Wet fly recommendations

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Kulikov, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

I'm stocked with dry and nymph patterns for the season but having never really focused on fishing the wet fly, I'm seeking recommendations for standard, go to patterns, that should be in my fly box for rivers in Montana. With a week of rain and snow in the forecast, time at the tying desk is plentiful the next few days.

Sent from my little square phone thingy...

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

The gold ribbed hares ear (wet fly version), dark cahill, coachman and a gray muskrat version of the gold ribbed hare's ear. There's always soft hackles if you consider those wet flies. I have a box of just soft hackles.

Chris Johnson likes this.
  3. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

mini or micro leech patterns, traditional streamers, and ditto on the soft hackles.

4. zen leecher aka bill w

Here's one other for you that works.... the Orange Fishhawk.

I've had Ray Bergman's book "Trout" out for the past couple of weeks.

5. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Soft hackle birds nest. Pretty close to a soft hackle hares ear, but still deadly. Also make sure you have some basic partridge softys in different colors. Black and purple seem to work well.

6. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Carey special in a few different colors.

7. GAT

GAT Active Member

I agree with all of the above but recommend you also carry some Pheasant Tail Nymphs ... both with and without a gold bead head... sizes:
    12-16.

8. zen leecher aka bill w

Most of the flies called out here are nymphs by definition. A wet fly is something different.

9. Mark Kulikov

Thanks all. I've many PT, GRHE & Montana nymphs in several variations in the box. I'll check out the suggested soft hackles. Much appreciated.

10. GAT

GAT Active Member

That's true. If you want to really nit-pick, a soft hackle is not a "wet fly".

Traditional wet fly patterns include wings.

So, if a traditional wet fly pattern is something you're interested in fishing, I'd go with a Olive Slate (olive body, grey tail, mallard quill wings, grey hackle collar)

11. zen leecher aka bill w

I agree but still have a box of soft hackles. Works in almost every situation. Either that or Sylvester Nemes was a good story teller.

12. Mark Kulikov

Thanks all. I'll start with dressing several colors of the partridge series and develope a wet fly box from there. Much appreciated.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  13. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

This one works well anywhere , anytime .

14. Mark Kulikov

Thanks Brian. Appreciated.

15. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

Royal Coachman.

16. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Kind of depends on when and where your fishing. Last year I found the Partridge and Orange, Partridge and Green in size 12 and 14 to work well. Bailley's spiders in black, orange and yellow work very nicely tied on a size 14 dry fly hook. The Bailley's Black is my avatar. All three use the thread color for the body and a starling feather palmered halfway down the body. Jim Slattery's Triple Threat Caddis is also a great Montana wet fly. Tying instructions are here http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/091304fotw.php .

Gary Knowels and Ron McNeal like this.
  17. Michael v.d.Bogert

Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

18. Skilly

Skilly Member

For traditional wet flies I grew up using a Royal Coachman, Captain, Ginger Quill and Gray hackle yellow. My dad uncles and grandfathers all fished these same flies normally on a two or three fly cast. That was in the late 40s and early 50s. I still use the same patterns today.

Skilly

Michael v.d.Bogert likes this.
  19. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Potts Flies are a Montana "old reliable" and have been for years.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/Outdoors/Subject/SubjectRead.aspx?sid=22&aid=141162&type=T
    I don't use woven hackle, but you can improvise this by spinning horsetail or bear hair, and then grooming it back over the body & tying it down. The body has a woven belly; I use horsetail for the top & hackle . . . the belly is rod-wrapping thread (doubled & tied-in at the tail of the fly. Take the horsehair across, wrap the horsehair once with the rod-winding thread, reverse the horsehair back across the top, repeat until near the eye. Leave 1/8" to 3/16" or so of bare hook shank near the eye so you can spin the "hackle," spin, work the "hackle" back with your fingers, tie-off in place, tie a small head, and whip-finish.). Great Montana wet-fly pattern. A Montana "Old-Timer" showed me this method back in the '50's; reckon that I'm a Montana "Old Timer" now, lol & it's time to pass the torch . . . have fun!

20. GAT

GAT Active Member

I met Sylvester at the International FFF Conclave when it was held in Eugene... yes, he is indeed a good story teller.

I prefer soft hackles over traditional winged wet flies but I still try the traditional style from time to time when things are slow. Every now and then, a winged wet fly will work when a soft hackle won't.... so I carry both styles.