
  13. Big Ben Guest

I have Cortland 444 SL

its pink with a type III sink tip, ten feet long. I got it for $26 closeout at Fisherman's Marine in Portland. It's great for buggers and big flies because the extra weight on the sink tip handles larger flies. Chironomids frankly suck where I fish, but droppers are a different story. You might consider using a 6wt line on your 5wt rod. It helps get the sinking portion out of the water and enables you to throw bigger bugs. Stay away from Cortland's type I full sink, it actually floats! Type III is excellent!:thumb