WFF Stillwater Series_4: Ethics & Etiquette

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tim Lockhart, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
  2. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

this is your best topic by far!!!
    thanks for posting all these

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

I agree with this whole-heartedly and very succinctly put.
    I am a huge of proponent of all this, particularly supplying assistance/info and the giving of flies. The latter has always been rewarding with either hearty "thank you's", flies returned with extras and even a bit "O" $$ left under my windshield wipers upon occasion. Always knocks me out; some people's gratitude.
    Under the heading of silence, I would only add incessntly barking dogs and screaming babies. Jesus!

All in all, some of the best presented info I've had the pleasure of reading.
    You continue to out-do yourself FF.
    My hat's off to you Sir.

4. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Ethics has to do with being people of honesty and integrity. Obey the law whether you agree or not. Pinch your hooks well if that is required. Don't litter, don't over fish, etc. Etiquette is basically common sense courtesy, treating others like you wish to be treated. Etiquette issues are often up for personal interpretation. So many of problems on over crowded rivers and lake come from etiquette and the interpretation of what is good behavior. Naturally ethical people will be in most circumstance also show good etiquette. Ethics should never be based upon "rationalization and justification" but on doing what is right morally and legally. Ethics can usually be well defined by law and tradition but etiquette can be up for personal interpretation.

Good Article - thanks.

Territorial issues, some people for some reason feel that certain areas of the lake belong to them, even though it is public water. I've seen some strange happenings when someone lays claim to their "sweet spot" and anyone who fishes theire "sweet spot" is out of line. On public waters you'd have to go through some kind of "rationalization and justification" to claim any section of lake is yours and yours alone, but I've seen it happen.

5. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

@ mark- i have been told i speak few words

6. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Of your examples of odd behavior on lakes, my experiences with territorial people are the ones I remember. I took my dad to a general regs basin lake in fall of 2009. The lake was turning over and even 10" fresh stockers were hard to come by. Two guys trolling with fly rods out of a small powerboat were working laps on a 50-yard section of bank and hooking fish every pass. I kept an eye on them from time to time. After they went back to camp, I rowed into "their" spot. They saw me and ran back to their boat to motor over and chase us out! I was entertained, dad was flustered.

We went back to the same lake this fall and shared a good laugh over the memory. This trip conditions were ideal and we had the place to ourselves.

7. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I am always amazed that folks can be territorial on public lakes. They don't seem to understand that they don't own that spot and when they leave their claim to that area is gone. I am glad you acted honorably.

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    FF you lost me with the quote from mumbles and all that common sense.

9. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Keith - I like your post. It can be fascinating to watch territorial behavior with some guys. Not so much verbal but all the body language and movement, it can be better than chess at times. Occasionally I'll try and befriend one of them just to see if I can, and some are surprisingly nice once you break through.

Ed - Thought I'd give you some exposure since no one knows who you are around here.

10. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    Another wonderful post FF, nicely done!:thumb:

Obviously you have the browns dialed in on Martha.

Having been fishing this lake for decades, I just found out not that long ago that they are in there ..

11. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Giving flies is always a great idea.....thanks to
    those that have helped me.

Dave

12. Islander

Islander Steve

FF says, "Some of the finer points of etiquette may be up for discussion, but not being an ass is universal."

No truer words were ever spoken. Good stuff man.