Westside Lakes Bass/Crappie

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by MasterAnglerTaylor, Apr 3, 2008.

1. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Anyone had any luck with either on this side. I know its still early but just seein if anyone had any successful goes at them.
  2. Kevin Rudzinski Member

Federal Way, WA.
    It is still early yet, especially after that unusual spring snow we saw last week. Im not planning on hitting my local pond until closer towards the end of April now. After that cold spell, water temps are still too low for the spiny rays to be active.
  3. Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Port Orchard,WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I am planning on giving it a try tomorrow afternoon so I will give you a report. I have done well on crappie in these temeratures so we'll see.

Clint
  4. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    I know its a little early cause we had some late winter weather come through. But usually march is the beginning of crappie, and then towards middle and end of april they do there spawning thing so they tend to move around more.

I will be looking forward to report.
  5. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    I was out the other day and did not see one Bass. Last year at this time the females where within sight looking for beds. Looks like rain and cool temps again in the forecast so it maybe some time.
  6. mozart Chris

Ferndale, WA
    Yeah, I'm not planning on hitting our local bass/bluegill lake until the temps start hitting the 60's at least. Though this is usually the time when the warm water species start becoming active, their spawning time is totally dependent on the temperature.
  7. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,164 / 1
    I'm going to hit one of my favorite bass lakes on Sunday. I don't expect much with the weather we've had, but the lake is super shallow so you never know. Last year really turned on the last week of April.
    I'll work the south side and see if I can see any fish moving. This will likely be a bobber watching trip for bows. I'll post a report when I get back.
  8. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    They don't need to be spawning for you to catch them. :confused: Look at dropoffs below the normal spawning beds. They will probably be staging there waiting for the beds to warm up a bit. Fish a little deeper than you typically would.
  9. lechetostado Can't wait for the next take!

Western, WA
    Head out to American Lake. Almost every shoreline or piece of structure will have some Rock Bass nearby. I have a lot of success pulling buggers for them. Not very big but put up a decent fight. There are other species around as well so it always seems like there is something to fish for.:thumb:
  10. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Yea i know they dont need to be, just dont know much in the way of the bottom structure of some of the lakes. I did find a little cool little site that had lakes by county and it had rough topo maps of lakes.
  11. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Since you're on the Kitsap Peninsula, I don't know how you feel about saving yourself the ferry fares and bridge tolls and driving south to the Key Peninsula to Bay Lake. Once the temps are high enough, you will find that lake to be spiny ray heaven. Several years ago, I brought a raft there (anything with close to zero draft is a good idea, as the milfoil scene there is totally out of hand) and flipped frog poppers to bass under the many overhanging branches. Non-stop action in the month of July!

Outside of the bass, I've heard that the WDFW have planted browns there to prey upon the smaller panfish that have taken over the lake. You can expect tons of perch, crappie, and bluegill. There are so many that when the resident osprey dive on the lake, it looks like they're kicking out a sonic boom on the surface of the water. Yes, that exploding wave is actually fish fleeing the birds. I think that happens closer to sunset, because the lower light angle allows the birds to get a lot closer to the fish. A crazy cool insane thing to see!

Check it out.
    --Dave E.
  12. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Washington lakes dot com has topos of some lakes. They do help a lot. Generally, if I am fishing for Bass early I look for potential spawning beds and head fom them towards the center of the lake until the water color changes drastically. This is eaiser if you can get a birds eye view before getting into the water or have a depth finder/topo. Work the edge of the dropoff which should be in line with the switch between light and dark colored water. :thumb:
  13. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    I didnt plan on taking any ferry rides or bridge tolls. I have had experience with crappie on lake leland in jefferson county, and tons of smallmouth. A couple years back you could go out for little and pull up about 20 of them and just have fun. Im gonna bring fly rod and ultra-light rod. The good eatings about to begin
  14. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,164 / 1
    Dave,
    I used to fish Bay Lake allot in the 80's. It had some really good rainbow fishing. Not sure about it bow fish now? Browns, that could be interesting.
    Another great bass lake on the KP is Long Lake near Port Orchard. Some serious toads there.
    Brian
  15. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Yea i also hear that wildcat has some beast. There will be some options here at end of april. I will for sure hit up some of them up.

Might venture down to bay lake one of these days then. Who knows when tho cause gas is getting REDICULOUSSSS, those long trips will need to be cut back :(
  16. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    I haven't fished Bay Lake for a while, because I'm float tube dependent these days. If I had a pontoon boat, I'd have seized the many opportunities I've let slide. The last time I did fish it, I resigned myself to fishing from the boat launch. I sure caught a lot of panfish when I wasn't pulling milfoil off of my hook.

With all the small panfish, I can only imagine some ridiculously large browns prowling Bay Lake--if the WDFW has continued stocking browns there. Let's keep our fingers crossed for those planning to fish there.