Well, I too, am ashamed

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Olive bugger, Dec 31, 2011.

1. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

I know ice fisherfolk catch them, and yes bluegills need to eat in the winter. I hope to try the pond again tomorrow. Been too long, I need to fish

2. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

Hit the FAOL Central Washington Fish In held in May in Ephrata, WA if you like gill fishing. There are several ponds in close proximity where the gill fishin is great that time of year. Also, there are several people at the outing who can teach you much about catching gills. I have not attended the past few years but have gone just for the gills fishing.

Dr Bob :ray1:

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

When I bought my mini-drifter from an old guy in Oly a few years ago, I had to take it to some water and try it out. I'd never fished Offut Lake, so I headed over there. It was either late Aug or early Sept. Had about a half hour of light left by the time I put in and rowed over to some lilly pads and started casting a #10 yellow Stimulator to gaps around the edges. Few casts later, Wham! Good surface take and a hard fight on the 6 wt for what turned out to be a fat hand-sized Bluegill (might have been a Pumkinseed... not too good on the panfish I.D.). That was my first and only Bluegill on a fly. Very fun. I called it a day and drove home chuckling over how I "broke in" my newly acquired mini-drifter. The guy I bought it from had told me that he hoped I would take it down some rivers and not let it end up on a "Bluegill pond.":rofl:

I am not ashamed.:cool:

4. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Methinks that 2012 is the year of return to Central Washington for me. Just me, a box of
    flies, a rod, reel, and line. I might also take my vice and see if I can whip out some killers.

snick likes this.
  5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    What is the FAOL fish in? I like bluegills as fishing for them is like being a kid again.

6. Olive bugger

I was wondering that my self, ZL.

I was watching a video on fishing for blue gill a few minutes ago. Got me to thinking that
    maybe a dark surface bug like a foam beetle or grasshopper later in the season.

I still like the cricket idea, but perhaps a dragon fly or dark nymph.

What do you fellows think?

I would like to get over to Ephrata this spring for fishing of any sort.

7. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    OB, let me know when you are ready. I will act as a klutzy guide.

8. Olive bugger

I can do that.

9. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I fish foam dragon flies for bass on occasion, it is a long process as they will sit there and stare at it for quite a while. You have to sit there a minute or two before even the first twitch, but when they take a big foam dragon fly it sounds like a cannonball hitting the water.

As far as the other flys you listed I seem to have better luck for panfish on small bucktail streamers tied up on a 10 or 12 hook then fishing the surface.

10. Jim Mcallister

Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

I fish swafford pond on my back from the tilton once in awhile.Ifish right in front of the spillway right off the road right in the middle of the bobber and worm brigade.I fish with amodified stillwater nymph,basically one that had the green maraboo wing case chewed off.My best day or hour was 18 ,my worst hour was 12 . thats not including the three brown trout ,croppies and bass also.I try not to piss the other guys off, but its hard when Iam the only one catching fish,and throwing them back to boot. That reallygets them going.The fun thing is my fishing partener for the day will always say ( I dont want to catch a bunch of little junk fish ).I havent taken anyone there yet that wasnt out of the rig and catching them by my forth fish then wanted to stay longer till dark and see just how many we could catch.

11. Olive bugger

God bless the little blue gill buggers. Fun to catch for sure.
    I don't know if they enjoy it quite as much tho.

12. Shad

Shad Active Member

I only do it a couple times a year, but the lazy days I spend chasing panfish with a light rod are among my favorites every year.

A small hare's ear (14-16) is good. I concocted my own little bug that is not much to look at but absolutely kills them. It's basically a few strands of pheasant tail, tied in at the bend for a tail and then palmered forward to about 2/3 up the shank, followed by a few wraps of peacock herl and topped off with a palmered partridge hackle. Sizes 10-14 all seem to work about the same. I haven't tried it yet, but this year I intend to tie some up reverse spider style to see if that makes them even more deadly. I tie them unweighted, but I fish them with a little tungsten putty a couple feet up on the leader. I find I catch pumpkinseed and bluegill with or without the weight, but I catch a lot more crappie and the occasional bass when I use the weight. Once you find the fish, casts without strikes are rare. Your mileage may vary, but I look for grassy banks that are shaded. Follow the shade as the day progresses, and you will be into them all day long.

If you're catching only small ones (a relative term when applied to bluegill and pumpkinseed), it's a sign that there are too many of them competing for the available food. Kill a whole bunch of them, fillet them (yes, it's a major PITA), and fry them up in a jalapeno potato chip breading. Enjoy with a tall glass of fresh lemonade (you will need that after a hot day on the water). Really tasty.

13. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

Try a green but balck gnat in a 14 or 16 when the water get to be about 56F if you want some dry fly action. As others have stated, small hare's ear and pheasant tail also work very well.

14. Olive bugger

Well, being retired has some advantage to it. I was digging around and I found an old Fenwick blank that I made into a rod some years ago. It was my first and not very pretty so I put it away in favor of younger and more attractive ladies. I dug it out the other day and it hit me that it would make a very nice Bass rod. I have some 8 wt lines on a couple of reels so
    I think I will try my hand in Lake Washington this spring.

I guess I had better get busy and tie up some bass streamers.

15. Loteck Joe

Loteck Joe Over The Hill Gang Member

I have been a trout fisherman all my life, but I too am planning on targeting some panfish this coming season. I've found where a substantial fishery of perch are and I hope to find some crappies as well. I've been tying flies between size 10 & size 14. Mostly soft hackles with fine chenille bodies. White, pink, chartreuse and red are the predominant colors I've been using. Also tied up some furled tail mohair leeches in black, red, olive and brown. I plan on fishing most of the flies on a 5 weight full sink line from either a 12' jon or an 8' pontoon boat.

16. Olive bugger

Strange that you should say that Joe. I was just thinking of how would a soft hackle peacock or olive work on those little devils. I think I will take a couple of each of your suggested colors on my next excursion. Thanks for the nudge.

17. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I've caught hundreds of gills and sunfish on bait, but can't seem to get any on a fly. If I try small poppers I get small bass or nothing. Unweighted nymphs or small buggers don't draw any attention at all. What type of retrieve are you guys using?

18. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    My favorite local lake has blue Gill and when the water warms they hit most anything I throw for trout but seem extra willing to smack a soft hackle fished anywhere near them

19. Olive bugger

I am beginning to think about the spider tied soft hackle/yellow. Small size like !6 or 18.

20. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Good call OB, no fish is safe from the power of the soft hackle!