Weights, Line, Speed?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gunga-Din, May 23, 2013.

1. I don't see this posted else where, and I haven't read any good explanations, so I thought it was time to seek advice. I've got a good friend who has also been asking me about these things and I don't have a good answer. I've fished on again off again for almost 2 decades now, but still consider myself a rookie when it comes to fishing. Anyway here are the questions I have.

#1) What is the difference between Rod Line Weight? I see mostly anywhere from 2 to 12 but have no idea really what the Line Weight means.

#2) What is the difference in lengths mean? I have seen 7" to 12" rods and again I have no clue what the length is for.

#3) What is the difference between the various Actions? Most of what I see is Mid Action or Fast Action.

#4) Line Weight and Backing Weight what is the difference?

I know I might seem like I don't know much of anything, and that is true, I won't hide that. All the fishing I have done has been Spin fishing, but trying to help a friend out who wants to learn Fly Fishing has actually got me interested in attempting to learn as well. I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

2. I should also have asked if there was much difference in the different Rod materials, Graphite, Fiberglass, etc.

3. I'm thinking Fremont Bridge

4. I'll take a Fremont IPA!

5. How about some popcorn.

6. The number used to designate the line size corresponds to the weight of the first 30' of a single-hand fly line. The line wts go from lightest (i.e. 0,1,2...) to heaviest (i.e. 12,13,14...). The line wt designation on the rod refers to the line wt designation number that works best with that particular rod without overloading or underloading it.

It is not necessary to know what the actual weight in grains of that first 30' of fly line is in order to match a line to a particular rod. You just need to get a line that has the same wt designation as the one on the rod and it will work just fine.

This system of numerical line wt designation came about because PVC coated lines (and now other plastics) had a different weight than the older silk fly lines. The old silk fly lines had letter desgnations denoting the taper of the line, which worked really well with silk since the wt of the line varied linearly with the diameter of the line. However, when PVC coated lines hid the market in the 1950's and provided us with lines that floated without needing to be dressed and dried daily, the letter diatmeter designation used for silk didn't work. Thus, the line wt designation number system came about.

With spey lines, there is a different set of wt standards that were developed approximately 7-8 years ago. However, the same basic principal applies, match the line wt designation of the spey line to the spey rods line designation. Unfortunately, this doesn't work to well with many of the spey rods designed and built prior to the adoption of the spey line standards.

The wt of the backing is immaterial since it isn't used to cast the line or fly. It is simply used to 1) fill up the reel spool, and 2) used as a way to keep the fish attached to the line if a fish happens to take all the fly line off the reel as it tried to get away from the angler.

Hopefully, this short explanation of line weight numbers and how they came about helps you better understand what they mean and why they are needed.

cuponoodle breakfast and Irafly like this.
  7. Weird SN for a troll. Maybe he likes poetry, or maybe just a big Kipling fan?

8. I never worried about all these numbers that have to do with fly fishing. I bought myself a rod, reel and a line and went out and did it. It's much easier doing it this way than worrying about grains that my head weighs or is my line right for my rod. Or is my taper right. Is it fast or slow. Worrying about shit like that takes all the fun out of it. And that is all I'm interested in is having fun. If you have to make it like work, you take all the fun out of it. I retired from work 14 years ago. Fly fishing is just fun.

Dipnet likes this.

9. I see four bites already

10. I wonder what questions some of you asked when you were new..

11. Didnt have the internet then, where you now can find out so much information. You relied on family, friends, salesman at the store, etc. It is not that hard to google-bing, etc. and find out some reliable common information today. Once you do that you can ask more specific questions.

12. When I started out fly fishing there wasn't any computers around. Or one that the average person could use. It was all trial and error back then. But it was fun learning what worked and what didn't work. I think I bought my first rod when I was 21 and had my first job at the Boeing Co. I'm 78 now so do the math.

13. According to the google online calculator the answer is 57. Whoa...really? :D