WFF backpacking meet. (brainstorm thread)

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Dustin Bise, May 3, 2009.

1. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Separating the hikers from the non-hikers wasn't my intent. It was to provide a suggestion for a spot that had two lakes and one river to fish. A person would have to be built like the Hulk to carry a float tube and gear along with the hiking/camping stuff.

I carried a float tube and waders once, just once. I also had the Sevylor raft and then graduated to the Curtis raft.

During the time I hiked to fish I generally found out that the better spots were a longish hike or a nasty scramble to get to. Easy hikes didn't hold nice fish.

Foss River lakes off of Highway 2 are nice exploring once one is up on the plateau. I fished those also. Did good using the Curtis raft.

2. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

lower lena lake..... last summr i found 80 feet of braided 1.5 inch rope that was soaking wet{i mean dripping when i picked it up} it had rained on my way up. i though it was cool so i carried it down from the lake. it weights about 15 pounds dry!

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Zen,

Sorry, I didn't mean to project your intentions. That looks like a good hike that would, along with offering two lake destinations with river fishing along the way, also tend to separate those who would be hikers and those who are hikers. Maybe it's age, but I found a few years ago that 11 miles is a long day for me. The last two miles just pounded my feet to genuinely sore. That's a lot of foot-falls in a day for a desk jockey. Still looks like a good hike. I've not hiked in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness area much.

Sg

4. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Turquoise is out right now as the upper half of the Icicle Cyn road is closed until at least the end of next summer. Check the Wenatchee NF website if you want details. Kinda screws up my plan for a lake I need to stock up that way this summer--I'll have to come in from the other side.

5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Another suggestion would be the Foss River lakes. It's a lot shorter distance to get to the lakes up on top. There's about 5 lakes up there to try depending on which ones a person would want to fish or hike to. I fished a couple of them (and with out referring to a map I can't name them) using my Curtis raft. Water is so clear that one can see the fish come up after the fly.

Keep your pack safe from marauding pine squirrels or they will burrow thru searching for snacks. They don't use the zippers either when they go searching.

6. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Bill,
    When my son was 9 yrs. old I took him on his first backpacking trip to those lakes for a week. He did great. We went in early Sept., the weather was perfect and we caught alot of fish. Saw some of the biggest fish I've ever seen in a high lake. Sure is a beautuful neighborhood, wild and rugged. Some of the best in our state IMO. Any serious backpacker or flyfisherman should consider seeing that country at least once. Would be a nice place for a small group to meet/camp but it's no easy trip. I gotta get back up there in a year or two, thanks for reminding me. Great memories.

7. Arthur Vakulchik

Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

i think it would be a cool idea to go up there. ive herd about them but ive never actually been up.

arthur

8. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Time for this Leavenworth local and former guide to weigh in: Allison, despite what on WNF's info site, there's lots of pressure from the locals to keep that section of the road closed for as long as we can, due to the desire to lessen the noise and traffic on the lower Icicle. Day trippers who want to picnic at one of the open campgrounds will now find that they're required to pony up the full overnight fee to do so, as well. Once they begin to hold their infomeetings, it'll only take one guy to threaten an environmental challenge, and that'll hold it up for a few more years. I rode the trail yesterday on the mtn bike, and above the washout, it's great right up to the end of the road. Horse traffic has increased, though, so you'll find "gifts" on a lot of the trails. Water level's still way high but coming down quickly, and we did catch a bunch of pan-sized fish.

Obviously, there's a ton of places to go, and decent spots in town to resupply with the necessities, AND we have a new cigar store called "Der Mann Shop" in town! Not that I'm putting in a plug for the town-we have enough tourists that it's not easy to find a place to park on the weekends. However, it's centrally located, the fishing's good, the scenery's spectacular, and it's not that hot in the high country if you have shade. Fires, as Allison has pointed out early on, are a no-no. Also, there's no fly shop here. Der Sportsmann sells a small selection of flies, leaders, etc, but they don't have a lot.

I'd like to thank Dustin for beginning this idea: I think it's a great one! I'd love to go, but I'll be playing with the new Clacka 16WF. Besides, sounds like a trip for you youngsters; go forth and have a ball!!

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Alex,

I'm not following your post. Are you saying that road access to the trailhead is closed as Allison indicated?

Sg

10. Arthur Vakulchik

so, i was just wondering.... is this thing even happening? it seems like it has lost all interest. just wondering...

arthur

11. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

I've lost interest in the campout, but I'm VERY interested in this Icicle closure. Had NO IDEA the locals would push for this. I would very strongly oppose that option in this case.

12. Arthur Vakulchik

so am i taking this as a yes, or a no......? :hmmm:

arthur

13. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Initially I didn't have an opinion one way or the other about reopening it, Allison, but I have to admit there's a ton of traffic on the weekends going up and down Icicle road. Somebody will probably make it a legal issue and it'll take a lot of time because they have to cut a new road, requiring an EIR. It's great for those of us who hunt once grouse season begins in September, because we can hunt the area easily, going all the way to the turnaround where the wilderness began, on our mountain bikes. Can't tell anything about fishing on the Icicle itself up to Rock Island campground because the river's still too high.

Salmo, it's closed a little above the actual end of the pavement where the road washed out. The slide diverted the river, which took out the road. There are numerous trailheads still accessible, but you can no longer drive to the end of the road where the wilderness trailhead began. You'll need to add an additional four miles to that hike one way now. You can get wilderness permits at the new signpost trailhead where the road's blocked off. What happened was, the road went out last May, and trapped campers who were in the upper campgrounds like Chatter Creek. So the forest service bulldozed a temporary access in order for the cars to be able to get out. They've gated that access since last season, and you can't drive any higher up the remaining dirt road now. Allison's correct, the upper half is closed. The temp access is well used,especially by horse folks, so you need to watch where you step. Sorry I wasn't clear on the closure.

14. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

i and another flyfishermannnn would be interested in this trip it sounds like a GREAT idea i've got a condo in town there and will be there sometime in sept

15. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Wouldn't the big chunk of land that gets logged up in the Doctor Creek area require the road being rebuilt?

If any mod wants to split off this Icicle discussion, I for one would not mind that, but I know it's a PITA to do so.