Wenatchee Steelhead Season Looks Unlikely

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by c1eddy, Oct 24, 2008.

1. c1eddy

c1eddy Member

Hate to start another Wenatchee River thread, but seems best way to get the latest information out. This decision to keep the river closed is not over and done with, apparently, but the report given this evening in the Wenatchee World's "Outdoor Insider" piece says that it is not looking good for an opening. Here is a link to the whole article: http://wenatcheeworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081024/OUT/710246492

2. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Sounds about right. There is not a lot of fish in the system anyway. About a 3,000 fish difference between RI and RR dams and 1,400 fish over Tumwater means about 1,600 fish between Leavenworth and the mouth. Subtract the wild fish and you are left with too few hatchery fish to justify a season. Sounds like they are working on acclimation ponds to reduce the amount of strays so maybe the future will be brighter.

3. c1eddy

c1eddy Member

I broke it down even more so I could understand the differences between last year (when they opened the river) vs. this year:

As of 10/22 -
    3,250 fish difference between R.I. and R.R. in 2007, vs. 2,925 in 2008
    1,760 wild fish difference between the dams in 2007, vs. 1,709 in 2008
    1,490 hatchery fish difference between the dams in 2007, vs. 1,216 in 2008
    1,068 sthd. over Tumwater dam in 2007, vs. 1500 (approx.) in 2008

So with about 300 fewer hatchery fish...and the fact that 1/2 of the total run is already above Tumwater dam...the chances do indeed look like they are slim to none for a fishery. I was pretty stoked for it. That'll teach me. Guess I'll join the gang on the Methow, where the chances of catching a Wenatchee River fish are probably better, anyway.

4. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Bummer... Good times there last year.

5. c1eddy

c1eddy Member

In a Wenatchee World article dated Oct. 3 http://wenatcheeworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081003/OUT/710031576, WDFW biologist says that there are enough wild fish, just waiting to see more hatchery fish.
    In the latest WDFW Weekender report (see under North Central Washington section) http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/weekendr/weekendr.htm, same biologist says insufficient wild fish keeps river closed.
    Maybe things change as they get upriver counts from Tumwater dam. Or maybe they just get confused on why they open it/keep it closed. Either way, agree that there does not seem to be enough fish to warrant an opening. Getting too cold for me, anyway.