WFF Oly Pen Trip is Feb 18 and 19

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by James Mello, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    What a nice bunch of folks to fish with and share a fire with. Our own member "Salmo G" outdid us all with his own "Roadkill Chili", which may be the best chili I ever ate, even if I do have appendicitis symptoms now. Mellow and Hicks set up a sweet camp, complete with a frozen keg of beer. We had enough food for an army. Where the hell was everyone?

Really, for those of you who whimped out, you really missed a nice time and beautiful weather.

Also; I have about $65 in left over groceries that I bought at the Thriftway to have for all of the people who said they were coming out.

bunch of humps! :rofl:

2. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    What was the head count? Count me as one of the wimps who didn't go!bawling:

3. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Media:
    7 or 8 people and about 100lbs of food. I ate all i could but my heart said nooooooo more! kept me warm at night though :rofl:

4. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    I gotta say, except for when Mello decided to down a half a bottle of whiskey in one pull, tear his shirt off while insulting our manhood, and take the drift boat through those rocks above oxbow* while sixfinger was standing on the bow yelling "I'm king of the world!"; it was a really good time. Having only 8 or so there made it nice cause everyone could talk to everyone else.
    Then that night we had a 5 course dinner. Started out with some scotch and applejack to warm up as the night cold settled in, then there was this awesome pot of Roadkill Chili. After we polished that off we had Sloppy Joes. I haven't had a Sloppy Joe in forever and it was sooooo good, I don't know why I wait so long between each Sloppy Joe. Then we had various hot dogs and sausages. Finally we polished it off with plenty of African Amber. I guess if you didn't eat meat and didn't drink it would have been a bad time for you, but for a drunken carnivore like me, it couldn't be beat.

*Do not try this yourself.***

*** Obviously James didn't do that and this was just an attempt at humor. James is a responsible sensible guy. No matter how much I begged or how many names I called him, he decided it was better not to risk everyone's life right before dinner.

5. mdjm66

mdjm66 Member

Media:
    I was one of those that didnt say I was going, but, thought about it all weekend!

I definitely want to get over to that area and do some steel hunting, I guess I wont be a goof and next time head on down.

6. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    That sounds pretty neat.

7. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ok, so sorry for not getting back to everyone earlier. I have had some family issues to attend to and just found out last night that some asshole stole my wife and I's credit card number and charged a bunch of shit on it. With that said, I will start in to the report.

The week started off with me arriving into Sea-Tac via a wonderful Jet Blue flight (I would recommend it to anyone) Leather seats and a personal LCD tv with 36 channels of tv. James and I shot down to Tacoma and started to get ready. The next morning, Sunday, we left for the O.P. After stopping in Sequim for some supplies we ended up at the Brightwater house, a bed and breakfast on the sol duc. Richard is an old steelhead junkie and archeologist. He has a great place out there. The next morning James and I met Bob Triggs for a crash course in swinging for steelhead. James has geared for them for years and I was a brand new spanking baby at it. I have to give it to Bob that he didn't say that he had to run to the store at noon and never come back. He stuck it out with us and even fed us an amazing lunch. Well, after swinging flies for the day we headed back to Ox bow and set up camp. Hid the keg downed some scotch and had chili for dinner. The weather for the next two days was just amazing....na don't let me shit you the weather was amazing the hole f-ing time we were out there. upper 40's to low 50's every day.

James and I continues to improve on our skills for the next two day and then on friday we went out with Steve Buckner another really cool guy. Floating the queets is something that anyone that considers himself/herself a steelheader should do. That river is to me like mecca for steelheading. Completely untouched by man on either bank. beautiful from start to finish. Well anyway Steve really helped me with my skills and helped me get into the mind of a steelhead.

Now, the weekend was pretty damn good. The fact that only eight people showed us really pissed me off but what the hell it's fishing right? The Keg and food will be consumed and I got to meet some really cool people. Like I mentioned any of you guys come out east look me up we will go striper fishing. Sloan, quit lying to everyone, it was you tearing your clothes off trying to dragg the drift boat down the rappids with your teeth.

After all was said and done I only had a couple taps all week but I really did accomplish what I went out there to do. I wanted to get back to my roots and learn the art of steelheading. James brought to hand a wonderful 7-8 pound crome beauty. The rivers were great. The weather was better than anyone could possibly dream for. And the guys that I met were absolutly top notch.

8. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    Nice report John. :thumb:

Honestly, the one thing that discouraged me from going was the large number of people who signed up. If I knew it was going to be only 8 guys, I would've gone in a heartbeat. Oh well.

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    You can plan on a lot,but you don't get a lot. We did this thing called a pot luck over at Dry Falls two years ago and half of the people that put their names on the list didn't show. Threw a lot of food away(plus lost some to a racoon). But the ones that did show up ate one hell of a lot of deep fried Catfish, but not much more.

But when one is having fun one really doesn't care who shows up. It's like you plan this and you are lucky that even half show up.

Jim