wenatchee opening?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by the_trout_bum, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
  2. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    With The Methow Closure, what do you think now?

3. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

I think it is still likely. Not that there is ever much rhyme or reason to the whole process

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    They will both open. The Methow is closed because of illegal fishing for steelhead. It's a numbers game and the numbers are there.

5. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

While we're waiting: try to get your hands on a wonderful but out-of-print paperback, "Steelhead and the Floating Line: A Meditation" by Bob Arnold (1995, Frank Amato Publications, Inc.). Along with its other delights, it describes many of the best places to fish for steelhead along the Wenatchee; even shows them in good color photos.:ray1:

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Wow a book with X marks the spot!!!!
    I have lived here in Wenatchee for 20 years and I have caught some of the brightest (hatchery) steel head in the late summer (before the closure) in the upper river above Tumwater cyn.
    There are reasons for the late opener, in Oct. to get the wild fish to the spawning grounds.
    I was true to my sport and only fly fished last winter, the only fish I caught was "whitie" and they were foul hooked.
    It sure is nice to be able to fish the home waters even if I don't catch any steel.

7. Jack Murphy

Jack Murphy Member

Media:
    The only thing I caught last year in the Wenatchee was a slight case of frostbite from fishing in 17 degree weather for 4 hours with no gloves.

What an idiot.

8. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Gary,

Not to completely disagree with you but I'm not sure your comment about the late opener is correct. Summer fish are known to be great wanderers. I would bet that a lot of the "wild" fish that come in early above the Tumwater canyon head down river to overwinter in the lower Wenatchee or even the Columbia. Haven't seen any data to support that claim...just more of a hunch.

I believe the late opener is more to ensure that adequate numbers of fish have "escaped" and that hatchery fish are in sufficent numbers to allow a harvest fishery.

9. FT

FT Active Member

Mac,

And I had the good fortune to fish the Wenatchee with my very good friend Bob many times before the 1997 closure. In fact, Bob and I fished it the weekend before it was closed in September 1997. So I not only got to see the pictures and drawings in the book and read Bob's accounts of fishing the river, I actually fished them with him. I also have the book; but my copy is not for sale anytime since Bob gave it to me as a gift when it was published and inscribed it with a personal note from one friend to another.

And as a bonus, this book of Bob's is full of great info on fishing for summer steelhead with a floating line. Heck, he even mentioned in it that he has gotten over his previous disdain for 2-handed rods and was actually fishing one (a Sage 7146 brownie) on the Wenatchee.

10. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    The book's available from Amazon for about 16 bucks. Just ordered my copy! Doesen't say anything about being out of print, so maybe it's been reprinted. For a neophyte like myself, anything would help!

11. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

BDD, not disagreeing also.
    I grew up on the Rogue river system in Oregon and the one thing I learned when fishing on the Rogue is once the steel head went up river he/she would spawn before heading back down river or die. One other thing, I never caught a hatchery steelhead in the Rogue river system.
    On the other hand those hatchery steelhead I caught in the upper Wenatchee may not have ever gone to the sea.
    Steel head are a mystery to me, along with a few other things.

12. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Got the Eastside Steelhead Opener email. The Wenatchee was missing. Last year's email included all these streams opening.

So who knows...

13. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

I wish there was more transparency/logic applied to the whole processes of opening rivers to fishing.