Westside guys. Why the interest in E. WA steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flyfis4fun, Oct 10, 2007.

1. flyfis4fun

flyfis4fun New Member

Okay guys. This has a been a question that has been on my mind for years so I am going to be brave and ask it. (It isn't intended to turn into a flame war or territorial pissing match so everybody, be on your best manners.)

Why are you guys on the wet side so interested in coming over to the dry side to fish for steelhead? You get far more access to steelhead for alot longer then we do over here so I guess I am always baffled to find so many of you guys over here going nuts with us dry siders like you haven't seen steelhead for 9 months (or in our case, a year and 9 months due to last years closure on the Methow.)

I have heard a few of you reference that the fish are more willing to strike over here compared to fish that are just in from the ocean. Is there much truth to that? What other factors draw you over here?

Just trying to understand my fellow fly fingers a bit more before I go and stake a claim to my rock this weekend in search of steel. :beer2:

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

for me:

reason 1: the rivers around me are packed to the brim with zombie pinks, as well as all the other overlapping salmon runs

reason 2: our summer runs in this area have been abysmal this year

reason 3: sometimes it's nice to take a drive and have some new scenery to take in

reason 4: i grew up in eastern wa.... so i've done paid my dues there :)

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Steelhead are steelhead no matter where they swim. I will go east, west, north and south to fish for them.

4. There aren't any over here.

5. PT

PT Physhicist

That and the fact they tend to look up a bit more than our fish over here.

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Steelhead are certianly more willing to move to the fly over here, and take natural, non motivating patterns. My opinion on this stems from the belief that as they get further from the ocean their trouty genes and behavior resurface.

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

It doesn't matter if the look up or down or where they swim; they are steelhead and I will fish for them anywhere they swim with any type of fly they will grab on whatever type of line is working at the time, floating, sinking, doesn't matter.

8. PT

PT Physhicist

LOWER GRANITE DAM
    DATE CHINOOK ADULT CHINOOK JACK SPRING CHINOOK ADULT SPRING CHINOOK JACK SUMMER CHINOOK ADULT SUMMER CHINOOK JACK FALL CHINOOK ADULT FALL CHINOOK JACK COHO ADULT COHO JACK STEELHEAD WILD STEELHEAD SHAD SOCKEYE LAMPREY CHUM PINK
    10/03/07 181 392 0 0 0 0 181 392 71 10 5558 1108 n/a 0 0 0 0
    10/04/07 140 361 0 0 0 0 140 361 77 13 4251 869 n/a 0 0 0 0
    10/05/07 187 379 0 0 0 0 187 379 108 8 4295 844 n/a 0 0 0 0
    10/06/07 212 229 0 0 0 0 212 229 113 22 5941 1223 n/a -1 -1 0 0
    10/07/07 77 121 0 0 0 0 77 121 46 8 3018 642 n/a 0 0 0 0
    10/08/07 131 116 0 0 0 0 131 116 90 14 3233 664 n/a 0 0 0 0
    10/09/07 114 179 0 0 0 0 114 179 68 7 2883 646 n/a 0 1 0 0
    YTD 39285 20611 22481 8971 7703 3393 9101 8247 1183 175 111670 23575 n/a 52 35 0

I'll give you 111,670 reasons!:thumb:

9. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

To get out of the rain.

10. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

To also scope out places to buy/build their second homes (not me, of course).

11. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Seconded.

12. JS

JS Active Member

OHHHHHH Snap! I love stereo types..........they are awesome!

13. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

iagree

Spot on, Adam. Plus, the change in scenery is cool and nothing beats the smell of sage on a frosty October morning!

CS

14. herl

herl Member

You guys have greener grass.

15. flyfis4fun

flyfis4fun New Member

So in other words, you all are a bunch of tail chasing, steelhead obsessing bunch of fly flingers that go where the fish are. Got ya!

Hope to see some of you on the river in the coming weeks.

Mike

16. JS

JS Active Member

In the end, are we all so different? I think not.:beer2:

17. Methow

Methow Active Member

Doing my rain dance....:rofl:

18. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

wtf send us rain man!

flow spike

Flow Spike

FLOW SPIKE

common lay some sugar on me. About 150 cfs worth of sugar.

19. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

I think you summed part of it up in your initial post. Since we have 12 months a year to chase steelhead here on the west side, it can be nice for a change of scenery - even if it lacks the true chromage we love so much over here. That said, I have yet to fish for steelhead on the east side. Too many options (from salmon, steelhead, trout, etc) closer to home. There's the OP, various decent lakes like Pass, fishing the salt year round, bulls\dollies, SRCs, etc etc.

20. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

As mentioned or steelhead returns have been dismal this year. Our salmon returns on the other hand have not been that bad and they are now everwhere to the point that it is more fun to stay off the river and drink a beer while watching football or MLB. Salmon move our fish around and just plain get in the say of the few rivers that still have some steelhead in them. Why not fish for salmon? Well because everyone and their dog is fishing for them and watching a few bad apples snag fish leans me to wanting to discharge firearms.

Are steelhead grabby more on the Eastside? Well yes because they are re-acclimated to being in freshwater and have started to remember their native instincts that they had when they were smolts. It is true some fresh fish are grabby straight from the ocean, but not so much with salmon in the rivers.

I personally fish the Eastside this time of year to get away from the same water I have been fishing all spring and summer. A change of scenery mixed with good swinging water and fish that have not seen many flies yet seems like a great idea. I doubt I will fish the Methow this Fall/Winter, but the Wenatchee is on my to do list for November. FYI, have steelhead, will travel.........