Weighting Nymphs?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by wboles3, Mar 14, 2005.

1. wboles3

wboles3 Member

Media:
    I recently started tying nymphs,ie: hares ears, pheasant tails, Alberta stones, and herl may's. I am asking for advice. Do you all recommend I try some without added weight, some with lead free wire under, some with a bead, and some with lead free wire and bead? Is this just over kill on the weight configurations?

As an added note. I really like using the Ostrich Herl.

Bill

2. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I don't lead-wrap underbodies of nymphs as frequently as I once did, but sometimes there's no substitute for reaching bottom. Bead heads, of course, frequently are all the additional weight needed.
    I can never tell by feel which of my nymphs are weighted. So I tie a band of gray thread at the back of the heads of the weighted flies. (Admittedly, that's easier to see on a steelhead fly.) Use lead-free wire, by all means. In a generation or two, throwing lead into streams will be grounds for expulsion from Trout Unlimited. Already, it's approaching the "What were we thinking of?" stage.

3. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Media:
    Home Page:
    I like to weight things in series. I first tie a dozen without weight then a dozen with half the wraps as a pattern calls for then a dozen with what the pattern calls for and then a dozen more with 5 wraps over. wow that was allot to get out. I then use finger nail polish to mark the weights on the head with a small dot, green:lite/yellow:heavy/red:sinker. This does help when trying to get where the fish are. Especially when fishing a floating line. I reserve the bead heads for thing I want on the bottom, or streamers. If you live in Washington, with this drought coming on, think low water patterns.

4. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Media:
    I don't tie too many bead heads. I like the natural look. Most of the ones that don't have a bead, I wrap -but not all of them. I've never done both on the same fly.
    With some nymphs/situations, you'll do better in the film or rising from the bottom & thus probably won't need weight. Some you will. :ray1:

5. wboles3

wboles3 Member

Media:
    Thanks very much for the responses, greatly appreciated. I think the weight progression sequence is great way to go. I am recently new to tying and am having a great time doing it. I started with lead free wire and most definitely will continue. If I recall correctly, I thought I saw lead wire still available. I wonder why it is still used?