Westport coho in the surfing lineup

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Chester Allen, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    I was surfing at Westhaven State Park -- right near the South Jetty -- this morning, and I was loving the small, clean, glassy waves. I also pearled on one wave and my board whopped me right on the head.

Anyway, a nice coho salmon jumped out of the water about 10 feet away from my board. I guess this fish was about five or six pounds. I saw two schools of similar fish breeze by about an hour later.

I've been seeing bait balls, birds working and jumping coho from the lineup for the past few weeks. I also noticed that some charter and private boats were fishing inside today.

About 1 million coho are expected to swim past Westport this summer, and the fishing is going to be epic -- I hope so, anyway. I don't own an ocean-going boat, but I'd be out there ASAP -- weather permitting -- if I did.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,237 / 9
    Sounds like you just need a rod rack on your surf board Chester...and a waterproof camera of course.
  3. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    Dang Chester! Quit torturing me! That's practically within spitting distance of my driveway. If my so-called "buddy" with the "ocean going" boat doesn't ask me out fishing soon, I'm putting him on my shit list! :mad::confused::(:beathead: Either that, or I'm going to have to go for it on a relatively calm day in my Ultimate 12.

Be careful with that longboard. I got whopped once with an old and heavy 60's Greg Noll 9'10" log, and I had to get 8 stitches right above my left eye. I think that board weighed in at over 30 lbs.
    You'd pearl those things, and they'd sometimes pop up into the air. Back in the late 60's when I was still surfing on longboards, if we pearled on a wipeout, we'd wait underwater until we heard the board land on the surface. It usually made an audible "splat." We didn't use leashes back then. If our boards got away from us, we swam. I soon became a better swimmer.

I'm ordering a new custom "stubby" longboard so I can enjoy the small summer waves. I used to make some of my own boards, but my friend, Dustin Hackney...aka "Cove Surfboards" (available thru Steepwater Surf), does a much better job. I'm trading him back the 6' 9" X 18.5" X 2.5" board he made for a recent benefit auction, that I bid on and won. It's too small for me, and the artwork on the bottom, by Mike Peterson, is much too savage for my style or liking.

This new one will only be about 7' 6" long, but as thick and wide as a regular 9 footer, (maybe 2 7/8"" thick along the stringer, and nearly 22" wide, and 14.25" 1-foot up from the tail). Not your standard dimensions for a "hybrid," but an "ancient marinator's" model that rides like a longboard without the Jimmy Durante "nose" sticking out. These designs don't pearl so easily, but catch waves. You can pull off much later takeoffs with the stubby designs than you can with a 9+ footer. I always hated pearling in the pit.:eek:

Thanks for the report! I'm leaving the beach tomorrow, but I'll be back by Sunday, bugging my "friend" to take me salmon fishing!!!!!:beathead:
  4. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    Jim,
    Surfboards have injured me in the past, and they'll hurt me again. Hmmm? What does this remind me of?
    Going out of that jetty on a small boat is really going for it -- big time!
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    Women

Only heading out there in my U-12 if the wind is light, tide is right, and surf is very small. I'd be carrying flares and my marine radio, planning on not to need them. Then I'll likely stay inside the tip of the jetty. I have front and rear spray skirts for my U-12. Might use my floatation bags in the bow and stern if I think I have to land it on the ocean beach instead of the calm water just inside the wave refraction mound in Half Moon Bay. Main problem will be avoiding the Coasties.
  6. Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Port Orchard,WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Thats cool. I am going out of westport for tuna tomorrow and might stay over night to try for some blue sharks. I will be checking how others do for salmon though.

Clint