WFF / AEG Cowlitz Party Location and Directions

Discussion in 'Events' started by worldanglr, Nov 2, 2004.

1. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    AEG/WFF Cowlitz Party Location and Directions

Well as I posted earlier, our party location went out of business last week and is now owned by the bank. Owens and I went down yesterday, drove many miles, scouted numerous locations, and finally found one.

Riffe Lake Campground sits on some beautiful waterfront property on a hill overlooking Riffe Lake near the bustling town of Mossyrock. At the top of the campground is a sort of ampitheater cut out of the side of a hill with rough-hewn log seats all facing towards a stage. The owner likes to refer to it as the "Riffe Gorge". Every year she throws an event at the campground called "Riffe-Stock".

From the ampitheater the the road snakes down through the forest to the lake, and there are numerous beautiful campsites cut out of the forest. There are also RV sites, for those planning on bringing an RV, hookups are extra. The campground is located 11 miles from Blue Creek on the Cowlitz.

Riffe Lake Campground
    241 Osborne Rd
    Mossyrock, WA 98564
    (360) 983-8122

Here are the directions:

Take I-5 South (from Seattle)
    Take Exit 68, Highway 12 EAST
    Go 21 scenic miles to the town of Mossyrock
    Turn right on Williams Street which takes you into Mossyrock
    At the T intersection, go left on Mossyrock Rd East
    Head East for 2 1/2 miles
    At the Y in the road turn turn right on Swofford Road
    Head 2 more miles, staying left on Green Mountain Road
    200 yards after the fork in the road, turn left on Osborne Road
    Follow to end!

At the turn-off for Swofford Road and the turn-off for Osborne Road there are signs that say "Riffe Lake Campground". I'll also be posting up paper signs for the party at these two locations. If you get lost, try calling the number above.

For those of you who are bringing families or who would like to sleep somewhere not quite so noisy, 5 miles down the road is Mossyrock Park, a quiet campground run by Tacoma Power. More information on that campground can be found here: http://www.ci.tacoma.wa.us/power/parksandpower/cowlitz/parks_recreation/mossyrock.htm

The campground is reserved Thursday - Sunday, we'll be arriving mid-day on Thursday to set things up, if anyone is around and would like to help, that would be appreciated.

The entrance fee for the party is $25 and includes your camping fee, access to the 9 kegs of beer, and entertainment. You can pay cash at the party, or we'll have a PayPal page set up soon to pre-pay. See ya there!

2. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    Golden!!!

Nice work Ryan!! I can't wait it should be a F@#$%^ blast!!!!!

3. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    Ok, my offer on maps still stands. I can't figure out how to export them anywhere except to my GPS, but I can print them out... So any areas that anyone wants a map of I can print several copies and bring with me.

4. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jason, we're going to have a cork board hanging up by the tents to put fishing information, so if you want to print some extras, that'd be great!

5. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    SOunds like a plan to me, but my only question is how far from the campground should I go with the maps? I don't know the area too well other then getting to Rife Lake. ptyd

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I wouldn't worry to much about maps of the area as I sure we all have been scoping out areas to fish. Besides being that it is in November not too many waters are open. As to what little I have been at pouring over some of my many maps.

Jim

7. riverdog

riverdog Member

Media:
  8. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    Yes, those maps are pretty good. The only thing they don't show are the logging roads.

9. Bart

Bart New Member

Ryan,

Nice work - thanks.

I was looking also, but to beat the first one you had, I was looking for a bar with a fly shop on one side and a topless joint on the other.

Bart :thumb:

10. Bart

Bart New Member

Ryan,

I just noticed it has a camp for Primitive Groups. Perfect.

Bart :beer2:

11. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Media:
    Bart~ I dont know if a topless joint in that area would be a sight for sore eyes. Maybe partially blind eyes, or 2 cases of beer, but not good!! :hmmm:

There is one hell of a burger joint in morton called spiffys. Giant burgers and shakes to die for!! It has a sign on it that says EAT, so you know its good!

12. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks Bart, too bad about the topless joint :) Not sure if she's going to open the primitive group site as she said it's really muddy, but we rented the ENTIRE campground Thursday - Sunday :) There are some really nice campsites carved out of the woods, and there's also a beach for bonfires!

13. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    Speaking about bonfires... Anyone have any way of getting firewood?

I will be bringing a few tarps that I will setup as a canopy to keep my tent uder as long as there are good trees to tie up to.

14. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I bought a cord of wood for the party :) Hey, anyone have any tiki torches? Bring as many tarps and parachute cord as you can muster, there are plenty of trees in the camping area... Oh yeah, Brendan tells me Riffe Lake hold browns?

"This is Riffe Lake, and not an uncommon memory for those of you lucky enough to have spent a weekend wetting a line in her waters. With landlocked Coho, Catfish, Bass, Perch, Rainbow and the occasional German Brown, your bound to find something to bend your rod. And it doesn't matter if your fishing from a boat or shore."

http://www.westernwashington.com/recreation/daytrips/riffelk.php

15. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    Yeah, Rife holds some nice fish, but I am not sure how low the lake is, which could make fishing it a chore from shore or boat.

16. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Media:
    the lake isnt too low yet, it can change dramatically in a week though. It is a 23 mile long lake so there are places to fish.

17. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    To bring the pontoons or not to bring the pontoons, that is the question.

ptyd

18. Oneweight

Oneweight Member

Media:
    That is the question as I don't know this area at all.... Is everyone planning on bringing pontoons or is there decent bank fishing around here as well? I'll probably strap on the PAC 800 but my amigo who I'm towing down there is sans 'toon.... What's the word on this? Anybody got extra room in a driftboat for possibly one or two on Saturday? If not, I'll find him a boat.

thx and fired up for the trip!!

19. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jeff, I would bring your boat down if you can, you can float the Cowlitz or the Kalama and a couple of other rivers and lakes in the area. I'm bringing my watermaster along, and I'm sure quite a few people will be bringing there drift boats. If you can't find a boat for your buddy, you can rent them from James Dean Rentals (http://www.jamesdeanrentals.com/ you can book online). Jim will be coming to the party so you might even be able to talk him into bringing down the rental boat for you!

20. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'll have a couple WaterMasters down there myself. One of them will likely be available most of the time for demo / trial.