Went to Teal today

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by WABOWMAN, Jan 23, 2012.

1. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

I went out to Teal lake today.I looked out from the parking lot and saw a sight i didn't expect! ICE!I went down to investigate and saw that it was about a half inch thick and only out about 25yrds from shore.I sat and thought "is it worth it"?I told myself that it was and whats the differance between fishing and duck hunting.Ive broke lots and lots of ice while duck hunting,why not fishing?
    Went to the truck and got one of my oars and made a path as far as i could from the dock.Got all my gear and went for it!I had to use one of my oars to pull my self a foot a t a time the last 20 feet breaking the ice as i drug my toon up on the ice to break it!
    You ask" was it all worth it"?
    Yes it was! I had 2 fish to hand in about an hour and the sun was shining bright!All in all a great day!
    Any of you done this before?

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Yes! As a matter of fact, at Teal Lake a couple seasons back. Caught fish too! I think it was a bit thinner than your experience. Pretty funny.

3. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

Media:
    lol i did that at a local lake for about a hundred yards or so, THAT took forever. sounds like it was worth it though!

4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Lol we did this very thing at teal last Monday. My report is on this forum. Good job playing through the pain!

5. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I did this on Lone a couple years back during a relative hard freeze. I got stuck in the pram and it took a long time to get back to shore. Haha. Launched in a different spot with thinner ice and yes, fishing was great on that bluebird day.

6. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

Nick...it sounds like you had a more exciting trip out on the ice than i did.Ive joked about cutting casting lanes through the ice before.It sounds like you guys had one made for you with that small hole you had to fish.

7. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Use to do Dry Falls closing party every year. Great times !!! Drank as much as fished !!

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Nice report. I've done the same thing there the last couple of years. Work worth the effort every time.

9. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:

Yeah, having that open strip was pretty convenient. Our trip was made much more exciting by my own negligence; forgetting to double check the plug is something I won't repeat.
    I was thinking about driving up there one of these nights after work and taking a look, but I can see now there is no need. I'm so ready for spring!

10. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    I did this many, many times in my younger years, on Fourth of July Lake. But the real kicker is I used to do it when I had my old school round belly boat and a pair of Hodgman neoprenes. I would carry a stick or use my net to bust up the ice as far as I could reach, move forward a couple feet, break more ice, move forward a couple feet, etc. It didn't take long before I was so numb it didn't hurt any more. Walking when I would get out on feet that I couldn't feel was a real chore. But the worst was when my feet would start warming up again, that is when they hurt the worst.
    But I will tell you, I had some amazing days fishing.

11. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I've seen teal completely iced over several times, but never braved creating a channel in the super fat cat. Might try it in the pram sometime. I was thinking about going tomorrow but right now the wind forcast is a bit on the high side.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Ice will hold you in place. You can watch your bobber on the downwind side of the pram.

13. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Last March Irafly and I were out on a basin lake that was about 1/2 iced over. We were fishing the edge of the ice cap on an arm of a lake that was blocked off from the main basin by the ice. Besides the fishing, we had an entertaining day watching boat after boat approach the ice cap from the main lake side and try to break their way through 100+ yards. Most didn't make it. But they kept pushing the ice our direction which caused Ira much confusion as he was anchored up on the edge and finding his anchor dragging every few minutes as the ice pushed his boat. It took a while to put the situation together and determine why he couldn't keep his position.

14. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

At my age, my insanity does not extend to fishing in the ice. Although I have toyed with the idea. But then the creaking bones make their presence know and I discard the idea.

Glad you fellows had a good time.

15. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    I am in California and it was 65 degrees today....but are you fishing north or south teal?? Both lakes freeze almost every winter and given a mild winter like this I would suspect that the ice would be really thin!!!

There are better lakes to fish this time of year than the Teal Lakes???

16. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Vladimir,
    Are you talking about Teal Lake near Port Ludlow in Jefferson County?

17. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    I think he is talking about north and south teal lake in the potholes region of grant county.