West side forest grouse HELP!

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by andrew, Sep 3, 2007.

1. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Hit the hills around the North Fork of the Nook around 9:00 this morning with my dog and a friend. Didn't see anything except for many spent shells littering the ground. One person we passed and mangaged to talk to had said that he saw four (bear hunting).

We hit roads that went through clear cut, roads that were roads at one time, roads with streams parallel to them, roads with berries, roads at 1000', roads at 3000'...we drove a lot of roads and did not see a damn thing! Except for a gin clear pool on a section of a small creek we walked along with at least four 12+" fish...when you're fishing you wish you were hunting, and when your hunting you wish you were fishing! Next time I'm packing my 4wt...hell my game bag on my vest wasn't needed!

Did I start out to late? I came across an article that stated grouse are not early risers...and that you don't have to get out there until 10 or so in the morning...so I figured 9.

Any advice would be great!

Andrew

2. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    Did you get out of your truck at all? Hunting from the comfort of your truck on day 3 of the season is definitely not going to score you many birds. The birds near roads get the most pressure and early in the season is when they get get the most pressure for the whole year.

Start hiking. Bring a bird dog. Shoot flushed birds.

3. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    CWUGirl,

Oh we walked!...I just used the truck to get me from road to road or area to area. I thought the last place we hit was "birdy", but turned up nothing. It was a beautiful "overgrown" logging road that must have been abandoned more than five years ago...it had water, berries, and cover, but no birds.

When we did go up to 3,000' or higher there were alpine meadow areas, however, we didn't hit them since we thought we were to high. However, after doing some research I may have missed some primo "blue" habitat.

Will you find them in fir stands? For instance we walked an area that was a mix of old growth and maybe 20 year with very little ground cover so it was pretty easy walking, and if I did see a bird I may have even had a chance. Or are you more apt to find them in the dense mixed forest, where you have small deciduous mixed with 2-5 year fir, and almost impassable ground cover?

My problem...every thing out there today looked and sensed birdy...however, I'm used to the wide open corn and soy bean fields of Indiana...where forests are nothing but 200 year old oaks and maples and very little ground cover.

:confused:

4. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Some days you see 'em, some days you don't. Keep covering lots of ground. You can find them any time but after a good rain is the best. Older roads have more cover, more food, and less traffic. They'll be around the blackberries more when the berries get over ripe and fall off.

5. klintd

klintd Member

Media:
    I always try to target bottoms of ravines that have a mix of deciduous and firs trees. I have also found a younger forest (20 foot trees) seems to be better than an older forest. Early in the season things are hit or miss as far as finding birds but when you do find em there is usually more than one so be ready. The young of the year are likely to still be together.

6. j herald

j herald New Member

Media:
    yeah, what CWUGirl and Klintd said: get outa yer rig and into some ravines. A dog certainly helps, but where you find one blue you'll likely find more. And in the ravines, they don't travel far when flushed.

PS - open choke for close range...

7. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Also look for the favorite food, I have a local wild crabapple tree that the ruffs sit in every nite, used to shoot them for food but now just gather wild food.

8. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Damn, wish I had time to blow a away few blues. Wet sides are ok, but east siders are even dumber. Gotta go check the zoo on the river.

9. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Don't feel to bad.
    I hunted Saturday and Sunday only saw three took one all from the road. The one I took was at sun rise. The other two were around 0900.
    Dogs and I put in two or three miles of ridge lines that usually hold many birds and didn't see any.
    I would hit the alpine ridge lines.
    Good hunting

10. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    So...from what I'm hearing I should go as high as possible, and hit the alpine ridgelines/meadows for blues. As for ruffs look hit ravines.

I'll give it another shot...

Thanks all!

11. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Andrew, If you want grouse, go east young man. For four days I saw nothing but lots of birds, blues and ruffs. Most of the ruffs were in real tight stuff, but I managed to harvest four. Blues were more in the open but a group of 5 outwitted me and I only harvested one.

But on the plate it doesn't matter how many, just how good they taste...:thumb:

I'll post more tomorrow.

12. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    I took everyone's advice and hit the hills Sunday mid afternoon till 6:00. Game plan was to hit a high ridge that had alpine meadows with hope of an encouter with Mr. Blue. Fifteen minutes into my drive I flushed a ruffy on the road...came to a stop and watched it land a 100 yards or more down the road. Finally after a few minutes of pondering if this was "sporting" enough...I got out with gun and dog with the thought that this would be the best way for my lab pup to realize why we are out here. Needless to say no sooner did Libby jump from the car another truck flew by and flushed the grouse high into a tree...back to the original plan.

Got to the ridge to find myself in a world of 'soup' and bagged the idea of walking aimlessly in a meadow to only be lost for a night in the woods....back down the road.

Needless to say I found a short spur off a main road that had 6-7' alders 2' on center...made my way through them...100 yards down this spur Libby started going nuts...just as I lost site of her I thought I was being picked up by a Bell H1! WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP! Didn't see the bird, but Libby sure did!

Getting closer!

13. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I think your getting the idea.
    I walked a short trail to an alpine lake on Sunday morning and my pup flushed a big blue (her first and I missed it, darn)
    This is up to you, but I'll shoot'em sitting still or off a tree limb. Shooting from, in, or on a traveled road is against the law.
    Please be very, very careful not to get run over, or puppy get run over.

14. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

It rained last night and this morning. When I was out fishing today I was thinking it would be a good day to find some grouse.

15. Ross4344

Ross4344 New Member

Ummm Andrew you said you where hunting up north fork???what logging roads did you take?? If you are truly hunting up north fork road, there isnt much of grouse up there.

16. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Ross,

North Fork Rd ends and dumps you onto a bunch of logging roads. If you have any better ideas for around here I'm all ears! :confused:

I was told to hit this area by the former H&H guys....

17. Ross4344

Ross4344 New Member

LOL, well they got you heading in the right direction. Off of mosqutio lake road there is millons of great places, especailly if you follow middle fork up. I believe its also called porter creek road(or nf-38), its right before you hit the bridge that goes over middle fork, also if you keep going there are a few roads that go off with little skid roads that have produce grouse for as long as i have known about it. Mainly north fork though is to heavily traveld, espically right now because of logging going on. Also about porter creek you get a mixture of blues if you head up, and if you stay on the main road almost everytime i have gone up there i have seen ruffs.

Canyon Creek road just beyond glacier is also another good place, not to many places to run a dog unless you like some harsh terrain at times. But a good place to road hunt, there is church lake up there 2 that is simple hike. Great blue berry patches around the lake to get a young dog into blues(my old wirehair, that was the first place she ever put up live game birds as a pup).

Then there is glacier creek that is right before canyon creek on the right side of the road(huge sign cant miss it, same with canyon its about a mile up and on the left with another big sign) right as you get on it there is Y, right goes up glacier creek road, then left, goes up to skyline ridge divide trail head. Im not sure about going left but glacier creek road at the top has some great places to run a dog for blues. Even if you dont get birds, the scenery is awesome up in that area, so take a camera!!

I have gotten grouse at all of those locations this season. Just watch out and dont get discourage by traffic, this time of year there is lots of traffic with the beauty of fall around this area. Porter creek and north fork(espically north fork) you have logging trucks rallying down just give you heads up.

If you need more detailed directions im not sure how it works on here but you can send me an e-mail to sk8t_ross@hotmail.com or look on yahoo map, it should show you how to get there.

if this helps you i tried it in yahoo maps and it work, go up 542 a ways and you can see canyon creek 2
    http://maps.yahoo.com/broadband#mvt..., WA&trf=0&lon=-121.907859&lat=48.90727&mag=4
    Sorry forgot about bell creek road 2, its a little past the turn to go up mosquito lake rd, there are signs that say public accsess only da da da to discourage people from dumping there, once you get past the houses there is a lot of garbage in spots, but i have seen grouse up there. Havent gone up in that area for a couple of years but you never know!! Other then that just keep asking around, there are way more logging roads there then what i have metoind in whatcom county, but those are the ones i know of that have produce grouse

If you head up there good luck and good hunting