Westport Rocket Run

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by yellowlab, Jun 17, 2012.

1. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    The reports were off the hook in week one since the opener and I was licking my chops to get some time on the water with dad. I hope this means we'll get a nice return of fish to our local waters. Fishing with 1:1 ratio mooching reels feels like fly fishing, but you can't pull 15-20 lb'ers in 80' of water moving at 3 knots without downriggers. Regardless, it was great to be out with dad as a pre-funk to Father's Day. A few pics here, but the rest on the BLOG

5005.1.jpg 5016.1.jpg 5026.1.jpg 5036.1.jpg 5061.1.jpg
  2. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +186 / 0
    Cool picks and way to go on the kings Paul. That new boat of yours looks awesome. Oh and the king bite in area 11 has been pretty good jigging. Lets just say the freezer is already full of king salmon for the year.
  3. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    HMMMMM... Im going to need to do some exploring down there and see for myself! :)
  4. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Nice! Thanks for the pics. Looks like you made short work of the run back in.
    I didn't get out for the Kings, but I paddled out along the jetty in my Tarpon on Friday just after the afternoon tide change and jigged up two fairly nice "blue" lings in about 40 minutes. I was back on the beach in less than one hour after I launched, with a 26" and a 27". I found 'em in 18' of water, according to my sonar. Both were hooked within 50' of each other. I had a couple of other good grabs that I missed, too.
    Also, I enjoyed a few nice rides surfing right there Thursday evening, where can you see the waves breaking behind that surfer's head, next to the jetty. Ha! I know that surfer!
  5. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +484 / 0
    Thanks for the report. I always dig reading your stuff...
  6. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Dang! I pulled a calf muscle dragging my yak back up the beach last week. Still not healed enough to try to beach launch here for the Kings. I know the deckhand on the Tequilla Too. He's a local surfer. He told me they got their limit of Kings early yesterday, not far outside the surf line, in shallow water, then went after the bottom fish. They were not far south of the jetty, and about even with the fog horn. He told me that I should have been out there fishing in my yak.
    I have been hearing many other good fishing reports here lately. Someone told me they even saw a stray pod of summer run steelhead swim thru the boat basin a few days ago. Probably got sidetracked on their way to the Hump or 'Nooch.