west seattle rockfish?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by bhudda, Jun 17, 2007.

1. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    i caught no cutts but i did catch what i believe to be a rockfish, im looking online trying to match it up, was brown in color with spots. was throwing a 12.5ft spey with sinking line on lowtide today around noon. so i was hitting areas i never could cast to before and the tide had a steelhead like swing to it so i just let it coast:) fish was caught on ringlee's tube fly swap fly.... nice pattern:) bringing a camera is like a jinx for me, so no pics.
    bhudda

edit- ok now if i recall, thinking reaaaal hard, i think it had halo's around the spots? maybe? that s what my heads tellin me. still need help on this. it was approx. 12-14 inches. had spots on its fins and was lighter in color on the belly.
  2. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    sounds more like a greenling to me
    -T
  3. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +100 / 0
    Sounds like a keeper Jeff, fry it up!!! LOL
  4. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Tom i was leaning towards greening also after looking at pictures. was a suprise as i was looking for flashes of silver and saw dark instead? huh. thought it was a flounder but hey,really cool, should of spent more time lookin but a quick turn of the pliers and he was gone.
  5. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +719 / 0
    An interesting catch!

Did the fish have strong dorsal spines? If so not a greenling.

A greenling would be a pretty rare catch in the Seattle area - lots in the kelp beds of the San Juans but not so many in the central/south sound

A commonly caught rockfish from Puget Sound beaches are yellowtail rockfish. A pretty neat rockfish that seems to migrates more than most Puget Sound rockfish and has the unique ability (for a rockfish) to "vent" gases from its air bladder. Pretty common for them to have lighter "spots" along their dorsal side.

http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/groundfish/RockfishGuide/Rockfish_Pages/Yellowtail_rockfish.htm

Tight lines
    Curt
  6. Dave Hartman is tired of trout

Whitefish, MT
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Hey guys,
    super new to the area, and I've been fishing for SRC a bunch lately. In doing so, I've hooked a blackmouth, and two weird fish I'd like to know the names of. The first was a small flounder, maybe just larger than my hand, dark slimy brown on top, no teeth, uglier than sh*t.. In New England we had several names for them, but most called them skates. The second fish was also ugly, dark brown, shaped more like a rockfish, but had super spiny dorsal fins all around, just a butt ugly little thing.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  7. Salmon fisher Member

BI WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    woleybugger- the second fish sounds like a sculpin. They are very common around here. Did it have a large head?
  8. tyeechuck Member

SEATTLE, WA.
    My bet is also on a kelp greenling I have caught them several times at Lincoln park especially north of the pool by the kelp bed in the cove.

Jim
  9. 100daysayear One more victim of the never ending journey.

Seattle, WA
    Assuming that what you caught was a greenling and since you've got a spey set up, next time go ahead and take a few casts with the little critter attached. Lings love greenling! Wait, that was my regs-ignoring alter-ego taking over for a second. Seriously, in the San Juan's I've hooked greenling in the 10" range and had them pounded in about 30' of water by Big Daddy Ling. Goes from good fight to game over in 3,2,1...

RJ
  10. bhudda heffe'

basement
    love it now im all confused, looks kinda like a yellowtail rf but has more greenling characteristics, less bass looking and more big head slender back end. gotta just go catch that thing again:)
  11. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    You didn't say its length . . .

sounds like you caught a sculpin. I've caught 'em from 2" long to 12" long.
  12. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I've caught copper rockfish on gear in that area before, maybe one of those?

Not the best pic, but you can sort of tell what it looks like...

[IMG]

Edit: Maybe your fish was a little lingcod?
  13. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Richard- not a sculpin, was sure of that.
    Ibn not a copper rf either,
    i think that the color of the body on the copper rf has molting like color, sorta like an oscar ( tankfish) ,, the fish i caught had one color with spots lighter on the belly if i recall and again was 12-14 inches long. ill be back-
  14. pcknshvl Member

SEATTLE, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Cabezon, maybe?
  15. Benni Member

seattle, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    fishing that area last fall, dredging the bottom in about 20' of water, i brought up something big and ugly. until i had a picture to compare it to, my buddy dubbed it "poison poison tasty fish". once i did a picture comparison, the closest thing i came up with was a quillback rockfish, big eyes, brown, spots, and large "quills" in the dorsal fin. it was actually one of the cooler looking fish i have caught out here.
  16. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    "poison, poison tasty fish" sounds like an Irish lord.
  17. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    "poison, poison tasty fish" - I think that applies to any bottom fish taken from Puget Sound. :)