Westport surfperch alert!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Chester Allen, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

Tacoma, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  2. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    I saw the mount of that Great White displayed at the Seattle boat show back in the early or mid 80's. It was 17' long and really "girthy." Quite fearsome to behold, from a surfer's point of view, if you let your imagination run away with you.
    However, your chances of getting taken out by a drunk driver on any of your local roads are a gazillion times greater than your chances of getting bit by a Great White while surfing in WA waters.
    Oregon is a different matter. Great White central down there, from Seaside Point and on down the coast.
  3. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Nice shots, Thomas. You don't see too many clean 8 - 10+ foot days at the Jetty peak like the one in your first pic. I've got a small collection of photos of WA surfing taken back throughout the 80's and 90's. Stuffed in a box somewhere.
    That last shot of the "un-named" spot is classic WA wilderness surfing, waiting for a "peak to nowhere.":clown:
  4. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    I hardly ever get a head cold. I went by the Mermaid Deli on the way home Tuesday, and bent down to get my wallet out of my backpack -- and saltwater ran out of my nose and pooled up on the floor. I got some napkins and cleaned up the saltwater....

The girl behind the counter didn't even blink an eye. I bet she sees that a lot.

Thomas, those are awesome shots. BIG, clean and offshore. Epic days out there. Those waves are a little big for my skill set, which tends to feel happiest on those smaller, cleaner longboard days. Geez, I must be 47....

The new wetsuits are expensive -- but light and warm. I demoed the new Patagonia suit last fall, and it was fabulous. "What's in your wallet?"

Matt, it's pretty easy to learn how to stand up on a surfboard. The hard part -- which is also the fun part -- is learning how to read waves, being in position -- especially on a beach break like Westport -- and just becoming a better paddler and rider. It's all about getting better -- without becoming a knucklehead in the process. The good news is that there is no penalty for falling.

And paddling a surfboard around is a good way to find fish.
  5. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +192 / 2
    Well, I just mit mid-40's myself and came to surfing too late to ever be a proficient shortboarder. Those pics were from a few years back when I was surfing every weekend and swimming/training during the week. I wouldn't paddle out into that now: 1) I'd get my ass handed to me, 2) wouldn't want to waste such a good wave that someone else could better use, especially in the Corner. I'm definitely more low-risk, picky now. I'm all about shoulder high, long, clean lefts where I can cruise on my McTavish Original 9'6" and comtemplate the magic of stoke. If I could do that at dawn and fish a dusk hatch with a giant hamburger interlude at midday on the OP... That would be a helluva day.
  6. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    Thomas --
    You just summed up my entire philosophy of surfing to the T.

I'm 47 -- 48 next month -- and I started surfing in SoCal at 14. I surfed hard for years, but it slipped away from me when I moved to the Northwest. Sure, I surfed from time to time, but not on regular basis.

I started surfing regularly again -- once or twice a week -- about five years ago, and I'm all about the longboard ride -- magic.... I'm pretty picky about conditions as well.
    My daughter, who is 18, has surfed for a few years, and nothing beats a day on the water with her. She also likes to fish after surfing.
  7. Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I guess larger streamers with glow in the dark material or even those little chem lights might work for the Humboldts. Figure a 10 wt with a sink tip may handle some of them? They hit the harbor in the later part of the year? Perhaps another chapter in the strange fishing journal.
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Humboldt Squid are voracious feeders that will eat anything they can catch. A large wounded baitfish pattern might be all you need. You might need your biggest stick, as they have jet propulsion. My friend got spooled by a huge one ("big as a man"). It took 300 yds of 30 lb test and left the reel empty. Later, they saw the still lit-up plug going back and forth under the boat. That was a really big one, though.
    They were out commercial shrimping, staying out about 3 days until they filled the hold. The squidding was the evening entertainment. The squid were attracted by the powerful halogen lights on the boat.

They were really thick in the boat basin, last October, but I'm not kicking myself for not trying for one, just so that I could claim that I caught one. I could have just grabbed a dying one from the rocks and processed it for jetty bait. That population explosion and mass die-off may have been a one-time occurrence. It looked like they were taking over the ocean for a while there. Maybe this colder water will keep 'em away. Its only about 47 degrees F along the beaches right now.
  9. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    Perch, Surfing, Squid, now thats one hell of a thread.
    I saw a show on Humbolt Squid and those things scare
    me.... I found an article about some guy diving with
    them in Mexico... he had to wear body armour to protect
    himself.
    David
  10. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Banzai, give me a shout when you head out this way.
    Remember the #1 rule of surf perch fishing, and that is to keep moving until you find the surf perch. The schools move around, and they may have just vacated the good looking spot you are fishing. If you don't get any strikes after working the entire zone you are fishing, move on.
    I worked about 200 yds of shoreline around some structure yesterday, casting to 50 or 60 yards out with my spin outfit and bait, and retrieving slowly all the way in. Murky water, was a new location for me to try, & not even a hit. I fished for about an hour and a half.
    However, I arrived after the tide had already hit high and turned. That strategy has only worked for me before at a spot with a very steep beach and deep trough right along the shoreline.

Crap. I wasn't planning on surf or jetty fishing today, but the conditions have shaped up to where they are beckoning me to abandon work plans, and if I hurry, I can still get the last hour or so of incoming tide. If any of my customers are reading this, well, all I can say is that the world won't end if your grass isn't cut today. Sorry.:p
  11. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    That's so true...When I started surfing down in Socal. shit was that really 30 years ago? Tommy Curren, where are you?....Anyways, my nick name was "pearl" because I sucked and went after the waves no one else did and got pounded into the sand.... Eventually you learn to read um though.....Can remember fondly the feeling of my leash coming tight and board heading straight for my duece dropper...:rofl:

Now sitting here looking at the pic's my wife walked by and said..."Oh No..not again"...She fondly remembers our bathtub with wetsuits hanging and wax stuck all over the bottom with sand etc stuck in it...Damn she hated our bathtub...

Now 50...looking at those dry suits makes shrinkage worst then george on seinfield a real possibility....
  12. Rocket Red Vegetarian Cannibal

Elma
    Ratings: +14 / 0
  13. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    Rocket: I would love to hook a coho in the surf! I bet that was amazing!

I did hook a small rezzie coho -- about 15 inches -- while fishing a South Sound beach during that big falling tide this morning. Good for sea-run cutts too.
    We're reaching that point where there is going to be so much going on....
  14. aquaholic New Member

The doomy gloom
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I joined up on this web site a few months ago and I really enjoy the comunity (some characters out there...) as welll as the exchange of ideas and information. I am also a surfer and reading this thread really made me appricate WFF. when you look at blogs and forums on surfing around WA what you find for the most part is hostility and egos. unfortunatly, that is the nature of surfing for some. Thanks to all for the enjoyable evening reading material.
  15. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    I've always wondered why surfers didn't have message boards such as WFF, and I suspect that ego and localism are the two big reasons.
    I'm kind of grateful that I'm an older --47 -- and mediocre surfer, as all that gives me perspective. I LOVE to surf and I LOVE to flyfish, but I know that there are bajillions of folks out there who have more talent and skill.
    I catch waves and I catch fish, and I spend a lot of time on the water. But there are always people who are better. No one surfing Westport is a pro-caliber surfer -- and so what?
    That doesn't mean everyone can't have fun and love every minute on the water.
    I suspect that surfers -- and fly anglers -- tend to mellow out with age and realize it's not all about kicking butt out there. It's really just about enjoying the outdoors and wringing a little more joy out of this world.