Wenatchee, Icicle, Methow Rivers

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by troutpounder, Sep 6, 2012.

1. troutpounder

troutpounder Active Member

I am thinking about making a weekend out of fishing either the wenatchee/icicle or methow river at the end of the month. Would this be to early to have a shot at some steel? I have never fished either river. Thanks for any advise

2. LBC

LBC nymphing beads with a spey pole.

Media:
    wow... take my advice, delete this thread and start over not mentioning targeting steelhead in E.side rivers that are not open for steelhead and are on the emergency opening basis. Your setting your self up for a thrashing. just sayin.

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    What LBC said. Read the regs book, these rivers are closed. Until WDFW says otherwise, they'll remain that way. Even if they do open, don't count on them being open by the end of this month. Numbers in the Columbia aren't exactly bueno this year.

4. troutpounder

troutpounder Active Member

......... HAHAHA Perhaps I should look at the regs

5. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Albums:
    If and when any of these rivers do open this year, you will need a Columbia River Endorsement so read up on that too. Then, do a WFF search on these rivers as they have very, very special regs that are taken very seriously over here. Violating them, even accidentally, could lead to a big fine so you will want to make sure you really understand the special rules before you fish. If you have more questions, just ask.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  6. Methow

Methow Active Member

Plus if it does open there will be a mandatory retention of hatchery fish. This rule will be watched real close this year.

7. Nate Buchanan

Nate Buchanan Member

And keep wild fish in the water ;)

8. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Has there been any movement on closing that first hole that the gear guys pack into?

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I say keep it open. Most the fish roll through that section at night. Keeps the same guys from spreading out up river and getting in the way.

Ian Broadie and Blake Harmon like this.
  10. Freestone

Media:
    Albums:
    Jesse, another topic of great controversy. First and foremost, WDFW has creel surveys and if it showed a disproportionate number of fish were being removed here, I am sure it would be closed. However, keep in mind that the only reason the river is open is to remove hatchery fish so even if these guys were having great success, that's what is it all about. However, I hear that the numbers caught down there aren't as high as people think because as Evan said, the fish tend to move through there in the wee hours. Second, this is a popular hole with locals, gear and fly. As long as the numbers support it being open, a bunch of whiny-ass, Subaru-driving, metrosexual feather-flinging guys from the ‘coast’ (paraphrasing the local view) don't stand much of a chance taking the opportunity away from them, again, as long as the numbers support it being open. Third, many people support it being open as it lowers the pressure/angler density on the other 49.5 miles of open river.

As you know, this river is highly monitored and by some very dedicated people who care very much about it and the fish. Luckily, they have the science, data and experience to distinguish between what should be done for the greater good of the fish and majority of the anglers vs a few with specific agendas.
    For instance, in that year when everyone was whining about not catching fish upstream and blaming it on the locals yarding them out down below, Pit tag data showed that 75% of the run was still out in the Columbia in November and that was the main reason catching wasn’t so hot that October. Add in the fact that no one really complained about it being open as long as they could fish from a boat, and it’s no wonder WDFW chose to ignore the requests of a few anglers who wanted it closed only once they couldn’t fish from a boat.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  11. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Good to know Freestone - I had only heard the other side of the argument up until now. Thanks for the information.

12. Freestone

Media:
    Albums:
    Jeese, those who whined that the fish had all been caught in the meat hole that fall, hence leaving none for upstream anglers, should have been there later that winter when that remaining 75% of the run finally came in. It was awesome, if you don't mind fishing in snow and ice.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  13. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I will find time for a couple of days fishing there.

14. jason.allen

jason.allen Member

Just curious, but what makes you say it is no bueno for the columbia this year? While in general fish counts are low in the river as a whole but the fish that run up into to Methow seem to be doing OK. I could be wrong but I am curious how you judge a good run.

Priest Rapids -8966 Steel 92% of the 10 year average.

Wells Dam - 4248 113% of the 10 year average.

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    We are getting conflicting info. The counts I see have them below the 10yr at Wells

16. jason.allen

jason.allen Member

Interesting. Maybe you are right.

17. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Media:
    Home Page:
    Subaru....check (sold a crappy Saab to buy it)
    Coast dwelling...check
    Feather Flinging...check
    Whiny ass... Che---whoah wait a second Sue
    Meterosexual...I lost my Ray Bans, see above re Saab, don't lose my beads on Spey threads, and I don't have neatly trimmed facial hair or a pork-pie hat at a rakish angle and do not think a condo in Belltown is a good idea

Chris Johnson and Freestone like this.
  18. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have an identity crisis when in that area. My family is from the Methow valley, but I am now a coast dweller. I have no people to call my own.

19. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    Try moving here from inland Alabama...

20. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

why does it seem that the only fly/gear conflicts happen at "MEAT" holes. As a flyperson chasing steel, i want to get away from the kiddy pool, where everybody and their cousin and uncle etc, etc, etc go for easy pickings. Ya pick up a bugrod, for the challenge, why not apply that theory in choosing a fishing hole or run, i mean those fish are moving up river right, they are not staying at the meat hole.