WFF Oly Pen Trip is Feb 18 and 19

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by James Mello, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,618 / 0
    What punishment. A week with James is like a week without sunshine. I lasted a day with him and he broke me up all day with his BS. Fun to be with.

Jim
  2. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Hey Jim... You're coming... right!? :) I can't work on getting cranky with out proper training.... Besides, we can have a few :beer2:'s, and then sing like old buds! ptyd
  3. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +620 / 0
    My suggestion is for the Hoh Oxbow, more private and less noise issues with neighbors etc.

Minnie Peterson Camp on the Hoh is on the Upper Hoh Rainforest Road, about six miles from Hwy 101. Another camp, Willoughby Creek, is nearby- within a mile. Both are central to the Upper Hoh fishing and access. Tons of access for drifters and waders. They are primative camps; no water but decent toilets and garbage service, nice sites and firepits ( we should take out our own trash).

I know that Bogachiele State Park campground will be heavily supervised and late night revery may be stepped on.
  4. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +179 / 1
    Jim,

That is exactly why I need you there to help ward off James' selatious advances.
  5. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    So if we don't have any major objections in the next day, I'll cement Oxbow as the choice of places to be...
  6. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    so does this imply, river in shape or blown out, this is going to happen???
  7. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Yup... Come hell or high water John and I will be out there. At worst we'll just sit in the tent and light farts for a week... :thumb:

Hopefully the weather will cooperate, But of course if folks don't go out due to weather, that's understandable. I don't think there is a person on the site that would fault you for not wanting to go to the Hoh if it's running at 50k CFS.... :)
  8. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,569 / 0
    I've never stayed at Oxbow, but it's a good central location for fishing the Hoh. And only 12 miles to Forks in case of rain, . . . really serious rain. If the weather is favorable, I might go over a day or two early and make a serious fishing expedition out of it. I don't know if I've ever fished it more than two days without it going out, tho.

If it's at Oxbow instead of Bogy, then big tarps are gonna' be essential. Even in dry weather the picnic table benches are soaked.

James,

Are you thinking potluck for Saturday night? Or is that too complicated with such casual coordination?
  9. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    that's not a bad idea :) I think John and I will have issues coming up with decent potluck food, but I'll put it on the mainboard :) Lesse if we can get a real *MEAL* outta this :) This would go well with the beer I plan on getting.
  10. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm planning on being there. Got camping gear and such to bring too. I've been wanting to get to one of these get togeathers anyway for a long time. And I also really need a fishign fix. So yea....chances are that I will be there.........that is of course you all you old guys want an 18 yr old hanging around you.
  11. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    I want to be eighteen and I'll be there on Friday. Does that help?
  12. Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

Coeur d'Alene, ID
    If they ease up on customs between here and Pullman I'll be there.
  13. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Smul, are you leaving the republic of Idaho to come visit america. :rofl:
  14. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    updated the top level page with info on the campsite as well as other amenities!
  15. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,618 / 0
    Now you got me thinking about this thing. But I'm not into outdoor camping in the middle of winter. To me a cheap motel is roughing it.

Jim
  16. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Oh please please Jim you have to come. It just wouldn't be the same without you! :p
  17. worldanglr Member

Duvall, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I'll try to swing out, my vote is for the Oxbow, but I've got sentemental attachments to that campground... I've never found state parks to be good places to party, so I suppose it depends on the crowd :)
  18. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +665 / 5
    I've always loved Oxbow. My favorite place to stay. But, you're alot more secluded up in Minnie P (plus less traffic, since you don't have a launch there). Personally though, love the sound of the river rushing by. So my prefered choice (and a good one for a party).
  19. ssickle1 Slow and Low

Hood River, OR
    I thought there was a launch at minnie, I've only fished it twice. If girls are allowed (my wife not me) we might come out. Might come out anyway and say howdy. Have a raft, driftboat, spey rods. Sounds like crazy camping trip.
  20. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +620 / 0
    Yes, there is a Hoh put in and take out access near Minnie Peterson Camp, within 1/4 mile. lately it's been in rough shape.