WFF is hosting a party with the Angling Exploration Group Nov 11th -14th

Discussion in 'Events' started by Chris Scoones, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Just thought I would ask

But has anybody came up with a site yet. And if it isn't in a park,what are the costs going to be. This old man would like to know as to what,where,and how much. Because the time for being there is getting closer.?????????????????

Jim

2. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    Well Jim, from what Ryan said they were supposed to find out on Saturday about a site. Let's hope that it is all figured out so we can get the ball rolling.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    That was for last saturday. And being that I'm on my last legs I have to know so I won't up and die before I get to go. It's hard enough to make plans and if they fall apart I have to go to my back up plan. I guess you can say this old man is a worry wart.

Jim

4. Chris Stokesbary

Chris Stokesbary Member

Media:
    So I've never been on the Cowlitz, but have started doing my research.

For anyone that is familiar, is the stretch between boat launches at Barrier and Blue Creek mellow enough for a canoe?

...and if so, is that section fishy? My maps show sandbars and such that appear there is plenty of room to beach and fish along the way, but there's only so much you can get from a map, and I just won't have time to drive down there before hand. It could all be underwater for all I know.

If I need to ditch the canoe and bring pontoons I will!

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Are you a skilled whitewater canoeist?

I've only floated that section once in a driftboat. There are a couple of sections that I wouldn't want to run in a canoe. There is one rapids that is rated class II, but when we went over it at 6200cfs in the driftboat, it was no problem.
    I have a 13' Sportspal aluminum canoe, lined with foam and with thick foam sponsons on the outsides, mounted just below the gunwales. It is virtually un-capsizeable in flat water, and I take it on slower rivers all the time. During our float, I kept asking myself, "Would I want to be attempting this in my canoe?" My answer was often a resounding "No Way!!"

The float from Blue Creek to Mission would be safer in a canoe, once you made it past the hairball 90 degree turn at Blue Creek. I would pull over above the fast water there and line it around the inside bend on the left side of the river. Or if you are really good, and have two paddlers, and big cajones, try to shoot the fast water for a wild ride and provide some entertainment for the combat gear-fishers when you flip the thing! There are some other spots you might want to walk/line the canoe thru, but I forget exactly where.

But if you have a good pontoon, why would you want to attempt it in a canoe? In an often swift-flowing river, it is better to have two oars in the water at once to better control the boat. In a canoe, you must be paddling the damn thing faster than the current to have any control, and in fast water you should have two experienced paddlers to execute the insanity!

Just my humble opinion, for what it's worth.

Myself, I plan to check the flows and current speed at the launches at Blue Creek and Mission, and then decide if I want to power upstream (with my trolling motor) a short ways, or as far as I can, just to get some uncrowded water where I can cast. With all the partiers lining up(?), I volunteer to do my bit to thin the crowd. The runs in front of and above both launches looked do-able for this, if you know what you're doing. I'll make my final decision on whether to proceed with this plan at the boatramp.

By the way, I will be bringing two paddles and an extra floatation vest, just in case. But mainly if anyone wants to go with me to check out any nearby lakes that may be open, for variety's sake.

Jimbo

6. Chris Stokesbary

Chris Stokesbary Member

Media:
    Thanks for the detail! Exactly what I was hoping someone would know.

"But if you have a good pontoon, why would you want to attempt it in a canoe?"

Well at the time I didn't have a pontoon....but now I do. Bought a Buck's Southfork on Saturday. Now I'm dying to get it in the water and learn the ropes of this whole pontoon/river thing.

Either way after reading your post I'll be leaving the canoe at home.

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Swofford Pond is canoe-friendly

Hey Stokes! Considering the Party/campsite location, you might want to bring your canoe after all, for Swofford Pond. As long as the wind isn't howling, its canoe-friendly and open year-round. I'm bringing mine.
    Of course, your new pontoon would probably work there, too.

Swofford has trout, bass, perch, bluegill, and catfish. I fished there this Spring and caught a bunch of small (6"-10") largemouths and a few small perch on olive wooly buggers. Don't know what it is doing now, but it might be worth a go-out.

Jimbo