Weirdest place you've ever caught a steelhead

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    I don't have much to contribute here. When I was a kid a got one out of the Breitenbush in Oregon while trout fishing. I didn't know what I was doing or what I had caught....

2. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    This is strange i haven't thought of this in years. when I was kid in California we lived in East Palo Alto accross the street from the San Fransisquito Creek. This creek was about twenty feet deep and at that point was also the county line between San Mateo and Santa Clara counties. Sometimes it rained enough that we would have water in it and even occasionally it would fill up and flood like in 1955 and 1964. Usually if it had enough water to run ir was about 3 to 5 feet deep and lasted about week before it dried up. we often played in the creek as it was right in town. One day my sister came up and wanted the rake and she and her friend said they found a pool that hadn't dried up and there was a fish in it. We went down and they raked that fish out of the pool and it was a large steelhead. I don't rermember ever finding any other fish in that creek the 14 years I lived there. Bob I have fished the Breitenbush also but never saw any steelhead.

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    It was 25 years ago. As I got older I've identified it as a steelhead because it was so large. Could have been a rainbow or the perspective of a young lad.

4. BigSkyDave

BigSkyDave New Member

Milwaukee's Root River, small stream half an hour from downtown, two on a fly using the "Exciter Fishing" Technique. That was 30 years ago. Someone said the Milwaukee River itself has cleaned up enough there are now steelhead in it??? Back then anyone who fell in the Milwaukee river was taken to a hospital for 24 hour observation. And Chicago sued Milwaukee to clean up it's act. I won't comment on Chicago sueing anyone to clean up anything.

5. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    Salmon Creek, within pissing distance of I-5 and walking distance from work. To my surprise it was a wild fish.

6. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I caught an overwintering Juvenile one fall at the lake here at school, they counted 20 that year.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    AKPM, I seem to recall you reminding me once that a fin clipped juvenile was a rainbow when I thought it was a steelhead. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was a juvenile fish that was wintering over, isn't it a rainbow?;)

8. Erik F. Helm

Erik F. Helm Frozen in the river, speyrod in hand

Yup. All it took was removal of the North Avenue dam and the Milwaukee river cleaned itself. Milw. is still having sewage dumping problems though. Dams are coming down all along the river and/or fish ladders are being installed. Lake sturgeon reintroduced as well. PCBs being removed. See my blog for some pictures of the Milwaukee now. You will not recognize it.

Sometimes we do win a few.

Erik
    classicangler.blogspot.com

9. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    no some juvi steelhead go out to sea for a bit and over winter in lakes then go back out, this was one of those fish they counted it upstream in a weir

10. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Media:
    In the Ass. In Fall Creek, ID

11. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Didn't catch it with a rod, but we pulled a dead steelhead out of Vancouver Lake a few years ago just below where Burnt Bridge Creek dumps into the lake proper. We figured it was a stray that missed Salmon Creek, but I've always wondered if nature is trying to make her way back to Burnt Bridge.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I caught one on the Slapshot (gear fishing though) after my pal waded out into the river thigh deep. Went up a tad bit from him and swung a spin and glo toward him and caught a nice hen between him and the bank. She splashed him as she danced around. Maybe not weird, but funny as shit to watch his frustrated reaction. That day, the teacher (my pal) went 0-3. The student 2-3. I tell this story to him every now and then and add that I became a fly fisherman to even the odds with him.

13. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    New this was coming !!:rofl:

14. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    On the Skagit!

15. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

In my dreams!

16. Cal

Cal Member

Cuyahoga River, upstream from Cleveland, Ohio. River was not burning at the time. Nice fish, about 8 lbs.

Cuyahoga is not stocked but gets strays during drought years when there is no flow in any of the other nearby stocked rivers.

About 15 yrs ago someone caught a 5 lb piranha near Cuyahoga Falls, wasn't fishing for steelhead at the time, but that brings up another interesting question --

What's the weirdest fish you ever caught while fishing for steelhead ?

I think answers from the mid-west will be the most interesting:

I caught, gobies, burbot, bullheads, and mirror carp and a buddy of mine caught a needle nose gar (in the Chagrin River).

Have not been back in many years, but do miss the insane numbers of fish that run in Lake Erie's "Steelhead Alley".

17. rosstucker32

rosstucker32 New Member

Word on the street is that they dump recycled hatchery fish from nearby rivers into Vancouver Lake...not sure if this is true or not, but that could explain your fish.

18. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    Vancouver Lake is connected to the Columbia via Lake River that runs south through Ridgefield. All the fish returning to Salmon Ck use that slough. I believe the Ck runs into lake river not far south of Vencouver lake, 2 or 3 miles at most.

19. flatheadmatt

flatheadmatt Member

Dave, I grew up fishing the ol mill river. Its still a cesspool of sorts, but its my home water. There are actually some nice steelies and lake run browns in there now. Im heading home for christmas for 3 weeks....gonna squeeze at least a week in on the ol milwaukee.....cant wait. Now its not the water you have to worry about fallin in...its the bush bunnies on the banks and crackheads in the woods!

20. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Emigrant Lake just south me here in Ashland. Was actually casting a three wt for small mouth Bass and BANG! First thought was that's one hell of a large Bass. No such. Turns out the Oregon F and G take left over summer runs (from the hatchery at RM 152 on the Rogue) and dump them into the lake. Who Knew?

Gather this has been going on for years and the 'planted' fish have now started to self propagate.' A cool thing.

fae