WFF is hosting a party with the Angling Exploration Group Nov 11th -14th

Discussion in 'Events' started by Chris Scoones, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Macks Canyon is a BLM campsite with 17 sites and 3 group sites, launch, and drinking water (for drymouth the day after) :rofl:

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Im calling the police. :eek:

3. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Based on the amount of alcoholics that showed up to last years party, I'd like to find a private campground to rent out for the four days. I'd also like it to be close to some other places where people who might actually want to fish and get up early and all that stuff can crash and not have to be afflicted by our loud blue grass playing and crazy irish-men reading poems.

On another note, I'd like to keep it in Washington. I'd also like to keep it a four hour drive or less for people that can only come for two days. I can only think of four places off the top of my head:

1) MarbleMount area on the Skagit
    - plenty of salmon and summer steelhead
    - trout fishing in the area, though not a lot
    - not too far away, and you don't have to cross any passes

2) SouthWestern Washington
    - plenty of good private campgrounds
    - excellent steelhead fishing and trout fishing
    - already crowded rivers
    - not too far away

3) Yakima River
    - Good camping sites
    - good trout fishing
    - no steelhead fishing
    - pretty damn crowded with 100 dudes

4) Olympic Peninsula
    - Last option is same site as last year
    - unpredicatable weather in November
    - in between runs of steelies
    - not much trout fishing

Any other suggestions and or comments?

Edit: I meant Southwest Washington, not Oregon.

4. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    What about the Cowlitz up around Packwood. I know 410 and 123 may be closed by then, but on Highway 12 is white pass and Leech lake and a bizzilion other unkown trout spots that may not be snowed in.

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

Hi

Skagit, Sauk, Cascade and Siuattle (Sp?) should all be open....Sauk is great for Dollies and I have heard of good things the last two years on the Cascade regarding both Dollies and Steelhead. Plus if a posse wanted to get together and bring tubes and do a 1/2 day trip.... I think Pass lake is about 60 minutes away. I know there are several Lakes that you can hike into...such as Twenty-Two ...has good fishing (or did 8 years ago)...there are others but names escape and I don't know about the fishing.

Sounds like FUN wherever it is.

6. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    trip

World anglr,
    If you find a sober site I am game I think for the weekned. Oregon sounds great to me but am fine with anywhere!

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    It would be nice to hold it close to home just once. Or maybe we could have it in Montana. But what the heck there are no steelhead there. Just big rainbows.

But being that I might or might not make it. I vote for the Marblemount area. Besides the Sauk and the Skagit you also have the Cascade river. And with my fear of heights,there are no passes to cross.

Jim Swan Esq. :beer1:

But you have to be aware that most lake in the Marblemount area are closed on the end of October. And Lake 22 isn't even close to that area. :ray1:

8. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Media:
    I like the Marblemount area a lot. Good options.... you can fish in the general area, drive west for Salt and lakes, or east over the pass for a day if you wanted. There are lots of tribs to poach in the area as well. I like it... :thumb: Get em.

~B
    :cool:

9. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    Good call on moving this from the Methow. I've not yet fished it but it's pretty small water and from what I've heard, the steelhead population there is pretty precarious, and turning 50 to 100 expert flyfishermen loose there might have had catastrophic results. Not to mention what this group would do...

Plus, it'll likely be pretty cold, which probably wouldn't dissuade some but might others, like me. Yeah, I know...I had to BUY my Team Rugged patch, and then promise only to wear it around the house.

:thumb:

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

I'm sorry...I don't doubt your knowledge of the area ...and I have put my maps away and to lazy to look it up on the web....But I swore Lake 22 (The trailhead) was right of the Mountain loop Hwy near the Cascade River or Skagit (can't remeber)...I know I hiked up a trail that was basically a creek under my feet for 2 plus miles (steep) there was still snow up there. This run-off or small creek crossed the Hwy and emptied into the river. Of course maybe I'm thinking of a different Lake. Oh well......Marblemount sounds good to me.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Lake 22 is on the Mountain Loop hiway but it is on the S/F Stilly.And as it is the Mountain Loop hiway is closed due to too many slides on the S/F Sauk. It is closed from Bedal Creek to the Bridge over the S/F just down from Barlow pass.

Jim

12. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    The lower D also has some killer lake fishing nearby. I will call a friend to get the locations, but i know there are some highdesert lakes that hold hogs. Ryan, good on ya for not holding it on the methow, i thought that might be a little small. Um, there are some other spots around there that have good trout fishing in small tribs. I have a guide friend who has grown up and fished on the river for 26 years, im sure he will be willing to give us some tips, maybe i can email him and post what he says here. When you say lower D, are u talking about like Mac's Canyon or maupin or near the lock gate or what? BTW, hardly anyone fishes the river on november, plus the steelies will be in, and the trouting is still pretty fair on nymphs fished deep or midges in the back eddies. This is certainly a river for you spey guys aswell. BTW, ryan is there an age limit? I better stay outta the beer, but i would love to come for the video realese among other things. Dont forget the Metolouis, spring creek so the water should be good. The D is also a
    "spring creek", although i dont think it has many characteristics of one by the time it gets to the lower parts.

Peace,
    Andy

Peace,
    Andy

13. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Re: the Skagit- All the tribs excluding the Sauk mainstem, but including the Cascade above the first bridge, the Suiattle, all the upriver creeks (Bacon, Damnation, etc) ... All close Oct 31.

14. Porter

Porter Active Member

Ouch for Marblemount.....

15. topflight121

topflight121 Josh Pearson

Game on

That sounds like a hell of an idea. It will be great to see everyone again, and hopefully catch a few.

And for those that like a good cigar, don't worry, the humidor is getting filled up.

cheers

josh :beer1:

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Nailknot

I don't know if I'm reading you right. But the Cascade is open above the bridge until the 28th of Feb. 2005 :ray1:

17. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    You're right Jim, Cascade is open for trout and steelhead above the bridge. It's a relatively small river though.

All other tribs, except for the Sauk mainstem, are closed Oct 31.

18. Mike Colagrossi

Mike Colagrossi Whammo!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Pack it Up and Lets Head to Oregon!!

My vote is on the Deschutes and agree with Zen, there is a ton of river to fish, people can mountain bike up the rail road tracks, float down the river, hike into lakes etc...

Just my opinion and I know it may be too far to go for some guys but I sure would like to make the trip. I will be at the party regardless but vote for oregon!!

Mike

19. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    That makes sense. Should I change the sites name now? OR FF'ing? No, make it within WA.

What about pushing it up to Oct 21-24 and having it on the Cascade / Suak / Stilly?

20. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    I vote for the Deschutes :)