Westport - steelhead trailer

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Chromer, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Chromer Defeat terrorism

Newcastle, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Caught a coho on terminal gear over the weekend. When up by the side of the boat, several fish trailed the hooked fish. One had a red stripe, a steelhead (in the ocean, 12 miles out)
  2. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Am I missing something:confused:
  3. Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Maple Valley, WA, USA.
    Just the obvious. :beathead:
    The man saw a steelhead follow his hooked coho to the boat.
    Pretty cool to him obviously.
  4. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +714 / 2
    Did you pull on the tweed hat, slip into your Simms gear, break out the Burkheimer and then delicately wake a Grease Liner over that steelheads lie? But only after taking a pull from the bottle of Scotch and lighting up a good Cuban.

Just curious because that is the only way to redeem yourself after admitting to fishing hardware.;)
  5. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Oh, o.k.... cool.
  6. jasmillo Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    Uggh....how awful…..
    I hope that’s your satirical description of a fly-fisherman. If not, I think I might boot the person you described off my boat. Let ‘em use their Cubans and Scotch as flotation devices
  7. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    :thumb: Yeah, what Jaz said~
  8. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Anybody with Cubans and Scotch is welcome in my boat :) :) :)
  9. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Hopefully the women, not the men (Cubans that is...), though if one swings from that side of the plate that's cool too... Also, wouldn't you have to be more that 25 miles out for that to be legal too?
  10. frankrutledge Guest

ROFLMAO
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: !
  11. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    What's wrong with a Scotch and a cigar?
    Or tweed? Tweed is one of the greatest materials ever. It retains heat even when wet.
    Or Burkheimer. THose are great rods, and they aren't more expensive than Sage, T&T, or Winston.
  12. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    All are good... In moderation. Put 'em all together at one time.. and.. well... you'd better cast a sweet line or you'll just end up looking like another urban elitist flyfisherman.:thumb:

Anyone else seen a double striper (steelhead that is) out in the big blue? Wouldn't a steelhead that returns to the salt regain it's chromedness pretty quick?
  13. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    I totally see that. :beer2:
    I see those guys wearing the Patagonia waders, Sage Rod, fleece everything, and driniking a Starbucks latte.
    I guys they run the gamet.
  14. Will Atlas Guest

PT,

I doubt the fish was a Kelt. Most would have been out of the systems in SW WA and Oregon Coastal areas by the end of may, and they would indeed turn chrome again upon entering salt. More likely a summer run fish moving up the columbia. Sweet to see that though, steelhead are pretty mysterious in the ocean, they dont school and they migrate over vast expanses (fish tagged from the Skagit have been caught in the Sea of Japan!)

Will
  15. frankrutledge Guest

No patagonia, Columbia yes... Sage, yes.....Fleece Yes (sometimes sweatshirt or t shirt), Starbucks Yes, latte, No thanks....gives me gas and if you are wearing waders it can be bad, and worse if you forget about it and bend over.....what this has never happend to you! :confused:

I didn't know that ( the Japan thing ) very cool. Great fish.
  16. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    So the take home is never mention the G word on a flyfishing board.
  17. Chromer Defeat terrorism

Newcastle, WA.
    Atlas seems to be the only one enlightened by the post. Since I offended most people by using the G word, I will remember to use NFR or post in "The Salt" section of this forum next time.
  18. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Chromer, hang tough my friend. It's defintely interesting, I just don't know what to make of it.
  19. BFK Member

North Sound, Wash.
    Yeah, it's just terrible when one backslides, especially when the fish on the barbie is sizzling...

I caught a steelhead two years ago on a spoon off a downrigger 50 feet down, if memory serves. Caught it searching for silvers north of Lagoon Point well away from shore.
  20. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    They say if you have to explain a joke, well...

I was just poking fun at the peanut gallery because I knew as soon as you said you were fishing terminal gear that you might just get (insert firing squad gremlin here).:thumb: