western washington fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fishboy5, Feb 6, 2002.

1. fishboy5 New Member

Battle Ground, WA, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Does anybody know any good places for trout in Western WA (around Battle Ground)? I'm really just getting into fishing and don't know any good places. I'm not asking for any secret spots, though they would be nice. :THUMBSUP
    If anybody is going to be in the area and wants to "hook" up, I'd greatly be in your debt.
    Thanks,
    Joe
  2. emasterj20 New Member

Right in your backyard is Battle Ground lake. There are brook trout and rainbow trout in the lake. Brood trout are also planted here. I used to bait fish in the lake, but I'd always see flyfishermen in float tubes do very well there. I've wanted to go back and try the fly at Battle Ground Lake ever since I picked up flyfishing, but I don't have a float tube. So I have been limited to flyfishing rivers in the area.
  3. bugs New Member

I've been curious about this too. What's this skinny on Western Washington streams and rivers. I've fished along the I90 at just about every pull out that I could find this side of the pass.

I wouldn't give up my first born for the information but... Well, now that I think about it.

No, no, I wouldn't.

Tough decision (whether or not to give up your first born for info on those "secret" fishing spots)

It would be nice to fish a productive river or stream for trout within an hours drive or less from the eastside???

Any ideas? How about this time of the year?

I do have a cat I would give up in a heart-beat for this kind of info.!

Thanks,
    Bugs...
  4. fishboy5 New Member

Battle Ground, WA, U.S.A.
    I fish Battle Ground occasionally with bait. But I don't have a float tube. I know that the east fork of the lewis is right by me, but I don't know anything about steelhead, rivers, river/steelhead flys, or anything else (I've never flyfished). I have heard that streams can be the easiest things to fish for a beginner.
  5. fishnfella New Member

Grand Coulee, Washington, USA.
    Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

Hey Bugs, you're dreaming if your looking for good troutfishing in the streams of W. Washoington. The lower rivers below a dam or fishblocking falls are full of steelhead smolts and baby salmon all year and if you fish for them you're mostly breaking the law and risk some steelheader breaking your noggin.
    There is some trout fishing above the dams without fish passage and above falls barriers like on the Snoqualmie, but it is freestone river fishing and there is little stream ecology to grow good trout. Most of it is regulated to the summer period and the fish are small mostly.
    Take up lake fishing!
  6. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Sea Run Cutthroat are an excellent C&R target in W Washington streams and rivers. Like salmon and steelhead, you have to learn the timing for a specific system, but don't over look these eager biters.

Also keep in mind that you can take just about any fish in w washington on streamers and wooly buggers. From bass to king salmon. Just check the regs, and make sure your gear matches the fish size...
  7. emasterj20 New Member

Very good trout fishing does exist in some western washington streams. Yes, above the reservoirs/dams. They aren't fishable this time of year of course. But I did very well on one river in particular this last summer. The fish were of decent size too. Just need to do a little research and explore.