Wenatchee, Icicle, Methow Rivers

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by troutpounder, Sep 6, 2012.

1. troutpounder Active Member

everett
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    what about the Klickitat hows that fishing and would that be a better choice for the end of the month?
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,616 / 2
    I thin it's a more open option
  3. troutpounder Active Member

everett
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    I have never fished that river is it good swinging water? wadeable?
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,616 / 2
    There have been a few threads per week about it. Like all things steelheading, you're not going to really know until you go.

Yes it's wadeable
  5. Derek Day Rockyday

Olympia
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    I heard all of the Methow steelhead are actually headed for the Kilckitat, that's why the numbers have been so bad. At least that's what the most recent radio-telemetry data points to (raw data that hasn't been QA/QC'd). Should be epic fishing in the Klick!
  6. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    Sue, that was an epic year in January and February for me, at least the two trips I made it over anyway.

As for the meat hole, I have had no issues with gear guys except when they get mad at me for catching all the fish in front of them. They cheer up when I have them cast over and I give them flies to use. I cheerfully believe that a happy disposition in those places make the experience more fun for everyone, although I will concede that after I bonk my two brats and leave that those remaining most likely make fun of me, but I'm sure in a respectful way. I like crowds and watching other fish caught just adds to the experience.

Gearhead, I did not pick up a flyrod for the challenge, I picked it up so I could catch more fish.
  7. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +407 / 0
    Fish the Klick? For a guy like yourself that's not willing to read the regulations, crack open a map, or make anything that seems like a basic effort;
    It's prohibitively far, and expensive, the ground is hard, no camp fires allowed, pit toilet stink like, get this merde, the days are hot and nights are cool, scary camper people living in the camps, there are snakes,there be spiders, there be bats, and ofcourse rednecks and conservatives, and even a few redneck conservatives!!, and pokey sticks, and sharp rocks, and believe it or not the water is even wet over there, but you'll have waders on so you'll sweat yer balls off in yer waders and we all know that' smells bloody dreadful, and besides you'll prolly get there and end up with coloured up water anyways and catch fuck all.
  8. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,170 / 0
    Ira, yes, it was a good winter that year! Keep your fingers crossed for a good year but I too have heard that all of the steelhead are headed for the Klickitat. Actually, given the Bonneville counts, there is some speculation that the fish are headed down to California so people should start looking for cheap flights!

gearhead, to my knowledge, there is not really any significant fly/gear conflict going on at this particular location, except when Ira catches them all, LOL. Here is my understanding: The conflict was one of boat vs bank anglers. This area is really more of a long channel (.5 mile+?) of varying width than a hole; depending on the water level, in some places it can be quite narrow and sure, it tends to be a busy fly and gear bankie meat hole or a newbie spot. It's in Pateros and is a favored after-work/school, after/before chores kind of place because it is so close but it also attracts many from outside the area. Anyway, some boat anglers started floating this stretch and then the real complaints started: a few boat anglers were accused of either fishing through bank anglers' water and/or anchoring up mid-stream and fishing. Other boat anglers found it easier to launch just below this area and row right up through the gauntlet in the channel, through water being fished, rather than make a long float through a difficult canyon to get down to it. These actions inflammed the bank anglers and to keep the peace*, WDFW banned fishing from boats in this area a few years ago (they do not have the authority to ban boat traffic). This caused some of the boat anglers to then demand that WDFW simply close the whole area to all fishing, bank and boat alike. Keep in mind that boat anglers could still float it, get out and fish from shore if they wanted to but instead, some demanded it be closed to all fishing. This area is a fairly famous hole on the Methow with a long history of bank angling and even has a WDFW parking lot with a cement port-a-potty. It was not, however, an area that saw much boat angling traditionally so the demand to shut it down was seen by many locals as whining, like "if I can't play how I want to play, then no one should be able to play in the sandbox." Worse yet, many/most of the boat anglers did not live in Pateros or the Methow Valley and some were guides, so the locals really didn't look too kindly on non-locals trying to shut down their favorite hole.

To complicate matters more, this new 'no angling from a floating device' closure coinsided with a year when water conditions kept something like 75% of the run out in the Columbia until the winter months so the fishing was generally not good that fall, espcially when compared to a boom year like 2009, when the run was twice as large as it had been in many years. So, not as many fish were being caught that fall, however, the poor upstream fishing was blamed on the guys at the meat hole getting all the fish and some boat anglers wanted it shut down to all fishing so that more fish could pass upstream (where they now were boat angling on the other 49.5 miles of river that allowed it). Like I said, the meat hole guys saw it as sour grapes as many, many fish do make it upstream past the meat hole to both be caught and spawn. But I guess when one isn't catching fish as many fish as they'd like, you gotta blame it on something. Everybody wants to get theirs so we'll see what drama unfolds in 2012 if there aren't as many fish as people would like...

* one of WDFW's mandates is to 'conduct an orderly fishery'. Therefore, not all rules are aimed at conservation but many are 'social' rules, ie. to control people and/or give certain people the opportunity to fish how they want, hence fly-only lakes as well as put and take, bait-allowed lakes.
  9. Methow Member

Twisp, Wa.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    That's ok Evan, as soon as you nymph with jigs with your 2 handed rod we give you your local red neck membership card back.
  10. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +176 / 0
    It defies common sense that having that stretch open doesn't impact fishing upstream, but feel free to believe the propaganda to the contrary. Primary reason it's open is because it's a very effective way to remove hatchery fish. Or at least that's what a certain employee of the WDFW was saying last year.
  11. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    i guess my statement was just a general rant is all....
  12. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,170 / 0
    O mykiss, of course any removal of fish downstream from where one fishes impacts one's fishing, whether it is just one hole down, one dam down or in the ocean. And yes, it is an effective way to remove hatchery fish.

WDFW is supposed to provide opportunity for a wide variety of anglers so the question is 1. whether this hole being open and thereby providing opportunity to one group of anglers removes a disproportionate amount of opportunity from another group of anglers and/or 2. if keeping it open harms too many wild fish. If either of these things were true, I am pretty confident it would be closed. The funny thing is that no one bitches about the anglers in the Columbia who fish bait just a mile downstream of this hole (and throughout the Columbia) and who remove far more hatchery steelhead than the guys at Miller. Like I said, some of the very people pushing to have it closed were gladly fishing there when they could fish from a boat. They didn't seem have a problem with the number of fish being removed there as long as they were helping to remove them. I can almost bet if it were opened to fishing from a boat again, they'd be down there fishing again.

All I know is if a fly or gear angler is willing to stand shoulder to shoulder in a meat hole to catch fish, I'm going to guess that many of them have a different point of view about how much space to give another angler and may define low-holeing differently than I do. Like Evan, I say keep them down there as I don't really want the combat mentality to migrate upstream.
  13. nutsack angler newb

Dedmonds, WA
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    I fished Miller out of my boat in 09 and the situation was a little different than what you are describing, at least the few times I was down there. First of all, to say that thing doesn't hold fish is BS! Secondly, the bankies were fishing too far upstream and once they saw me (coast) my buddies boat (coast) and the red's boat (local) getting into them down in the frog water they started crowding and asking for pointers. We would give them "flies" and advice, and one night the reds boat even picked a guy up for a couple laps. Everyone was getting along fine, but they weren't catching as many fish because they weren't able to get the drift from shore like you could from a boat down there. The amount of fish we hooked was staggering and the locals wanted those results upstream where they could effectively fish so they complained about the hipsters and the guides and now everything is back to normal.