Wenatchee River Steelhead 2011?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Potterteam, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Potterteam

Potterteam New Member

Maybe I don't quote know how to read my rule book but am I to understand that there will be no fishing the Wenatchee this year apart from whitefish? Does this just mean I can't "take" any fish? Can I catch-and-release?

Thanks for any clarification, we're kinda new at this....

2. docstash

docstash Member

3. Skeena88

Skeena88 Member

If the river is closed to fishing for a certain species, then targetting that species would be both illegal and unethical regardless of the intent to release or not. Whitefish seldom are caught on flies bigger than #14.....

4. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Potterteam, as Craig said, you will need to check the emergency regs just before you go to make sure it is still open. Read them carefully and make sure you really, really understand them as it has special regs like you must harvest the hatchery steelhead. Ask questions if you are not sure. If the Wenatchee is still open for steelhead when you want to fish it, you will need to buy a Columbia River endorsement (a special fee to fish it)

5. Potterteam

Potterteam New Member

Thank you all for the clarification. This has been helpful.

6. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Not to be argumentative, but on my last trip to the Hoh, earlier this month, i caught around a dozen whitefish from 6" to 14" or so on a trout bead pegged above a #2 hook. Admittedly I was targeting steelhead, and hooked them as well, but I would fight a citation based on that #14 criteria.

7. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    You would lose unless the river was open for other species. If the river is open to whitefishing only, like say the Kettle, any hook bigger than 3/16 point to shank(hook size fourteen), will get you a deserved ticket. Rivers open in the winter to multiple species(like the one you were fishing), hook size isn't an issue.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Open for whitefish is just that. Closed for all others. Can't be any more simpler than that.

I can't imagine catching Steelhead on a size 14 fly. But then again we here in Montana catch big browns on smaller flies. I like to use a size 20 nymph in the winter time.

9. Skeena88

Skeena88 Member

Triploidjunkie is correct. If the river is closed for other species, then whitefish gear rules apply during the whitefish open season.
    From the WDFW regulations page 19:
    "Whitefish Gear rules:- Fishing gear is restricted to one single-point hook, maximum hook size 3/16" point to shank (hook size 14), and bait is allowed."

10. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    They wre taking the small bead and not the hook so your argument really doesn't work.

Ira..