Well, I'm Screwed Now.....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mark Moore, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Kenneth Yong Member

Rome, Italy
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Screwed? No, I wouldn't say so. You've seen the light, that's all. Welcome to the cane gang, brother Mark.

Kenneth
    Mike Monsos likes this.
  2. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    I think you will enjoy your new adventure. Learn to enjoy not only the presentation of the fly, but the feel of a well executed casting stroke. If you take a little time and listen to the rod, soon it will exceed your expectations.

Mike
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    Pisses me off too. I was born in '71.
  4. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Damn, there you go. I'm a recovering (broke) rod addict and I don't need this kind of news. Hell, just last year I fell prey to a sweet little custom fiberglass creation at the Albany FF Fair. I even tried asking Ron McNeal for some discouragement, since he is a glass guy and a good friend. I kept expecting him to say ,"slow down, dumbass", but noooo, he had to go look at it and order it's twin. Now, I'm gonna have to fight another demon.

Congrats on your new baby.

By the way, that little FG custom has become one of my favorite sticks.
  5. Mark Moore Just a Member

Vancouver, Wa.
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    So, prompted by your post, I tracked down an email for Rev. Harry Boyd and sent a message inquiring if indeed it was his bamboo rod I had seen all those years ago. He loved the story but suggested that, in fact, it was a rod by Rev. Jim Beasley. I have had a bit of a time finding contact info, hopefully I can contact him. This kind of thing always amuses me.
  6. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    "Evil boo'ers!" GW got it right.
  7. para_adams Active Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Mark, congrats, that's a beautiful rod! Steve is right…an old Hardy would be a great match or you can find a classic old Scientific Angler 7 made by Hardy like I did.
    Steve Kokita likes this.
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    I bought a bamboo rod once when I was a young lad starting out just fishing. I was 13 or 14. 78 now and pushing 79 real hard. That was several life times ago. I had a paper route and the rod was a 4 piece with two tips. I was not really into fly fishing as all I could afford at that time was the rod. I used a very cheap reel on it with mono line. It also came with a cloth sock.

Don't have any idea what ever became of the rod.
    Steve Kokita likes this.
  9. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +244 / 1
    Good for you for tracking this down. Its always fun to discover the man behind the rods

Join the Classicflyrod Forum so you can login and use the search function. Search the Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods and Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods subforums. You will find plenty of references to Jim Beasley. It looks like he lives in Crossville, Tenn. If you ask, someone will probably provide contact info.
    http://classicflyrodforum.com

He sells rods through Rob Selb
    http://www.classicflyfisherman.com/

TC
  10. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +135 / 0
    Don't have any idea what ever became of the rod.[/quote]

Go dig around and see if you can find that rod...I'd be glad to make it into a fishable stick for you. Bring back some childhood memories and now you can afford a better reel!
  11. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    Go dig around and see if you can find that rod...I'd be glad to make it into a fishable stick for you. Bring back some childhood memories and now you can afford a better reel![/quote]

Hey, that was over 60 years ago and several hundred moves from place to place. I'm lucky I can keep myself together over that length of time.

I bought it at a Hardware store outside of Bremerton off of Highway 3. I used to play with it on Chico Creek. I lived in West Park at the time.

It's funny how things trip your memory when you think back to your younger years.
  12. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +135 / 0
    It was worth a shot....he'll, I can't remember what I had for dinner last night?
    Mark Moore likes this.
  13. ray@montanariverlodge Member

Ratings: +21 / 0
    I was about nine when I found a bamboo rod in the basement and taught myself to cast in my back yard. I didn't know anyone who fly fished until the seventies. I started with glass, and eventually used graphite, but I've had a lingering itch for bamboo. So I recently found a Hardy built in '26 with four original tips. I may be hooked!
    Mark Moore likes this.
  14. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    I don't know if you are hooked or not, but I will wager that you will
    have a hard time wiping the grin off of your face. Great catch.
    Mark Moore likes this.
  15. ray@montanariverlodge Member

Well Charlie, even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. I'm thinking of building a glass case to display it on the fireplace (after a few casts). The missus isn't too excited (read somewhat pissed) that I bought this "investment" and wants to know if all those other "invesssstments" are ever going to pay off! I've explained how rare it is to have investments that you can also use recreationally or just admire like art on the wall. She has suggested a few other uses for some of my investments, but so far my warnings about the penalties for spousal abuse have held her at bay. Some people, eh!
  16. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Some wives just do not understand the way these things work.

But then again, some do all too well.

Just a suggestion, if that is a working fireplace, I think I would think again about mounting the rod above. Heat rises and heat could affect the bamboo. You might wind up with a curlie que rather than a fly launcher.
  17. ray@montanariverlodge Member

That's a good thought. I already have an old telescoping metal one there. Maybe over the headboard in our ...ah, no, that won't work. Maybe I'll see how she feels about a man-cave.
    I see you're near Woodenville. My backyard was on the road between Juanita and Bothell and I grew up fishing Juanita Creek. I wonder if salmon still spawn there? It was in the 50's. Then I started fishing the Tolt and some mountain lakes that drew me to the fly. I'ld like to come back sometime to the old stompin' ground, maybe hike into those lakes. Say, do steelhead still run in the Tolt? Boy, the memories! I'll save those stories for another thread, but that's where I first held bamboo.

Ray

maybe
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  18. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Never been around Juanita creek much. I am close to the Big Bear Creek and I do not think Salmon use it much any more. They seem to head right down to the hatchery via the slough and Lake Sammamish. I took the girls down to watch them when they were little, but alas they are both grown and gone, along with the salmon.

I have never fished the Tolt for steelhead all that much, Given the current condition of our friends the wild steelhead I doubt that the Tolt would be a target fishery.

I am just a bundle of good news this morning.