WFF Oly Pen Trip is Feb 18 and 19

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by James Mello, Jan 15, 2006.

1. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Like the title says.. The poll came up with the 18-19 of Feb as the number one choice of WFF members. So let's get this thread going. At this point I want to nail down the following by sometime by the end of this week....

As a heads up, John Hicks and I will be at the campsite (where ever it is) for the week prior to the 18th and 19th.

I've edited the post to show the state of where we are at, and the things we still need to worry about.

Things members need to know:
    ------------------------------

1) The site of the outing will be at the Oxbow Campground.

2) Uncle Jimmy will be donating the use of one of his drift boats for folks! If you want to use it, please make sure that you know what you are doing, and don't take any unneccesary risks! In general, if you don't feel like you can do it, deferr to someone who is an experienced rower! With that, PM me for the use of the boat. Tell me if you can row, or if you want to ride. I'll then do a lotto who gets to get on for those 2 days. It will be one rower and 2 sitters.

3) If you plan on floating with someone, Uncle Jimmy suggested that you bring PFD's. For safety sake, let's use this advice!

4) There will be a keg of Mac and Jacks available for general consumption. Since there's a whole keg, bring a big thirst as I don't want it to go to waste! :)

5) Banzi will bring 2 spey rigs!

6) Flybill will have a couple spey rods and lines with him.

7) There will be an unofficial pot luck on Saturday night. I'll be bringing fixin's for sloppy joes. If anyone feels up to it, try to bring a dish.

8) ht75 and Salmo_g will also have spey rigs.

9) ht75 == grilling machine. He'll be pickin up some dogs for us on that Saturday night!

Pending Questions:
    ------------------

1) Let's get a roster of folks we know are going to come so we can try to get campsites reserved ahead of time. This will allow John and I to try to squat on a couple of sites so you don't have to scramble for a place to sleep.

2) Wood, beer, food, and more wood. We need to figure out where we can get these staples, especially the beer.

3) Let's try to get a list of folks with Pontoons, rafts and drift boats. I would be nice to try to get folks partnered up so most people can float at least one of the days. This may be a bit ambitious, but overall it would be nice if we could arrange something like this.

4) Let's try to get a list of folks with cars and such so we can arrange for shuttles and carpools. It'd be nice to have to avoid folks having to pay for shuttles.

5) We need tarps! In order to make it so we can stand outside and have fun, we'll need some tarps. I have one tarp, but that just isn't going to be enough.

Current Roster
    --------------

andrew (sorta)
    flybill
    james
    john
    ht75
    Triggs
    fishingjunky15
    salmo g
    Porter
    Hedburner
    banzai
    flgator
    freestone angler
    ssickle
    worldanglr
    smulkowski
    05tacoma
    Backyard
    Banzai
    chadk
    Chris Scoones
    Crump
    goose575713
    jabseattle
    JEB
    John Hicks
    kal
    shawn k
    Zen Piscator

If there is anything that I missed, please post it either to this thread, or just email me at kingjamm@zoji.com

-- Cheers
    -- James

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

That is President's Weekend I believe? 3 day weekend for some....and the start of winter break for guys/gals with student age children....not that it makes a lot of difference. Just some Blah Blah....I'm always good for that.

Way to take the lead and get it going James.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Bogachiel State Park campground has a covered picnic shelter, restrooms, and showers too, I think. Probably a very good choice. I don't think the park's too busy that time of year, so reservations shouldn't be needed. Maybe someone should call and check that assumption.

It's probably harder to obtain dry firewood than an ample supply of good beer. I'm not into macro brew, so I'll be bringing micro from home, plus maybe a little high test Scotch to ward of the chills.

I'm going to plan to float and will have my 1-man raft. If someone in a similar situation wants to coordinate float-n-shuttle, that would be cool. I'll decide what river(s) to float just a few days ahead of time, at most.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

4. James Mello

So the Bogacheil state park at this time of year is first come first served. I'll try to call the ranger and get the skinny on this. I do also believe that the alcohol may be a non-starter according to state rules, but we'll see about that!

-- Cheers
    -- James

5. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

It would be nice to bring tarps and ropes and try to arrange a covered common area(s) near a fire pit. So if a bucnh of people each bring a tarp, we could have a relatively dry place to accomodate a lot of people.
    I'll be brining my pick up with a trailer hitch. I don't have a boat so I can help shuttle some people around.

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

Hi James
    What do you mean by this? non-starter? Most state parks allow alcohol it just has to be consumed at your camp site.... can't walk around or head to river or beach with it. (sorry if I misconstrued your statement)

7. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Sweet! I'm really glad this is all getting figured out. I'll be bringing a good bottle of scotch myself.

8. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

I am hoping to be out there. I am planning on bringing my Dad along.. he is older than oldman! We may opt for the "noncamping" accomodations.... I have both the Watermasters reserved. I have an SUV.

9. James Mello

Jason, would you be offended if John and I check out the watermasters for the few days before you get them? If so, no big deal... If you don't mind, we can easily meet up with you wherever you are going to camp and drop it off for you!

-- Cheers
    -- James

10. James Mello

Naw, you didn't misconstrue the statement. I was talking out of my a** so no big deal (except for a sheepish apology on my part).... I went and looked up the rules for the parks... Here it is cut and pasted from the state site :) In summary, *BEER ON*!

------------------------

Park hours vary depending on weather and season. However, all day-use areas close at dusk. Campers may enter parks until 10:00 p.m.

Campground check-in begins at 2:30 p.m. Check-out is at 1 p.m. Quiet hours are from 11 p.m. to 6:30 a.m., unless otherwise noted at the park.

During summer months, the maximum length of stay in any one park is 10 days. From Oct. 1 through March 30, the maximum stay is 20 days.

Campers may not "hold" campsites for parties who have not yet arrived.

Please use the trash cans and dumpsters to help keep parks clean. Recycling is encouraged in all Washington state Parks. In parks with a pack-it-in/pack-it-out program, visitors must carry out everything they have brought in.

Please do not harm wild plants or animals. Feeding of wildlife is strictly prohibited.

Please do not damage or remove any park facilities, including picnic tables and park signs.

Pets are allowed in most state parks but must be under physical control at all times on a leash no more than eight feet long. Owners are responsible for cleaning up after their pets. Pets are not permitted on designated swimming beaches.

Horses are allowed only in designated parks.

Glass bottles or metal cans are not allowed on swimming beaches.

Alcoholic beverages are permitted only in designated campground and picnic areas.

All Washington state laws are enforced in Washington state parks.

11. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

please PM me about this. until I have our plans nailed down, i want to hang on to them as I don't want to be w/o. If we decide to get a guide, then I will give you my reservation.

Jason

12. James Mello

Sounds good to me! :)

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

I won't be able to go. I'll probably be teaching a fly/jig tying seminar that weekend.

14. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Any Spey casters gonna be at the event?

15. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

Why do you guys always pick the weekend I can't go....... bawling: bawling:

I'll be getting home from Hawaii that weekend. Yeah, I know.... it's a tough job......

Have fun guys. Maybe next time.

16. hedburner

hedburner Member

I'm thinking I'll probably go to this. Should be a good oportunity to learn some stuff, and besides I've never have been over there.

17. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Bummer...every freakin' year ya'll pick a weekend I work. Some of you will have to start on Friday. That is the only day I can make it, then haul ass back to work on Saturday afternoon.

18. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Matt,
    James and I will be there all week. So you commin over on friday would be fine.

19. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

I will try to attend this event. :) I'll bring along my two 13' spey rigs (one 8/9 one 10/11) if some body would like to give one a try.

20. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

John,

I'll catch the last ferry over on Thursday Night. Should put me in the hood around two in the AM. Get a few winks and be ready to fish by sun up Friday morning.